Notices

Making the switch! Which legit turbo is similar to this eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the switch! Which legit turbo is similar to this eBay?

I recently switched from my Garrett 57trim to an eBay turbo and absolutely love the spool and drivability from the smaller frame of the eBay turbo and now that I have a few extra bucks to spend, I wanted to pick up a reliable turbo that would have the same characteristics as my eBay turbo.

Here is the link to it to give you an idea of what I was using
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=71869795377

On my stock b20vtec, it hit full boost 8psi around 4000-4200rpms where as my Garrett would usually take up to 5000-5200rpms.

The Garrett DID make better peak power 301@8,000rpm and my eBay made 296@8,000, but at 5,000rpm, the eBay was already making 200whp and the Garrett was short at about 175.

So my question was:
Which reliable turbo do you guys recommend? Power goals are 320-350, but with good spool for daily driving and something that is decently priced.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making the switch! Which legit turbo is similar to this eBay?

I really don't want to spend a ton of money, so if there isn't any for a decent price, I may just pick up another one of these ebay turboS because at 120bucks, it's not too bad.

Btw, my current eBay turbo has been doing well so far. 7months and no smoke or unusual play yet. Just planning ahead!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can always down grade the garrett 57 trim ex. side to a smaller a/r for a faster spool.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a turbo I just bought have not really got a chance to use it .since my motor gave up twice on the dyno I'm looking to upgrade my turbo and mines a ball bearing 40 trim turbonetics Lmk if your interesting
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

You really are brave praising an eBay turbo on H-T. Be prepared for a bunch of people with no experience or, a bunch of retards who have to justify their overly inflated purchases by bashing your choice in product to chime in. I'm right there with you though, have the same turbo on my F22 and it's been wonderful for the past 8 months and 12k miles. Honestly, if you really don't want to spend a ton of money, then you'd best stick with them. By the time you buy a super cool mad tyte JDM name-brand bragging rights turbo, you'll have been able to buy 6 or 7 of the others.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garrett, precision, or turbonetics... or the shodan
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa! I'm not praising, just simply comparing. And I would like a reliable turbo that will last me without having to spend a ton. Just using my eBay as a comparison to what I would like because alot of people will say Garrett 57trim and that's simply not on my list.

An would LOVE a turbo from shodan, but maybe once my power goals reach the 4-500 range.

Another idea I was thinking about was maybe to purchase the same eBay turbo and send it out to get balanced? Idk..seems like that's what most people on here complain about when it comes to these turbos. I am running a -3AN FEED AND -10AN return, so I'm sure theres no oiling issues there. But it being out of balance does concern me (longevity and reliability wise)
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jv88_dc2
I recently switched from my Garrett 57trim to an eBay turbo and absolutely love the spool and drivability from the smaller frame of the eBay turbo and now that I have a few extra bucks to spend, I wanted to pick up a reliable turbo that would have the same characteristics as my eBay turbo.

Here is the link to it to give you an idea of what I was using
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=71869795377

On my stock b20vtec, it hit full boost 8psi around 4000-4200rpms where as my Garrett would usually take up to 5000-5200rpms.

The Garrett DID make better peak power 301@8,000rpm and my eBay made 296@8,000, but at 5,000rpm, the eBay was already making 200whp and the Garrett was short at about 175.

So my question was:
Which reliable turbo do you guys recommend? Power goals are 320-350, but with good spool for daily driving and something that is decently priced.

What are the specs on your Garrett? Did it have a .63 A/R? If so, that's probably why you're noticing faster spool. If you want similar spool from a high quality turbo, I would reccomend just grabbing a Garrett with the same specs as the ebay turbo.

For example:http://www.spoolinperformance.com/ga...trim-p-30.html

Just make sure to get the .48 A/R
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could also stuff that 54mm precision cea wheel in a B cover with a .48 housing with their standard t31 exhaust. that would be a snappy little turbo

or

buy the disco potato
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want cheap get a volvo td04-15t 6cm or a saab td04-15t 6cm used for around 280whp but killer torque fast spool.

or buy a td04 and upgrade to 7cm and 18t or 19t easy 350whp
Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you like your ebay turbo, you just dont like the fact it doesnt say garrett on it?

I could print you off a garrett sticker if it makes you feel any better... Most of those china turbos nowadays are made from 50% garrett oem parts anyway.

Having used quite a few ebay turbos myself... I think you would be downgrading spending that much on a new turbo. Put that money into the built motor fund IMO, or get some nice rims and tires.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Entry level precision 54xx
Old 02-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha i love this thread finally some ppl willing to admit they like their ebay turbos, i like mine too, i couldnt care less what it says on it as long as it functions and so far im happy i installed one 3 years ago and its still going stong making 350 on a h22. once i get more serious about power i will upgrade but not till i finish alot of other stuff on my car.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I like my eBay turbo and no it DOESN'T say Garrett on it and I can careless about what brand it is, it's the fact that I know this turbo won't last me as long as a GOOD quality built turbo. And it is NOT an opinion, it's a fact that you CANNOT compare an eBay turbo to a brand like Garrett, precision, BW. You can argue about it all you want, but I've seen ALOT more threads about smoking eBay turbos than any of the mentioned brands COMBINED.

Please don't make this thread about eBay turbos vs quality turbos. The point of this was to see what good quality turbos i can get with spool characteristics as my current eBay.

And I'm leaning toward either a disco potato or a Garrett with a .48ar exhaust.

Thanks to all who added their input!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u will love the disco potato if u like quick spool and instant torque with virtually no lag, im not entirely sure how much power it tops out at though maybe someone else can help out there. i know the actual potato made 280hp. theres alot of quick 240s out there with gt28rs and i hear tons of good stuff about them. im sure the characteristics of this turbo would be even more impressive than the chinese one.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those ebay turbos are mostly 50 trim t3 turbos.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had a garrett t3 super 60 on my b20 and i believe i had 10psi before 4000rpm and it held the boost fine too 9000rpm on a stock b20z.... never got it on a dyno thou
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
You really are brave praising an eBay turbo on H-T. Be prepared for a bunch of people with no experience or, a bunch of retards who have to justify their overly inflated purchases by bashing your choice in product to chime in. I'm right there with you though, have the same turbo on my F22 and it's been wonderful for the past 8 months and 12k miles. Honestly, if you really don't want to spend a ton of money, then you'd best stick with them. By the time you buy a super cool mad tyte JDM name-brand bragging rights turbo, you'll have been able to buy 6 or 7 of the others.
GTFO.

Ive seen plenty of those ****ing ebay turbos blow out on the first dyno session.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
GTFO.

Ive seen plenty of those ****ing ebay turbos blow out on the first dyno session.
I agree. Those turbos have a **** track record for a reason. If people want to be cheap asses and buy a Chinese rip-0ff turbo, go for it. WHEN it breaks, not if, don't cry to us
Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^you sound as though you have no personal experience with those Ebay turbos...truth is neither do i, but you comment is stupid none the less. everything breaks nothing lasts forever so i would rather cry over 200 than 1000 thats just me personally. also your comment about cheap chinese **** is stupid as well. open you damn eyes and look around everything is made in china..hell i went to lowes today and the damn lumber had a sticker on it saying made in china our country is going to **** and thats all there is to it...But another point to this is alot of parts name brand and not blow up because of user error and cheaper things that may be good COULD get a bad rap because generally speaking stupid people dont have enough cash to acquire a 1000 dollar turbo so they buy a 100 dollar one and use there pee brain to put it on...just like my payless shoes and my beater get me up the street just as good as the next mans jordans and rolls royce.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
GTFO.

Cool story bro. lol y u mad doe? This is exactly what I was saying. Since it broke, they could have just gone out and bought another one and still had money in their pocket for more important things, like classes on how not to be an overly-sensitive douchebag.

Originally Posted by Schister66
I agree. Those turbos have a **** track record for a reason. If people want to be cheap asses and buy a Chinese rip-0ff turbo, go for it. WHEN it breaks, not if, don't cry to us
Everything breaks. Nothing, and I mean nothing will last forever. I'm sure 90% of the people that actually buy eBay turbos are aware that there are price gaps(most of which are insanely huge and absurdly inflated for huge margins of profit, there's no way in hell there's $1000 worth of materials and labor in a "quality" snail, probably more like 30% of that) for a reason. Does that stop them from buying eBay turbos though? No. Because most people have other priorities in life and still want to have fun. We don't want to go out and spend $1000 on something that'll "last forever" when we don't need it to last forever. Plus, can you seriously justify the cost of spending more money on a turbo setup than the actual value of the car it's going on? Didn't think so...Hondas are usually babies first modded car, after that you generally see people move on to **** worth modifying with "quality" parts.

H-T, congratulations on being filled with tender little blossoms who are so damn sensitive they have to get defensive over everything merely to justify their actions/opinions to themselves. This forum might have some good info, but you have to dig through piles and piles of **** to get to it anymore because everybody wants to be an internet gangster. I'll spend my money how I damn well please, suck it.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I can do is laugh...............
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H-T, congratulations on being filled with tender little blossoms who are so damn sensitive they have to get defensive over everything merely to justify their actions/opinions to themselves. This forum might have some good info, but you have to dig through piles and piles of **** to get to it anymore because everybody wants to be an internet gangster. I'll spend my money how I damn well please, suck it.[/QUOTE]

youre the only internet gangster wannabe that has been on this thread...unless youre mad because i said stupid people generally dont have money or pee brains and automatically put yourself into one of those catergories...funny funny stuff on here youre telling me huh?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fact eBay turbos are junk is pretty well known. There is a newer breed that has popped up, the kinugawa turbos, they're made in Japan, and are supposedly Mitsubishi. Apparently guys in europe like them. It's worth looking into if you're dead set on getting an eBay turbo.

For the price of an eBay turbo, it's not that much more to get a used Garret/Precision/Turbonetics that smokes and get it rebuilt. Blown turbos are usually dirt cheap and a rebuild is a couple hundred or so depending if it just needs seals and bearings or a whole new CHRA.

There are some GT28 turbos that are pretty cheap if you get one with the T25 flange, or there was one from some vehicle with an odd flange. If you'd be up for making your own manifold or modifying one or making an adapter, a gt28 would be a fun turbo. If you are lucky, you may be able to find a gt28 for cheap with the t25 flange and then get a t3 turbine housing, but they're 250 new from ATP.

Finding a replacement based on specs is not as straight forward as you would think. There has been documented cases where a turbo advertised as being 57 trim may be 50 trim or the wheels are a totally different design than a Garret may have.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jv88_dc2
Please don't make this thread about eBay turbos vs quality turbos. The point of this was to see what good quality turbos i can get with spool characteristics as my current eBay.

Quick Reply: Making the switch! Which legit turbo is similar to this eBay?