Notices

Manifold(downpipe)/Turbo set up..input

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Titanium Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manifold(downpipe)/Turbo set up..input

Goal is around 650hp. Looking for a good set-up and had something in mind, but not sure if it will work. First, it's going into an EF chassis. I am looking at the PT6262 ball bearing .82ar 3" v band. Now I was looking at a manifold/downpipe that's for sale and was wondering if this set up would work.
The manifold is an early generation B series Full Race ramhorn with a T3 flange, but the downpipe is 5 a bolt flange. If I change the flange and use a v band clamp, I'm guessing this would work? Trying to piece a nice set up, but need some guidance as I'm not 100% sure. Thanks

Pics of the manifold/downpipe

Pics of the turbo

Old 10-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Manifold(downpipe)/Turbo set up..input

That turbo would work for your goal, however Im not a fan of precisions....

As for the manifold, that 4 bolt is old school most wastegates are v band.
Plus the down pipe would have to have a new flange welded to it.

You may be better off trying to find a downpipe that already has the v band.
Just my .02 good luck.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:04 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

While the 6262 will make 650 it's still a little on the large side. If it's going on anything smaller than a 2 liter motor it will be incredibly laggy. Then you also have to factor in the questionable lifespan of a precision turbo and their habit of not replacing/repairing a turbo under warranty, especially if you don't buy it from a licensed precision dealer... Regardless if it's new or used.

You could go with a slightly smaller turbo and still make 650 but have more area under the curve. You could also go with a more reliable unit (Garrett, BorgWarner, Comp, and so on)

As far as the manifold and downpipe, it will work. The biggest issue is the 4 bolt wastegate flange which only fits the 40mm TiAL wastegate. They haven't made the 40mm for quite a few years and you won't find one new, hell even finding a used one will be next to impossible.

Your options for a wastegate will be limited to waiting for a 40mm TiAL to pop up, building an adapter elbow to fit a newer gate, cutting the old flange off and welding a new one on, or cutting off the entire wastegate elbow and welding a new one on.

So you'll need to factor the time and cost of modifying the manifold for a different wastegate or taking a very long time to find a 40mm.

The old school full-race stuff is of superb quality, however, depending on the initial purchase price plus the cost of modifying the manifold you might be able to find a new manifold that will work much better with 0 modifications. Or even finding another used setup with a more common and available wastegate flange.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Titanium Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help
Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another factor to consider is how much the manifold and down pipe have work hardened. It depends on the skill of the welder and condition of the piece as to how long any modifications will hold up. An adapter flange would probably be the way to go here for the wastegate. The down pipe could go either way be it new or modified.