Notices

major issues with ac on a turbo motor!! helpp

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major issues with ac on a turbo motor!! helpp

alright so i have a EM1 with a garett gt35r turbo set up.. i have my ac put in and everythings cool.but my ac compressor alwayz goes bad! today is the 4th one that is bad! i get it put in and it works good for a few days, this time the longest at over a week since i got the downpipe wrapped with a heatwrap.. im drivin to school and ac is perfect... i leave school and notice ac isnt cold and it worried me since this is the usual pattern of it going bad.. next thing i know, i smell smoke and the burning smell. i turn ac off and come home and pop the hood and turn ac on, and little to my surprise, its sparking from the ac compressor and shooting out that bad burning smell.. what is causing my ac compresor to go baddd soo oftennnn??
Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major issues with ac on a turbo motor!! helpp (lovey408)

If I had to guess I would say HEAT. You really answered your own question when you said that it's lasted the longest when you wrapped the downpipe....
Old 08-27-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Re: major issues with ac on a turbo motor!! helpp (SOHFAST94)

is it possible for it to go bad like that? im not really aware of what would the reasons wuld be.. but what could i do to help stop that problem?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 AM
* B A N N E D *

did you charge the a/c system yourself? oil in your freon? I'm almost sure all a/c systems in autos require a certain percentage of oil to be put in along with the freon so therefore if you've evacuated the entire system and didnt put oil back in with your freon then I would imagine that may very well have something to do with your compressors continuing to burn up.

Modified by EASY101 at 12:57 PM 8/27/2008
Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EASY101)

You have to have the system evacuated with a machine to pull all the crap that the first one left when it went.. if you dont the garbage will destroy any other comp. you put on. I had the same problem with my greddy... it was too close to the elbow, locked up on day in tucson 110 deg outside.. sux
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Default Re: (wilham320)

i have a shop who does it for me.. they use the ac machine so it takes everything out and puts it back in, and today is a little hotter then normal here in sac, so im sure heat has something to do with it..
Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (lovey408)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lovey408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a shop who does it for me.. they use the ac machine so it takes everything out and puts it back in, and today is a little hotter then normal here in sac, so im sure heat has something to do with it.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would be willing to bet that your problem has to do with something other than just the heat. Its very odd that you keep burning one compressor up after another... I would get a 2nd opinion from another shop that specializes with auto a/c
Old 08-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lovey408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> its sparking from the ac compressor and shooting out that bad burning smell</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wtf does this mean?

Either way, whoever is working on this is completely incompetent. Evacuating the system by just putting a vacuum on it will not be enough to remove the crap left behind. It needs to be flushed, and the accumulator/dryer filter looking thing should be replaced. I bet if you ask the person who was attempting to work on it if the equipment they're using flushes the system, they'll just give you a dull, blank stare.

Nice job too. gt35r in CA, that's what, a $1k fine, at least? You guys should lobby to get the bullshit laws changed to eliminate the visual pass/fail and just leave it to the actual emissions..

Modified by rorik at 10:35 PM 8/27/2008
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM

Default Re: major issues with ac on a turbo motor!! helpp (rorik)

the sparking means, wen i look down at the ac compressor with the ac on, you can see sparks coming from the compressor. and it smells horrible becuz the smell of it burning is strong.. and i changed the accumulator/dryer filter this last time i had the new ac compressor put in.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have odd AC output settings in your ECU? Just a shoot in the dark, never owned a Honda with AC.

You'd think after the 3rd one the person working on your car would be able to give you more input about what is happening.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:41 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

ck your wiring on your compressor
Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lovey408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the sparking means, wen i look down at the ac compressor with the ac on, you can see sparks coming from the compressor. and it smells horrible becuz the smell of it burning is strong.. and i changed the accumulator/dryer filter this last time i had the new ac compressor put in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking like electrical sparks from the clutch assy?
When I posted before I was thinking the compressor seized up and then the maybe the clutch got overheated from slipping/breaking or something and threw a few sparks, I don't know.
I don't know how a wiring issue could cause the clutch to be destroyed/damaged. It uses 12 volts from a relay, doesn't it? So how would you be able to send it power in a way that would damage it, just cycle it on and off way too frequently?
I really don't even know..but I know if it was my car, I could still fix it.. lol.
The 4th one, damn. That shop needs to try harder!
Could you post a few pics of your setup?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Re: major issues with ac on a turbo motor!! helpp (rorik)

ill post pictures up wen i get a chance. but a friend of mines told me, there could be a leak in the system and maybe the frion leaks out and the compressor still starts up because the switch may be broken and it damages the compressor because there isnt any oil left and it still spins.. is that a possibility? and just as a note, i got pulled over by a "specially trained for street racing cars" cop today who searched my engine and only complained about a msd box, the dumbass didnt even notice the big turbo or the intercooler piping or the blow off valve! lol but yet he re-assured me hes specially trained for street racing vehicles. and this was in elk grove, ca. and for those from around here, u knw how crazy these cops are. guess i got lucky with a dumbass lol
Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hte only way for the compressor to come on without freon is if they bypassed the pressure switch hook up some gauges and see how if there is freon in it if not the shop is fing you you would have to have extreme heat for the compressor to burn up so if its from the turbo you would probably be overheating before the compressor burns up make sure they are putting oil in they are flushing the ac system and putting oil back in it and the right oil