Notices

Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad?

I am wanting to turbo my LS and I found Maxrev's kit and I really like the price. But I don't know anything about them. Are they any good? Also people with boosted LS's (any kind or brand) what kind of power can I expect from it? What 1/4 mile times can I expect? And last but not least any advice for me, I am new to turboing. Also what is Hondata S200B? I don't know?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad? (spoonfed95)

They are very good kits overall, but many people do have some problems with them such as...

Manifold turbo flange rusting.
BOV not working correctly
DP not fitting properly.

To be honest with you, I think you should just take your time, and peice together your own setup.

A great place to start is with an InlinePro manifold, and Precision turbo.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad? (Bryson)

There are good things abotu it, and bad things about it.

I have the maxrev kit, some problems that I ran into.

-Didn't recieve enough piping for intercooler had to buy my own $$
-Did recieve a charge pipe, had to buy and make my own $$
-Manifold flange is rusting... not that big of a deal really, just looks nasty.
-DP didn't line up correctly, so I made a oddly slanted TestPipe for my car, I got lucky, cuase it is coming very close to htting my shifter linkage. Any closer and it would smack it everytime I shift.
-Didn't recieve enough oil lines, oil feed lines and such.

If you get the maxrev setup, don't think that you are getting a kit, know that you are only getting a beginner's SETUP, you still have a LOT of things that need to be done to get it to all fit, and a lot of custom piping to cut and measure and then weld together.

If you know what you are doing, it's actually pretty decent, but requires some extra customizing. But if you want something that is complete, and jsut want it to bolt on, then look somewhere else.

That's just my 2 cents.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad? (Bryson)

i liked mine... i have heard about the bov's not being too great. but i went with an hks ssq so i never ran into problems... and piping was never an issue since I went with drag piping, but that was a whole other headache.
i haven't noticed rusting, but that is probably due to painting my manifold flat black.
the biggest annoying part was having to piece together all my own bolts, the kit came with none.
the intercooler was quite nice though.

the DP fit perfectly... but there were other random things that i ran into.

oh yeah, and for some reason the oil feed kit was missing pieces.. which made for many trips to OSH...
Old 05-23-2003, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad? (Ruckus138)

Contact WhiteDSM520 on here about it. He'll give you the lowdown on MaxRev. It's local to us
Old 05-23-2003, 03:34 AM

I have the MR kit. I'm very happy eith it although I needed a lot more piping than what was supplied.

I think the Bov at 9psi sounded really really sweet. I think I'm the only one... Mine sounds exactly the same as the Blitz!!!

I had no probs with fitting or rusting.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the DP was my biggest disappointment... they jigged it up for the civic SI so fitment was off with integras...from what some employes have told me.

I didnt have a problem with piping because i sold the maxrev IC and bought me a greddy IC which came with all the piping i needed.

But all in all im happy with the kit. its a great starter kit for beginners.

If you know what your doing, piece the kit together. the hardest thing i can see you running into is getting piping made. you can buy oil feed lines and fittings from stan.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad? (Cramerox)

Well, well, Now I am not sure if it will be a good idea. I don't really have the time to screw around with making parts or buying more stuff. I do like the DRAG turbo kits and Revhards turbo kit, any advice on those? Also I read in an old super street that the LS tranny is the best tranny for turbo apps is this true? Thanks for all the great advice.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonfed95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, well, Now I am not sure if it will be a good idea. I don't really have the time to screw around with making parts or buying more stuff. I do like the DRAG turbo kits and Revhards turbo kit, any advice on those? Also I read in an old super street that the LS tranny is the best tranny for turbo apps is this true? Thanks for all the great advice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Revhard kit's IMO, are the best pre assembled kit's out there for the price. They are known for thier superior fitment, as well as their power output. If you can do a precision turbo upgrade. I have heard that "afterhourz racing" can do that for you...

The "LS tranny is better for boost" is a wives tale. It will effectively reduce the torque output of every gear compared to say a GSR tranny. The best way to go about things is to set the car up correctly in the suspension/tire/wheel department.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maxrev Turbo kits, Good or Bad? (Snafu-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snafu-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are good things abotu it, and bad things about it.

I have the maxrev kit, some problems that I ran into.

-Didn't recieve enough piping for intercooler had to buy my own $$
-Did recieve a charge pipe, had to buy and make my own $$
-Manifold flange is rusting... not that big of a deal really, just looks nasty.
-DP didn't line up correctly, so I made a oddly slanted TestPipe for my car, I got lucky, cuase it is coming very close to htting my shifter linkage. Any closer and it would smack it everytime I shift.
-Didn't recieve enough oil lines, oil feed lines and such.

If you get the maxrev setup, don't think that you are getting a kit, know that you are only getting a beginner's SETUP, you still have a LOT of things that need to be done to get it to all fit, and a lot of custom piping to cut and measure and then weld together.

If you know what you are doing, it's actually pretty decent, but requires some extra customizing. But if you want something that is complete, and jsut want it to bolt on, then look somewhere else.

That's just my 2 cents. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its a lot better now. they usually give you about 5 90 degree bends and 1 45 degree bend. with mine, they gave me 1 45 degree, and 7 90 degree bends. so they fixed that issue. mine came with all the oil fittings and such. the dp can be adjusted supposedly by adjusting mani-turbo bolts and dp-turbo bolts. i dunno about this, ill find out next week. this is a custom kit pretty much, btu you learn so much if u can tackle it. for the money its really worth it.

krazy