Notices

Custom H22 Supercharger anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom H22 Supercharger anyone???

Hi all, UK luder with a 4th gen VTEC.

Been reading around Superchargers for an age now and have decided to take the plunge at the end of this year.

I've seen a few guys with the JRSC setup with minor 'persuasion' to the strut tower. Great and I bet it would be a bundle of fun. But they aint cheap to buy and I want more out of the setup including lower intake temps. So would want the SC before the throttle body to run a FIMC.

Soooo...thinking of building a kit myself. MCDaniels B series thread is an inspiration and so I have been looking around at what options I have. I came across this very interesting 5th gen in Slovakia with a Merc M62 clutched pulley:

http://www.atmag.sk/clanky/hardcore/...-22-kompresor/

He's overcome the rotor direction problem by flipping the charger over and mounting it in the bumper recess. Impressive but I can't see how it is fixed. Surely it has to be fixed to the engine for when it torques? Or would an auto tensioner sort this issue out???

I'm thinking along the same lines with the same Merc Eaton M62. similar to the above setup with an FMIC, a Bosch bypass valve (cheap), but one intake tubing to the throttle body. I don't quite understand why he has a Y joint with another standard intake coming in elsewhere??? Unless anyone can enlighten me? The engine is standard apart from an Apexi induction kit, decat, catback exhaust. I have a chipped P28 to run on crome to tune and plan to add some DSM 440 or 510cc injectors and Walbro 255lph fuel pump. Anything else to consider?

Anyone else know of any other custom SC installs onto the 4th or 5th gen H22, or even in any engine swaps? I've seen two others, one guy on PP with a SC12 MR2 SC on his H23 and a custom setup on a H22 on 92lude.com but no details and one picture.

So anyone else or any things to consider?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Custom H22 Supercharger anyone???

No-one???

Looks like I'll be leading the way on this one.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Now i installing my Eaton M62 from Mercedes SLK on H22... with liquid intercoler...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah finally someone!

So please tell me more. Are you just in the planning stages at the moment or have you started your build?

Do you have any more info or pics?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anymore info buddy?

Need to bring our ideas together on this, as there isn't much around to work from.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where can i find the part 988-101 for the GSR jrs set up? i bought the charger used and it didn't come with this pulley bracket. it looks like it replaces the stock alternator bracket.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by support1
Now i installing my Eaton M62 from Mercedes SLK on H22... with liquid intercoler...
That SC is undersized for the B18C engines! I'd imagine it's GROSSLY undersized for a H22.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by C_Rock77
That SC is undersized for the B18C engines! I'd imagine it's GROSSLY undersized for a H22.
How'd you figure that exactly?

It's the same sized charger as the Jackson Racing kits for both engines???

I'll agree it has it's limits depending on what goals your setting yourself, but 250-300whp is more than obtainable especially if you can manage to keep intake temps down. Going custom before the throttle body will allow an FMIC to be run.

I'd love to try an M90, but for now I think the M62 will be sufficient enough. Unless anyone can explain otherwise?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For 250-300 you can just run the JRSC kit on an H22.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, just the man! Loving your M90 build on your B series thread.

While the JRSC kit would good for those figures, it is also £££ (or $$$ to you guys!). Mine is a 4th gen Prelude but that certainly doesn't put me off as I've seen and read plenty to get it to fit (which TBH is only minor).

It was certainly my initial option for ease of installation and simple bolt on boost, but you pay through the nose for the the hard guesswork of the fabrication to have been done for you. We have 'official' distributors for JRSC over here in the UK, but they're an absolute rip off. They want nearly £3k for the kit and that's in pounds. So more like $4,500 to you guys. Just aint right.

Was planning to save for the kit anyway and go this route, until I found the link above fitting the M62 Merc charger in that location. I thought it was genius TBH. Plus I like the idea of the clutched pulley, which could potentially be wired to a switch for on/off boost as and when I need it???

The custom route just seemed a little more like reality when I found the 5th gen above done and reading your B series build RMC. It would be a hell of alot cheaper than the JRSC but would require something I can afford = TIME. It's not a daily driver now and I have plenty of fabricating friends (which is always handy). Who knows maybe it's too much and I should just save my pennies???

What's the view on winding up the boost on the JRSC kit to a 9 pound pulley though with regards to intake temps and potential knock? All on a stock block mind - UKDM model with 10.1:1 compression. But we do have ample 98/99 RON fuel to hand here.

Any more views would be most helpful guys.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by nucleustylz lude
No-one???

Looks like I'll be leading the way on this one.
hey you may have more luck/responses on preludepower.com
Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never bought a new one; all of mine have come from ebay. I think the most that I ever paid for a JRSC was $2K, and that had an Endyn blower on it. That's why I was thinking just get a kit vice fabricating something.

The blower will push the air for 250-300, that's been pretty well proven at this point, and changing the mounting location should do nothing but good for it. Doesn't an H22 have the alternator on the front though? I ditched my AC and PS for my setup, but ditching the alternator is going to make for some pretty short trips.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DfwBB6
hey you may have more luck/responses on preludepower.com
Thanks will see what else I can find out over there.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rmcdaniels
I never bought a new one; all of mine have come from ebay. I think the most that I ever paid for a JRSC was $2K, and that had an Endyn blower on it. That's why I was thinking just get a kit vice fabricating something.

The blower will push the air for 250-300, that's been pretty well proven at this point, and changing the mounting location should do nothing but good for it. Doesn't an H22 have the alternator on the front though? I ditched my AC and PS for my setup, but ditching the alternator is going to make for some pretty short trips.
I notice there are quite a few more JRSC kits knocking around for your engine though. H22 kit seems a little harder to come by, especially to get from the US to the UK. I've only seen one JRSC kitted 5th gen in the UK to be honest. A second hand kit would be ideal, so if any come up guys let me know. :D

Yep read most setups on here and understand the physical limitations of the blower, but that power would be well received. The poor design of the JRSC kit on the intake manifold is unfortunate but it does sound like plenty of guys run it with no problems. Hence why I was asking if winding up the boost is gonna change that reliability?

As for accessories running of the belt. Unfortunately mine has them all, but if going custom I'm more than prepared to ditch the AC and PS. Doesn't particularly get too hot here, nothing that a window down can't sort out. :D Plus I could do with a workout on my arms! :D

Alternator eh? Mmm didn't think of that for the same location as yours. Probably another reason why the guy in the link at the top of these posts has mounted in the bumper recess maybe? You can clearly see the alternator is still there. Although the alternator is mounted about midway. Maybe there's room for an M62 (as opposed to your beast of an M90 :D ).

Well lot's to think about then. Was gonna pick up an M62 of ebay and just see what's feasible now. Save up some notes over the next few months and keep an eye out for a second hand JRSC kit I guess.

Cheers guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason you've only seen a JRSC kit on a 5th gen is because they only made it for a 5th gen. The only thing that needs to be modified for it to fit in the 4th gen is you need to modify the shock tower a little to fit the pully.

RC- Yes the H22/prelude alternator is in the front of the engine. From top to bottom it goes PS - ALT - AC. Though there are kits make by explicitspeed to move the alternator from its stock location to the AC's position.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95greenlude
The reason you've only seen a JRSC kit on a 5th gen is because they only made it for a 5th gen. The only thing that needs to be modified for it to fit in the 4th gen is you need to modify the shock tower a little to fit the pully.
Really? Did I not mention all this earlier. I hate to say it as I am new on here but read the post bud.

Originally Posted by 95greenlude
Though there are kits make by explicitspeed to move the alternator from its stock location to the AC's position.
This on the other hand is very helpful, much appreciated. :D