Notices

Material question on oil fittings/lines (steel, brass, alum, stainless???) also question on flexibil

Old 08-08-2003, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Material question on oil fittings/lines (steel, brass, alum, stainless???) also question on flexibil

First issue. Which material is suppose to be used for oil feed return.

Like i heard brass isnt' good.. but how about steel, stainless steel or alumnium. Can i mix both steel and alumnium (eg. steel fittings but with alunminum tee's)

2. How flexible are like -3an size braided stainless steel lines, because i just want to run ONE "Male BSPT to female NPT" fitting on the back of my block, so it's striaght out, then i run my -3an oil braided line which has a AN to NPT on the ends to fit that other fitting and tee's.

I'm asking if i need some kind of 90 degree **** so the line can come straight up instead of like horizontal then curving, maybe it can't curve that much?

Also, if you decide to tee ON THE FIREwall, how much slack is needed for my engine, (d16y8 on 98 hatch). and also how long? 2 feet?

thanks and hope you guys can help me out!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with using brass?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stinker504)

hey i got a complete oil feed/oil return kit from flamenco-t. He gave me stainless steel braided lines, and everything else i needed
Old 08-08-2003, 09:42 PM

Default Re: (hotboi850)

can somehow help me out, i never handled these lines before so i don't know the stiffness or flexiblity of them.. and i haven't been to a dyno before so i don't know how much my engine flexes.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:42 PM

Default Re: (reignofchaos)

Old 08-09-2003, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Material question on oil fittings/lines (steel, brass, alum, stainless???) also question on flex

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reignofchaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First issue. Which material is suppose to be used for oil feed return.

Like i heard brass isnt' good.. but how about steel, stainless steel or alumnium. Can i mix both steel and alumnium (eg. steel fittings but with alunminum tee's)

2. How flexible are like -3an size braided stainless steel lines, because i just want to run ONE "Male BSPT to female NPT" fitting on the back of my block, so it's striaght out, then i run my -3an oil braided line which has a AN to NPT on the ends to fit that other fitting and tee's.

I'm asking if i need some kind of 90 degree **** so the line can come straight up instead of like horizontal then curving, maybe it can't curve that much?

Also, if you decide to tee ON THE FIREwall, how much slack is needed for my engine, (d16y8 on 98 hatch). and also how long? 2 feet?

thanks and hope you guys can help me out!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I wouldn't worry about the feed line being curved too much, it's basically a rubber hose with stainless steel wrapped around it, and the line will be pressurized with oil so as long as there are no kinks in it you should be fine.

And the only time I've heard people having trouble with brass fittings breaking is when they have too much weight hanging on the fitting eg (after market oil pressure guage). What you have described sounds fine, you don't really need to "T" it out to the firewall unless you have an aftermarket oil pressure guage.