Notices

manifold seperated from down pipe; damaging to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manifold seperated from down pipe; damaging to drive?

i realized that the manfiold has cracked where it connects to the downpipe.

I am not sure if my car is now eating/spewing fluids, running lean/rich, blah blah blah since the turbo obviously is not in operation as there is no air/pressure going into the downpipe and from there through the rest of the turbo system.

i have been driving the car like this for about 3 weeks and for the first week before i knew there was a severely damage component (at first i thought it was just my bov stuck open) i actually would even put 200 miles a day on it sometimes, driving around going 80-90 on the highway...

im guessing it isnt good but other than the turbo and downpipe falling off onto the road and my car and my body being destroyed, under the hood i should be ok to drive until i get it fixed i guess since its been used so much and nothing has gone wrong? i would expect if the car was tuned for such a different amount of fuel/oil/air at any part of the system at any point during driving it would have serious and destructive consequences that would have taken place by now right?

my guess, and im probably wrong..., is that my car wasn't set for much higher then stock fuel/oil/air flow that the engine without the turbo in play can handle it alright at least for the medium term?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Default Re: manifold seperated from down pipe; damaging to drive?

i understand what your saying, but your question sounds like your asking yourself a question in third person almost lol

anyways, idk if youll be ok or youll see some effects of your turbo. most if not all handmade manifolds come with a life time warranty...assuming you have one made by a known shop. can you post a picture where this crack is at because you said its at the manifold meets the dp. i dont see how that can be so because the dp should be on the hot side of the turbo and not the manifold...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im an idiot and was incorrect in what i said earlier.

i mean where the turbo manifold connects to the turbo. so the exhaust from my engine is now just flying out of the whole into my engine bay/onto the turbo lying against my engine...not so good im sure.

surprisingly to me at least with all that hot exhaust'ness flying out of the manifold bottom into my engine, my temp reading on the dash stay perfectly in the middle whenever im driving. once when i stopped at a mcdonalds drive through i noticed after a couple minutes of literally not moving whatsoever my temps started creeping up to max, so i just drove forward like a foot or two and it went down. then ended up turning my car off it was taking so long. damn you mcdonalds.

with the hundreds of miles and weeks of driving ive done ive almost answered the question myself of is this severely damaging to my car, but it could still be something that just takes time. maybe driving like this is slowly causing damage to something that eventually will lead to catastrophic damage.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

so its cracked at the flange to be exact. well...
if you like playing with fire then youll just get burned, am i right or am i right?
i wouldnt chance it at all until i remove the manifold and get it fixed correctly. when the flange has cracked more than enough away from the manifold, the turbo will fall with the exhaust and in the process pull the feed and return line with it allowing oil to spill everywhere. this will cause a fire and force you to pull over and run from your vehicle avoiding serious injury. this may sound funny but its very true and honestly i dont think you want to put your life and others in danger because your lack of responsibility on a failing part (run-on sentence). i wouldnt drive my car with just 1 lug nut.

your temp issue is from hot exhaust gases most likely
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i hear you. they told me that whenever i start my car that flames are likely shooting out of the manifold and cant light the oil soaked turbo on fire causing stuff under my hood to catch fire...

and i hear you on if the turbo falls with the downpipe on the ground it will rip the oil lines with it. is oil still being pumped into the turbo even though it isnt running and the turbo is overlowed/seeping oil? if that was true then a fire could easily/should have started by now right?

what is holding my downpipe and turbo in place? surely there is enough mounting stuff there that one connection to the manifold isnt enough for it all to fall right off my car right? the turbo isnt sittingin the air attached to the down pipe, it is wedged nicely against the engine so that is supporting much of its weight.

i try to make sure i dont hit big bumps, and i try to go the minimum speed i can go so that if something falls i can stop immediately without hopefully too much damage.

i dont know what else to do really... i have to drive my car everyday. and paying for a taxi for a 20 mile daily commute would be like not possible...

fackkkkkk

well i guess i should have ordered replacement parts they day i got back home instead of driving it for 2 more full weeks...

i just dont know what it order still! ive spend weeks trying to figure out what three parts i need exactly. i have the money to order it and the shop waiting to do the work.. i just gotta figure out what i need.

if anyone wants to help save me help me look at my pictures or direct me at what to look at under my hood and help me figure out what kind of down pipe, manifold, and oil feed line i need please!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres the crack
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98integ...7632005322896/

anyone know what those are for? i hope there not supposed to be connected to something other than air condition or power steering cause theres nothing connected to them!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by foxdie
and i hear you on if the turbo falls with the downpipe on the ground it will rip the oil lines with it. is oil still being pumped into the turbo even though it isnt running and the turbo is overlowed/seeping oil? if that was true then a fire could easily/should have started by now right?
short answer
yes, its like losing your hand and watching your blood ooze out. heart is still pumping, veins are still connected.

what is holding my downpipe and turbo in place? surely there is enough mounting stuff there that one connection to the manifold isnt enough for it all to fall right off my car right? the turbo isnt sittingin the air attached to the down pipe, it is wedged nicely against the engine so that is supporting much of its weight.
well it is xmas time, maybe there is elves there we cant see! honestly, there is nothing nice in those photos bruh. that manifold is toast, like burnt toast that needs to be in the trash!

i try to make sure i dont hit big bumps, and i try to go the minimum speed i can go so that if something falls i can stop immediately without hopefully too much damage.
you have another problem serious problem, because those hot exhaust gases are hitting your radiator and your radiator can and will melt from it.

i dont know what else to do really... i have to drive my car everyday. and paying for a taxi for a 20 mile daily commute would be like not possible...
i hear ya bruh, but it isnt safe to drive your car at all.

i just dont know what it order still! ive spend weeks trying to figure out what these parts i need exactly. i have the money to order it and the shop waiting to do the work.. i just gotta figure out what i need.
did you turbo this car yourself or did you buy it as is? it looks to me that you have the patent pending shmebay turbo kit, i can tell by the manifold. those manifold are, quite frankly, crappy as you can see. poor material and poor welds and there you have it. you need to look for a cast manifold and a new dp as well. you sir have some immediate work that needs to be done asap!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

heres the crack

anyone know what those are for? i hope there not supposed to be connected to something other than air condition or power steering cause theres nothing connected to them!
a/c lines

i think i found my answer. you bought the car like this, you know with the turbo on it
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
short answer
yes, its like losing your hand and watching your blood ooze out. heart is still pumping, veins are still connected.

well it is xmas time, maybe there is elves there we cant see! honestly, there is nothing nice in those photos bruh. that manifold is toast, like burnt toast that needs to be in the trash!

you have another problem serious problem, because those hot exhaust gases are hitting your radiator and your radiator can and will melt from it.

i hear ya bruh, but it isnt safe to drive your car at all.

did you turbo this car yourself or did you buy it as is? it looks to me that you have the patent pending shmebay turbo kit, i can tell by the manifold. those manifold are, quite frankly, crappy as you can see. poor material and poor welds and there you have it. you need to look for a cast manifold and a new dp as well. you sir have some immediate work that needs to be done asap!
about "yes, its like losing your hand and watching your blood ooze out. heart is still pumping, veins are still connected." i should have broken those two sentences up. I meant before the turbo/piping fall out of the car. im saying right now, is there oil being pumped to the turbo where it stopped flowing because theres nowhere for the oil to go anymore as its "full" cause the turbo isnt doing anything? or is oil actually continuously pumping to the turbo where its dripping oil as im driving? thats what i meant. i def get that when it rips off the veins like you were saying are still gonna pump blood.

yeah that manifold is completely fucked. i am working on buying a new manifold, oil feed line, and down pipe ASAP. i just need help in figuring out what to buy. but i wanna order it like two weeks ago so definitely asap.

i cant believe i knew about this problem for weeks now and have waited weeks to order parts and schedule an appointment. when i first found out i had been driving like that i ran home to order parts that day....

...but then i started reading about turbos, and there is so much stuff to learn, the more i read, the more i honestly couldnt get myself to order anything, cause i kept thinking about ordering safc, fuel pumps, injectors, etc etc.

but i really gotta focus on replacing that manifold STAT!

i also just realized that the only reason that my car is probably still working and not in a fiery mess a week ago, and my radiator melted is because i do mostly highway driving, so lots of air flow and heat dissipation, and more importantly it is like 35 degrees outside! that has gotta help things be cool. if it was summertime im sure my engine bay wouldve crackled and turned into a burnt crisp by now.

and i didn't take those pics to show off, if thats what you meant by theres nothing nice in those pics? or did you mean relevant=nice? there tons of random shots from different angles so someone can maybe help me figure out what i need or what is in there.

yeah first thing the performance shop i go to looked under my hood, they were like, just so you know, this is all like $400 ebay ****. save up and get a garret or turbonetics turbo kit. they said it will run me anywhere from $4k-$8 heh. soon, but right now i just want my car in non fire mode.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that isn't a crack, that's a disaster. get a header, install it, while you sort out the damage
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

i meant it doesnt look nice like it doesnt look good.

ash is right, if you can get a hold of header i would just remove the turbo components and just run it n/a until you can get it all sorted out. if you continue to drive the vehicle the way it is, i just fear about your personal safety.

i assume you have a t3 turbo so i would get a t3 cast manifold for your engine model. i agree to what the performance shop absolutely told you. the price they gave you may include there installation fee. im glad your asking this questions because im able to answer most of them, but i seriously wouldnt drive the car in that condition and this being the beginning of the work week you need to get back and forth to work. just hope on ebay and order a replacement or swing by the shop and see if they have a manifold in house.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's no crack sir.
It's a broken manifold.
Hmmmm. There's your problem.

Driving 200 miles a day like that...? Woa.
Back to basics .... I suggest a Prius Or ford focus.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, you got major ***** for driving a car like that. Are you kidding me? your going to ask if this is OK? Cmon' Man....... Pictures suck but looks like the only thing holding turbo in place is the exhaust system? is it dragging yet? Dude, park that car, get a cheap log manifold and fix the issue. Hell looks like you have a SSautochrome manifold so just buy another one for 60-70 bucks and your done. Or, be smart and realize that the manifold is WHY it broke and WHY you are in this situation. just my .02
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash J. Williams
that isn't a crack, that's a disaster. get a header, install it, while you sort out the damage
This was the advice we gave him a week ago.

The manifold (and probably the entire turbo setup, or even the entire car) is ****....replace it before you catch fire driving down the interstate. This is your 3rd thread about the same janky chinese manifold and we keep telling you the same thing...f**king replace it already. The End