Notices

Matteggy's B18b1 Turbo Build- What are the advantages of Boring out the cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Matteggy's B18b1 Turbo Build- What are the advantages of Boring out the cylinder?

Originally Posted by Matteggy
So does anybody know anything about the quality of Nippon turbo pistons?

Nippon quality yo!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Matteggy's B18b1 Turbo Build- What are the advantages of Boring out the cylinder?

Alot of guys have used nippon "turbo" pistons up.to 500whp with success. I have a set that ill be using in my new engine this spring.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
Alot of guys have used nippon "turbo" pistons up.to 500whp with success. I have a set that ill be using in my new engine this spring.
Yessir.. Same sentiment I had when I got em.. "Lots of folks have used em with success"... Wondering if the OP is a gambling man? Lol

Stay away from cast pistons.

This has been a free public service announcement. Thank you for your time!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:44 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

That's rather odd...I don't see any members on here or know of anyone that has "Nippon" pistons making that kind of power. Must be the same folks who are glorifying those GARBAGE 1500 watt car amplifiers, ….smaller than the size of a paperback book. LOL
Old 03-06-2019, 05:56 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

In the grand scheme of the costs of rebuilding the engine, a few more hundred dollars isn't going to matter, and at some point you'll find yourself wondering why you didn't just go with forged pistons in the first place.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Yessir.. Same sentiment I had when I got em.. "Lots of folks have used em with success"... Wondering if the OP is a gambling man? Lol

Stay away from cast pistons.

This has been a free public service announcement. Thank you for your time!
I love that lol I and dead set on forged pistons. I was only wandering because I’ve seen a bunch of people super confident about using them for an all motor build with good experience but I see these are “turbo” cast pistons so I was wandering what they would be like. Idk if I wanna get greedy and take the gamble so I might just settle with the deal on the rods and pay full price for the pistons when I know what size I need. Keeping my power goals in mind though, these pistons aren’t completely out of the question
Old 03-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
In the grand scheme of the costs of rebuilding the engine, a few more hundred dollars isn't going to matter, and at some point you'll find yourself wondering why you didn't just go with forged pistons in the first place.
you have a good point there
Old 03-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’ve seen a bunch of people super confident about using them for an all motor build with good experience
And such is true. All motor, they are better than stock by a great deal. Just not turbo.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
That's rather odd...I don't see any members on here or know of anyone that has "Nippon" pistons making that kind of power. Must be the same folks who are glorifying those GARBAGE 1500 watt car amplifiers, ….smaller than the size of a paperback book. LOL
boosted94gsr had them in his car and it was making 470-500 running high 10s at 130+. i also know of a few guys that were tuned by the same shop that tunes my car and theyre making similar numbers on those pistons.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

boosted94gsr had them in his car and it was making 470-500 running high 10s at 130+. i also know of a few guys that were tuned by the same shop that tunes my car and theyre making similar numbers on those pistons.

I'd say they are just a big a gamble as an Ebay turbo kit. Some do well, others go down in flames..
MY experience with Nippons was not a good one. Would they have held had they not contacted my valves? Who knows. All I know is they hit valves and the valves were unharmed in any way but the pistons (1 and 3) split, as pictured above.. This says shitty piston..
Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how did they hit the valves?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how did they hit the valves?
T-belt slipped a couple teeth.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks. i mean.. the pistons didnt break because of cylinder pressure so i dont think its a fair assessment. sure, a forged piston would have survived that, maybe a stock honda piston would have too, who knows. but the pistons didnt break because of normal use. they broke because they impact a steel valve at high speed. to date, ive not heard of anyone breaking these under 500 whp under normal conditions.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks. i mean.. the pistons didnt break because of cylinder pressure so i dont think its a fair assessment. sure, a forged piston would have survived that, maybe a stock honda piston would have too, who knows. but the pistons didnt break because of normal use. they broke because they impact a steel valve at high speed. to date, ive not heard of anyone breaking these under 500 whp under normal conditions.
I'm pretty sure the highlighted statement is why. That's the best I could figure myself. I am almost certain forged would have survived that for sure, heck, maybe even the valves. If you look at my pic I posted above, you can see the "bite" the intake valves took into the piston. Really not much at all. And the only 2 pistons that were contacted; were also the only ones to crack. I've seen instances where valves became embedded into the piston. Machined valve relief would have left me with room to spare in this instance. Putting this all together, the conclusion was drawn that cast pistons are just bad joo joo. Unless I was incredibly unlucky and got a bad batch. Lol!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure the highlighted statement is why. That's the best I could figure myself. I am almost certain forged would have survived that for sure, heck, maybe even the valves. If you look at my pic I posted above, you can see the "bite" the intake valves took into the piston. Really not much at all. And the only 2 pistons that were contacted; were also the only ones to crack. I've seen instances where valves became embedded into the piston. Machined valve relief would have left me with room to spare in this instance. Putting this all together, the conclusion was drawn that cast pistons are just bad joo joo. Unless I was incredibly unlucky and got a bad batch. Lol!
yea just sounds like an unlucky situation in general. aside from unusual events like p2v contact, im pretty confident in those pistons. are they the best choice for someone making 400+, no, but theyre proven to be pretty reliable. And for guys like me who are using stock sleeves, they offer the benefit of using OEM p2w clearances and have oem-like expansion rates so i dont have to deal with piston slap. i cant personally vouch for them, as they are still sitting in the box at my house, but ill report about them with honesty once i get my new engine assembled.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Judging from what everyone is saying, I’m probably gonna stick with forged unless something changes my mind at the last minute. It just seems like the value of forged pistons can't really be matched, even with my hp goals. Trying to do it right the first time. What I really wanna know now though, is your opinion on camshafts. I’m told b18b cams can take boost really well so I was considering a set of stage 1 n/a crowed cams, but at the same time I don’t want to question at any point after my build if my cams are sufficient or if there is valve float so I was primarily considering stage 2 turbo purposes cams, I just don’t know how they would affect my mpg. Remember, 25-300hp current goal. Any input?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Judging from what everyone is saying, I’m probably gonna stick with forged unless something changes my mind at the last minute. It just seems like the value of forged pistons can't really be matched, even with my hp goals. Trying to do it right the first time. What I really wanna know now though, is your opinion on camshafts. I’m told b18b cams can take boost really well so I was considering a set of stage 1 n/a crowed cams, but at the same time I don’t want to question at any point after my build if my cams are sufficient or if there is valve float so I was primarily considering stage 2 turbo purposes cams, I just don’t know how they would affect my mpg. Remember, 25-300hp current goal. Any input?
As important as cams are, they should honestly be the last item selected. You'll want to have your setup figured first, then pick out the cams best suited for that.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As important as cams are, they should honestly be the last item selected. You'll want to have your setup figured first, then pick out the cams best suited for that.
I already have my setup down for the most part. I have a gt28 T3 and I’m just trying to get all the basic parts together for it’s install. I wasn’t thinking about running all that high of boost, probably no more than 10lbs, 6 or 7 to start. I think the biggest components I’d need to get in line now would be the intake, fuel injector size, and a hondata. What other factors should I look at when picking a set of cams? I’m prepared to buy a new set of valves, springs, and retainers to match as well. Keep in mind it’s gonna be a daily
Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have my setup down for the most part. I have a gt28 T3 and I’m just trying to get all the basic parts together for it’s install. I wasn’t thinking about running all that high of boost, probably no more than 10lbs, 6 or 7 to start. I think the biggest components I’d need to get in line now would be the intake, fuel injector size, and a hondata. What other factors should I look at when picking a set of cams? I’m prepared to buy a new set of valves, springs, and retainers to match as well. Keep in mind it’s gonna be a daily
stock should be fine then with that particular setup.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock should be fine then with that particular setup.
alright I’ll see what condition my cams are in and decide whether I should get new ones or not. Will probably go with crower stage 1. I know you can’t really upgrade cams without upgrading the springs and retainers, but does it work the other way around? Upgrading the valvetrain with stock cams?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it work the other way around? Upgrading the valvetrain with stock cams?
Absolutely!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Absolutely!
Ok I thought so. then I’ll probably buy them in a full set if I do get new cams
Old 03-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone have any opinions on a specific intake manifold?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Does anyone have any opinions on a specific intake manifold?
Nope. Not for a B18B1. Not many options, and none are needed for your power goals and use. OEM is perfectly fine. If you're current IM is physically in bad shape, get a SKUNK2 PRO IM, and call it a wrap
Old 03-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Nope. Not for a B18B1. Not many options, and none are needed for your power goals and use. OEM is perfectly fine. If you're current IM is physically in bad shape, get a SKUNK2 PRO IM, and call it a wrap
Perfect. I’ll keep the thread updated. Thank you

Quick Reply: Matteggy's B18b1 Turbo Build- What are the advantages of Boring out the cylinder?