Notices

Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22?

The block hat an damaged sleeve, and the machine shop hat sleeved the block with iron sleeves. Can I use the mahle gold series pistons in this block?

Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (eg4matze)

bump
Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably not. The gold series are designed with a coating to make it work with the stock FRM sleeves. I don't think anyone's ever tried using them in an iron sleeved cylinder before? We have enough trouble finding people using the gold series in a stock sleeves for over 20k miles!

Mahle also makes "regular" H22 forged pistons if you're willing to sell your set and pick up a new set.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (Finest)

the problem is they are allready orderd...

Old 03-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

other opinions?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (Mr Wonderfull)

call mahle and ask them
Old 04-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (soulpwr)

pistons are here, but pison rings and round wire clips are missing
Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (Finest)

Answer me this, how come Honda has the coating that is compatible with FRM sleeves, but nobody else can seem to duplicate the coating? I mean, why can't we call up Saffil and ask them for information on what Honda used for piston coatings when they made Honda's cylinder sleeves for the B21A1 Prelude motor? I mean, SOMEBODY has to know...

Or, does it have to do with Forged pistons expanding and contracting to a greater degree than cast pistons? But this I do not understand, if it is the case.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (Dulluthkid_19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dulluthkid_19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Answer me this, how come Honda has the coating that is compatible with FRM sleeves, but nobody else can seem to duplicate the coating? I mean, why can't we call up Saffil and ask them for information on what Honda used for piston coatings when they made Honda's cylinder sleeves for the B21A1 Prelude motor? I mean, SOMEBODY has to know...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda doesn't used forged pistons.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honda doesn't used forged pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They don't!???!?!?!?!!??!!111

Honda
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (Joseph Davis)

NO FORGERD PISTONS???????

Im selling my cars, with thos goddamned cast shitboxes.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (PrecisionH23a)

I know they do not use forged pistons, I thought I stated that in my original post?

I was trying to say, "Maybe aftermarket companies cannot utilize the same coating that Honda does on their factory cast pistons because the aftermarket's forged pistons expan and contract too much and thus, for some reason beyond my immediate understanding, render the use of the specific coating unusable on forged applications."

Modified by Dulluthkid_19 at 9:00 AM 4/16/2007
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stock hh2 pistons arent coated. they are cast and do not scratch up the cylinder walls.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kasso)

I was just kidding.

I would imagine that the pistons designed for the stock sleeves will hold up to aftermarket Iron sleeves.

They are in fact forged units and the only thing that seperates them from regualrs is the coating, but people sometimes even do that(I know its not the same materail)

just make sure ur psiton to wall clearence is upto snuff and contact Mahle and see what they say.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (Joseph Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They don't!???!?!?!?!!??!!111

Honda </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep... those ********.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

Frankly, I'd probably just run them. The coating is super fragile and wears away easily... had a compressor nut come off in a car, sent shreds of compressor wheel into the engine and now the coating is pretty much nonexistant. Any non-FRM setup in good condition would live through that amount of abuse, now we're watching the engine develop smoking issues as pistons gall cylinder walls.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (soulpwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soulpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">call mahle and ask them</TD></TR></TABLE>

ding ding ding
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (JSpin)

I was under the presumption that for FRM applications Honda coated their cast pistons...Guess not.

You guys talk about how the pistons gall up the MMC (FRM) cylinder walls, but Saffil and every other outfit says that the FRM is actually much stronger, harder, and more wear resistant than traditional iron liners. These informations do not mesh! Can somebody explain to me or give some insight as to why people believe/know/think/hear that FRM sleeves are more fragile and more susceptible to galling and overall wear, when the actual makers of the FRM in Hondas (Saffil) explains that the opposite is true?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Wonderfull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search. now.

KTHXBYE</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol search WHAT? Nobody really talked about how strong it is or how superior its heat dissipation qualities are...all they talked about is "boo hoo I cant run forged pistons in my FRM motor!"...Come on, I am talking about some real life honest to God questioning of FRM and it's true pros and cons -- not just regurgitated information (or misinformation as it may seem!).

BTW, awesome post there.....
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shut the expletive up already. Your posts are useless, they should reset you to zero because you're such a damn n00b. Does it make you feel knowledgeable to tell people to search? You're being pathetic, just shut your mouth and go do something else if you don't like my questions (that you obviously do not have the ability to answer).

Coming from a guy who can't even spell his own name correctly, no less!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You got me, man.

Listen, I'm not going to argue, ok? I just searched some more, as you suggested, and the only thing that I found enlightening is that Earl's last post was on 11/30/2006 in the evening, asking about the different silicon contents in forged pistons and how Mahle, SRP, and SuperTech differ from most.

After reading that ****, I don't even care much about the FRM question I had. I will find it by my own research anyways, since the only person here to reply to me is you and of course you've told me nothing new except for a basic suggestion. From all the posts about FRM on this site that i've seen so far, the details about FRM are presented in an elementary and generic manner and I believe that not many people on this site truely know about the specifics of the FRM material that Honda applied to their engine blocks.

So I give up on here, I will just go lone ranger I guess, then do a proper essay on PreludePower.com when I am done gathering and interpreting the information I gathered.

Thank you.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Wonderfull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you SEARCH my name, you MIGHT find my build</TD></TR></TABLE>

His speedo needle moves like a stock LS tach needle... when you're in second gear.

You really should get some video of you destroying slow ****** liter bikes to make the haters into your bandwagon riders, Spike-y.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mahle gold series pistons in sleeved H22? (Dulluthkid_19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dulluthkid_19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After reading that ****, I don't even care much about the FRM question I had. I will find it by my own research anyways, since the only person here to reply to me is you and of course you've told me nothing new except for a basic suggestion. From all the posts about FRM on this site that i've seen so far, the details about FRM are presented in an elementary and generic manner and I believe that not many people on this site truely know about the specifics of the FRM material that Honda applied to their engine blocks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh, you could have empirically deduced everything you need to know from the first hand experience that I laid out in my post. Or asked me for clarification.

Forgings gall in FRM bores, this is because FRM and the flavors of aluminum used in forgings have a high coefficient of friction unlike most aluminum and ductile iron or other popular flavors of ferrous metal used in sleeves. The expansion rate of forged pistons being greater, and piston slap when cold, exacerbating friction related wear.

It's basically crap technology meant to be thrown away.