Notices

Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why???

Sup all,

I finally boosted my car yesterday(gsr civic. 18g, hondata s200b) and I get a vast amount of oil coming out of my catch can. I have the catch can hooked up as per the diagram provided by endyn. So my question is what could be causing this ****?? I have done a compression test on my plant and it read 190 across the board! could the cause be assess blow-by( to the point where the crankcase gasses are so strong that its pushing up oil aswell?? someone please advise!! any info would be great!

BTW.......boost is fawking increadible!!
Old 05-22-2004, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (Chillinit)

do you have the compression gauge at your house??
im gonna come down there after work... if its not raining

do you have spare 5/16th heater core hose??
we will get it all sorted out...

pull off your charge pipe and check your throttle body for oil......
Old 05-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (R THIS)

Is this a new build?
Old 05-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (Jared)

I'm getting the compression gauge in a few hours. I have a bunch of hoses and ****.....the motor is currently stock.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (Chillinit)

Do you have the inlet connections on the catchcan at a higher level then the connections on the back of your block???
Old 05-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (dasher)

yes...they are higher. The catch can sits at the same level as my battery.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:11 AM

do you drain the catchcan with an independednt line to the oilpan or do you re-connect it to one of your lines ?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (dasher)

Sounds like the oil isn't draining back down. If not then it will fill up quick with oil.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:38 AM

Alot of people are having this same exact problem you are experiencing ...
I have never had this problem and I run the honda fittings --- not Larrys modified ones ..

The only difference between my setup and other is that I route the drain line independently back of the oilpan.. not the crankcase.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you suppose you still have the problem but you don't know it because all the evidence drains back to your pan? Does the oil drain back while the motor is working or only after you shut it off?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (earl)

the cause of this for me was a cracked ring land(stock internals). All the cylinder pressure was going into the crankcase and causing oil to shoot out of the catch can!

However, my friends fully built LS just started doing it on the weekend and his compression is fine. His catch can is also mounting properly, drain nipple level above plugs in the back of block.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why??? (earl)

is this directed at me.... I have never had a problem with my setup works great ... I have a pretty good Idea its not overflowing while I'm driving, because the filter at the top shows 0 signs of any oil soak as it does with other peoples setups ....

You can see it ventilating correctly Open atmoshpeher while ideling and with load on the engine.,.. yes Its been on a dyno so I have seen both
Old 07-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine is doing the similar thing now . i never had the problem until last weekend . i think my boost was rising so there was more load on the motor. i picked up 5mph on the pass where it did it so im assuming the HP wa smore and creating more crank case pressure. it only did it on like 2 passes last weekend . i havent driven it since. but i have never had the probs before with this set up. just kidna weird how it popped up. i have the can a tad higher than the block , right where the stock evap can is.
im looking for explanations on this also. it seems normal though from the peoples posts ive been seeing lately. i could always see smoke coming out of it on full load on the dyno though. but i guess thats what its supposed to do
Old 07-13-2004, 12:56 PM

my car did it 2 times at the track last weekend, it would blow maybe 1/16 of a litre out the top of the filter on the endyn can... the car runs perfectly though... im a little confused

it scared me at first... i thought i ruined my cp pistons... lol
Old 07-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R THIS)

i thought the same .
Old 07-13-2004, 01:28 PM

never had a problem with mine altho i do see a little vapor comin out here and there only when the motor/oil gets really hot or under heavy load on the dyno (im pretty sure thats normal tho)
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I read about this probelm on Endyn's site before I did my setup. Obviously the drain has to be higher than the fittings on the block. We all know this, but something else was mentioned. You shouldn't "T" into the driver side fitting for your return line. Make sure you use the passenger side and make it as close to the block as possible.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16A Grenade)

i did mine directly as per the instructions
Old 07-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16A Grenade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I read about this probelm on Endyn's site before I did my setup. Obviously the drain has to be higher than the fittings on the block. We all know this, but something else was mentioned. You shouldn't "T" into the driver side fitting for your return line. Make sure you use the passenger side and make it as close to the block as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did you read this? I haven't found anything on it browsing his site. I must be blind.

Earl and I have been talking today over IM today. I have found my culprit of my constant oil usage. It is collecting in the catch can. Why is this? New engine running NA for break-in that has 450 miles on it. Compression was awesome although I need to do another test. If the rings are shot, won't the compression test show this? Is it just not seated yet?

For example, I drained the line last night and drove the car to work today (about 6 miles) and the line was pretty much full (about 2.5 foot piece.)

I assume I need a drainback system to the oil pan? (I am not running one now and probably do a drainback to the pan). Dasher, do you have pics on where you put it on the back of the pan. Not much room with drivshaft there.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:12 PM

Default Re: (ladysman)

i'll pm you some pics later on ... it doesn't mess with the driveshaft but comes with 1 inch of my downpipe
Old 07-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where did you read this? I haven't found anything on it browsing his site. I must be blind. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's nothing to be ashamed of. Thousands of teenagers and men are blinded after looking at unusual things on the internet. When your sight comes back, sign in and click here:

http://theoldone.com/forum/top...catch

TOO:

"Aside from the fact that there's a lot more oil present on the driver's side combined with a more "open" access to the "tower" from the sump means that oil will haven an easier time finding it's way to the vent on this side of the block. The passenger-side "tower" isn't as accessible (for oil), therefore making it a more ideal drain-back candidate."

Old 07-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

something to consider:

The fact that all this built motors are pushing oil out of the breather may imply that the catch itself is too small. Just a thought.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dasher)

Thanks Dasher. Send them on whenever you can.

ITR, are you using the drainback feature at all? I didn't think you and Jeff were using it.

Also, on Endyn's instructions, he say to let it drain to the driver side. However, as Grenade said, it is suggested to go to the passenger side instead.

If you look at Larry's 2.0L NA buildup, his is plumbed to the pass side. On the D Series blocks, the fitting is lower on the Pass side as well so this will also help matters.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea im using the drain back . i gotta check my lines though. i went off the instructins and not off that pic. so i dunno off hand if they were the same , its been a whilr
Old 07-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr206)

It is also important that the catch can is MUCH higher in the air. Where is yours?

Quick Reply: Mad amount of oil coming out of my Endyn Catch can...why???