Notices

Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!!

The everylasting project is coming to completion. My 92 civic was finally fired up the week of the idrc event in san antonio. Since this was one of very few events here in texas the decision was made to put it on the dyno with 50 miles on the new motor. After a few dyno pulls, the car rested at 439 hp @ 319 ft/lb @20 psi Due to some ignition problems we let the car rest and didnt want to push our luck since I wanted to make the event in san antonio. With no seat time in the car since the makeover began almost 8 months ago it was sure to be an eventful event! Sure enough it was too! The pro-am fwd class didn't make so we were notified that we were being shoved into the Quick class along with the pro am rwd. Wasn't so bad because most of the quick class was at the nopi event. The first day of qualifying I was fighting my driverside charge pipe since it kept blowing off and then i discovered that my #1 plug wire was not completely plugged into the distributor which was causing my car to misfire. After some of those minor issues were resolved I ended the event as a runner up and took home a few dollars and a trophy. My best time for the weekend was a 11.31 @ 126.6 mph... Not bad I thought for my street cars' first time at the track. A pic of my car is on the idrc web site (top right).

This weekend I decided to drive to the track since my tunner was out there with his 6 sec camaro. Randy my sponsor/builder was there and he just happened to drag jason (st00pid) out there with him. After a couple of mid/low 11 sec passes, lawrence made a couple of changes to the ecu.. It was the last run of the night and i gave the keys to jason to see what the changes would do. The tire pressure was dropped to 8.5 from 12. He lines up with a late model black nitrous powered vette on slicks. The lights drop and the vette gets an instant 2 cars as jason crashes thru the gears with an outstanding start. You can hear the 24.5" tires struggling to keep traction. 1-2-3 were flawless. By the beginning of 3rd they are neck and neck and the vette starts to run out of steam.. My car kept charging ahead and by mid 4th a hickup occured and the run was aborted but by that time the race was over and the spectators were ranting and raving Jason came around and handed in a nice looking time slip (props for the driving):
r/t: .84
60': 1.72
1/8: 7.02
mph 104.2
1/4: 10.88
mph 116.56

keepin mind my car was trapping 126-127 the whole night I am very please with the second showing of my car. I still have a few bugs to work out starting with ignition which will be upgraded to a digital 6+ and secondly a reengineering of my fuel delivery system which was not addressed from the first time I did it.

Many many thanks to Randy Hughlett for all his hard work and dedication to making this project a true success. Our goal by the end of the season will be to hit a 9.9 which I feel is well within reach! Many many pics to come soon or look up attituderacing.com for a preview of the buildup.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (GSRev)

Nice man, whats the setup?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:11 PM
New User

great work man!
Old 04-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (93LSivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93LSivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice man, whats the setup? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-20-2003, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (VaporTrail)

Kick *** times Alex! I need to come check out the car when i'm in houston again. I finished building my motor over spring break and dropped it in a week ago. Time to turn up the boost and hit the dyno again!
Old 04-20-2003, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (boostaholic)

bad-*** Alex

You gonna give those Sport FWD contenders a run for their money
Old 04-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (TurboDANDEE)

awesome times....any pics of the car?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (SEFI8LOxCivic)

Congrats to Alex and Randy.. You guys have built a VERY impressive car.. I was very impressed with the quality of the work done on the car.. I dont know of any shop in town that puts that kind of quality into a car (except mine of course )

I dont remember much about what was next to me, during the pass.. I was trying to get accustomed to the car, The clutch was really nice, but there was a pedal stop which was not the norm for me. As I understand the CM twin disk would start to engage again of you depressed the pedal fully. The seats were suprisingly comfortable for race seats. The stock GSR shifter was very familar, which shifted the freshly built tranny with beautiful presicion. The throttle response was incredible, VERY crisp.

When I pulled up to the burnout box, the butterflies in my stomach had flown away and I was ready for my battle with the track. I pulled through the water box and pulled the E-brake, revved the engine to about 3500 and dropped the clutch while adding some throttle, The tires broke loose and the RPMs jumped to about 8k without warning.. backed off a bit and held the revs at about 6k till the tires dragged the rear tires. Randy asked me to datalog the pass, so I reached over to see the Laptop had gone into "sleep"mode I frantically rubbed cursor pad and hit the shift key as I staged the car, the screen had just fired up but the program wasnt active yet. The yellows start falling. I hit the throttle and as I saw the revs hit about 7800 I let the clutch out and nailed the gas. 1st gear was just there to get the car rolling.. nothing more. Hit second gear and the revs shoot up to 8500 and hang there until car's speed catched up to the tire speed, then the engine slams to the rev limiter. Third slid in without a hitch, by this time the computer had finally "awakened", however I had no time to reach for the button to start the datalog. The RPMs in third climb like most 12 second cars do in first. 4th was just insane for the short time it pulled, then the car just lost power. I immediately dumped the throttle and tried to look to the rear of the car for signs of failure (smoke, engine block) but couldnt see anything.. by then the car had coasted through the traps and was idling fine.. so I was just hoping for a good 1/8mile time.. I was pretty shocked to see the 10.88.

cliff notes: CAR HAULS ***.

Much props to Alex, Randy and crew, and thanks for the opportunity to drive such a nice car.

jason
Old 04-21-2003, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (st00pid)

nice 60 foot times...

so what happened in 4th gear..any ideas?
Old 04-21-2003, 06:52 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (GOLDBERG)

what was the 60' of the first run gsrev?
on ehte 11.3
Old 04-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (BoM)

Sick Pass....
Old 04-21-2003, 08:13 AM

good job alex . congrats
wanna see your ride later
Old 04-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (onebadld)

A brief overview of the motor... um.. it's fully built and has a really REALLY big turbo and is all controled by a FAST ecu oh and almost forgot about a hybrid tranny. More details about it later

The 11.3x passes 60' were 1.86... lowering the tire pressure seems to have help quite a bit as the slicks were breaking loose in 1st gear @16+ psi. Randy is working slowly but surely on getting some pics on his web site.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRev)

good job, but is your turbo housing polished?...because in the end, thats all that counts
Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice times man!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Re: (rOby)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rOby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good job, but is your turbo housing polished?...because in the end, thats all that counts </TD></TR></TABLE>

WORD!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A brief overview of the motor... um.. it's fully built and has a really REALLY big turbo and is all controled by a FAST ecu </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

any ideas what happened in 4th tho?

great numbers, congrats so far, and good luck for the rest of the season
Old 04-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I call BS....there is no way a Honda can run 11's much less 10's Good run Jason. I think Alex should sell his turbo to me and get a supercharger

Mario
Old 04-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (D-X-Factor)

awesome my old turbo setup did very well.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:21 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (b18bturbo)

You are my hero alex!
To alex, Randy, and Jason.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (Arturbo)

DAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNN, Mario just informed me of this last night! Good job guy's. I wish I could of made it that night. Hope you guy's will come out this Sunday. So far it's just Mario and I, but we'll see?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!! (turbo Si)

good job, whats the setup?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:33 AM

hey alex when u going to baytown call me and i go watch . i miss racing alot and hope your cars goes 9s for i can see lol
Old 04-23-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (onebadld)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onebadld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey alex when u going to baytown call me and i go watch . i miss racing alot and hope your cars goes 9s for i can see lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohhhhh ****..........what's up Paul. I heard you switched teams on us?

Quick Reply: Makeover complete w/ very promising results!!!