Notices

Made 300+ whp on TUrbo D16..... OIL PUMP question on y8 bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made 300+ whp on TUrbo D16..... OIL PUMP question on y8 bottom end

Oil pump went driving home the other night. Seeing what you people recommend for an oil pump. Something that can take daily abuse and be driven on daily. LMK asap. please and thankyou.

OEM
AFTERMARKET?

Thanks again
roland
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How many miles wre on the pump?? What were u reving to??
Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shim and port the oem oil pump or get a toga hv oil pump.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM

Default Re: (mrbigg9032)

im not sure how many miles were on it. it was used and possibly beat up. revving to 7500.

toga good? oem? any others.....what do u think would be BEST reccomended that i can use for 1-2 yrs w/ no issues. AGAIN..making 300whp, revving to 7500. thanks

roland
Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the d16y-series I would just get aftermarket toga hv oil pump.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (da_dude)

Actually, the best pump for a D16Y8 is a Z6/A6 pump - along with the whole Z6/A6 block/crank. Having seen Y8 and Z6 cranks side-by-side, I was not impressed with the way drilled the crank's oiling holes (poor routing to save machining time). Even worse is the Y7 crank - I got scammed buying a Y7 block that spun TWO MAINS and three rods after a week of running.

If you keep the Y8, your best option is to get the toga pump, using devcon to smooth the pump housing, and possibly even shorten/remove the pump's bypass shim to keep oil pressure a little higher after ~3k.

BTW I'm not joking about the Z6/A6 bit...
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

OEM pump FTW
Don't use a Toga pump people have problems with them
Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (redex04)

^^^^ ughh i hate mixed reviewwws!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (r0iand)

use a modifed OEM pump from Endyn
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shim and port the y8 pump, or buy a endyne modified oil pump.

ive been hearing some good things about top line oil pumps, check em out.

was the engine regularly maintained? i would assume that regular maintenance could help prolong the life of the y8 oil pump...but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Re: (MeanGreenMachine)

I will never ever run another y8 oil pump. I've had and seen so many spun bearings it's sick. The last Y8 we did we put the z6 pump, pickup and pan onto. The Y8's oil dipstick is in the oil pump, and the Z6 has the external one. I would rather have no dipstick than a Y8 oil pump.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I would rather have no dipstick than a Y8 oil pump. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so how do you check your oil level?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Change it every 3k miles, and make notes of how much is missing of what you put in, oil pressure gauges, etc...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 AM

checking on the TOGA and TOPLINE and ENDYN oil pumps now.... links for good prices
Old 03-06-2008, 01:22 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r0iand &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">checking on the TOGA and TOPLINE and ENDYN oil pumps now.... links for good prices </TD></TR></TABLE>

You will find completely mixed reviews on everything relating to y8 oil pumps. You can search for months without finding anything conclusive. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I've been revving my fully built y8 to 7500 RPMs for 22,000 miles now. Unmodified factory oil pump. No spun bearings.

Perhaps my balanced crankshaft and large main/rod bearing clearances are to thank for my success. Or perhaps the failures of others are due to their inability to properly build a motor. Who's to say. You have to make the call for yourself; conclusive evidence on this matter does not exist.

Of course Endyn will puff up their product. Larry thinks he knows everything. And of course h-t will blindly buy into it - He makes a good sales pitch and none of the teeny-boppin' Honda owners know any better.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 AM

Default Re: (Legion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or perhaps the failures of others are due to their inability to properly build a motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or perhaps all these bearing failures were inside of unopened blocks built by HONDA , because nobody in their right mind would build one outside of honda without a z6 oil pump.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Or perhaps all these bearing failures were inside of unopened blocks built by HONDA </TD></TR></TABLE>

So then wouldn't the problem lie with boosting a stock motor...? Who's to say where the problem lies. I seem to be doing alright. Maybe all it takes to keep from spinning a bearing is to open up the rod bearing clearances?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because nobody in their right mind would build one outside of honda without a z6 oil pump. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So now my sanity is in question because I'm using a y8 pump? And have been (successfully) for 22k miles? I'm willing to bet that 95% of the boosted y8 motors in existence are using factory, unmodified y8 pumps.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Talked to my engine builder on the phone and he recommended the PRODRIVE pump. Says they are the best in hte biz, but pricey. i want something reliable i candrive around on for 2 years daily w/ no issues. LMK if any of you have any experience with them. Thanks

roland
Old 03-06-2008, 02:31 PM
i ♥ snails

z6 hands down, better oil galleys with the crank, the pump out flows the y8 at a lower rpm, far less reported problems with spun bearings with the z6's
Old 03-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im another one with a stock y8 oil pump, 4 years old of 8400rpm redlines and 400whp.

holla
Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">z6 hands down, better oil galleys with the crank...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you're suggesting that he tear down his perfectly functioning, problem-free motor and rebuild it with a z6 crank? Or perhaps you simply didn't read the thread, and you're merely spitting out the typical h-t automated response concerning supposed y8 oiling issues...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r0iand &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Talked to my engine builder on the phone and he recommended the PRODRIVE pump. Says they are the best in hte biz, but pricey. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't Prodrive only make drop-in replacement gears for factory pumps? That won't do you any good. Aftermarket gears are for people worried about shattering their factory gears at high RPM. Even then, you'd be better off with a Fluidampr than aftermarket gears. Treat the problem, not the symptoms.

Also, who is your engine builder? Anyone reputable in the import world, or just some Joe Blow who opened a shop down the street and said "Imma build me some motorz"?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock D16Y8 pump here too...I've seen a drop in oil pressure in the last year. ~10psi at higher RPM...I'll need to replace it this spring if I keep the car.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ELSpool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im another one with a stock y8 oil pump, 4 years old of 8400rpm redlines and 400whp.

holla</TD></TR></TABLE>

and how do you maintain that? as in how are you decreasing your chances of spun rod bearing? just regular maintenance?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MeanGreenMachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and how do you maintain that? as in how are you decreasing your chances of spun rod bearing? just regular maintenance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely have an oil press. gauge. And use a full flow oil filter. Don't mis-shift and don't detonate. Not much else you can do.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 PM
i ♥ snails

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you're suggesting that he tear down his perfectly functioning, problem-free motor and rebuild it with a z6 crank? Or perhaps you simply didn't read the thread, and you're merely spitting out the typical h-t automated response concerning supposed y8 oiling issues...

Doesn't Prodrive only make drop-in replacement gears for factory pumps? That won't do you any good. Aftermarket gears are for people worried about shattering their factory gears at high RPM. Even then, you'd be better off with a Fluidampr than aftermarket gears. Treat the problem, not the symptoms.

Also, who is your engine builder? Anyone reputable in the import world, or just some Joe Blow who opened a shop down the street and said "Imma build me some motorz"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i didnt realy read it or maybe i was out of it. Id say a shimmed and ported y8 pump along with a good harmonic balancer to help reduce bottom end plaguing harmonics.

Quick Reply: Made 300+ whp on TUrbo D16..... OIL PUMP question on y8 bottom end