Notices

Lsvtec turbo running rich

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsvtec turbo running rich

I bought my car with a ls b18a1 bone stock engine with a turbo, and I blew the engine out redlining so I deciding upon building it I should just upgrade to a vtec b16 which I did.
Upgrades are
Em1 b16 head
Weisco pistons 10:1:0
330cc RC injectors
Brian crower rods
Arp studs
Vtec kit
Cometic MLS gasket
Edlebrock intake manifold
Edlebrock 64mm throttle body
Itr camshaft
Skunk2 cam gears
P30ecu
Turbo is pushing 8lbs
Ngk iridium spark plugs

So upon my build I was able to get it started and when it was turned on it ran pretty rich, I took of one of my spark plugs after running it 20-30 mins and it was black. It would also turn on without my map sensor being connected prior to my computer being chipped. A lot of black smoke came out of my car without the map sensor being connected another thing I notice was when I connect the map sensor it idles rough and sometimes turns off unless hitting the gas, but the smoke goes away I don't know if it is bad or not? Double check that the TPS And MAP were not connected wrong. I'm having trouble diagnosing the problem
Might I just need a tune or bigger injectors? Any input would help a lot.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lsvtec turbo running rich

You posted this in the wrong section. This if for build threads not tech advice.

You need to get your car tuned properly. If you have a stock ecu and injectors install them then start it and deal with any cel you get. You can also drive it to a tuner like that as long as you stay completely out of boost. You are gonna need bigger then 330cc injectors if you want much more the 220whp witch I assume you do based on your engine having forged internals.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I am planning on seeing above those numbers. Thanks for the advice, I'm new to this website so Inwas a bit lost but know I'm getting guided correctly and knowing more about this site. Sorry once again and thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bigger injectors + no retune = runs rich

It's that simple. Get it tuned before you grenade it again...
Old 08-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
Bigger injectors + no retune = runs rich

It's that simple. Get it tuned before you grenade it again...
Exactly what I was thinking, if your running a stock ECU with aftermarket (bigger) injectors just plugged in you will surely have AFR issues. Get it tuned, and don't kill another engine. Seems like there were more issues with your old engine too, as "redlining" shouldn't kill a proper running engine.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
Get it tuned, and don't kill another engine. Seems like there were more issues with your old engine too, as "redlining" shouldn't kill a proper running engine.

Redline shouldnt have anything to do with it - probably wasn't tuned and ran lean
Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It had a po7 ECU with a sst chip replaced it with a p30 virgin ECU
Old 09-02-2015, 07:37 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>Good for you. &nbsp;Go get it tuned before you blow it up. &nbsp;Stock ECUs don't do boost. &nbsp;Stock ECUs don't do oversized injectors.</p>
Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So just get it tuned and it should run right?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM

<p>
Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
...You need to get your car tuned properly...
</p><p>
Originally Posted by wantboost
Bigger injectors + no retune = runs rich It's that simple. Get it tuned before you grenade it again...
</p><p>
Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
...Get it tuned, and don't kill another engine...
</p><p>
Originally Posted by Schister66
...probably wasn't tuned and ran lean...
</p><p>
Originally Posted by NotARaCist
...Go get it tuned before you blow it up...
</p><p>Do you need it to be said a sixth time?</p>
Old 09-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!
Yeah it's clear to me now
Old 09-03-2015, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Always amazes me people can get as far as building a motor but not get it tuned.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Always amazes me people can get as far as building a motor but not get it tuned.
I've been working at an import performance shop for the better part of a decade and I can honestly say atleast 50% of people with NA to turbo conversions are untuned/on a base map. Bad tuning (or no tuning) is the #1 cause for all engine failures that I've seen in my career. I don't know why people tend to skip out in that department, but we still get a couple people a month who bring in a vehicle that has seen extensive modification and been driven for quite a while with no tuning adjustments made. Such a waste. A related story that's also LS-T related, the last LS hatch we had in the shop was in for a clutch install. It was a 98 hatch with a boosted B18B1 swap. The customer inquired about dyno time while he was there as he was curious how much power he was making, but said he wasn't interested in tuning because his car is "plenty rich and doesn't need a tune".
It was running on a generic basemap, and i tried to explain the benefits of a custom tune, but he kept going back to what his wideband says and that he blows black smoke when he shifts, so he knows the tune is fine. Would not accept that rich doesn't = good or efficient lol. Some people are just funny.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:55 AM

<p>You should keep a ring washed block around the shop, just so you can slap people who think rich is &quot;OK&quot; with it. &nbsp;Black smoke when he shifts? </p>
Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p>You should keep a ring washed block around the shop, just so you can slap people who think rich is &quot;OK&quot; with it. &nbsp;Black smoke when he shifts? </p>
Rich is good though, just not THAT rich, I think 12:1 under WOT is good if you want to run more on the richer side, 13 if not. I'm running about 12.4 WOT right now and I shoot black smoke.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by daboy155
Rich is good though, just not THAT rich, I think 12:1 under WOT is good if you want to run more on the richer side, 13 if not. I'm running about 12.4 WOT right now and I shoot black smoke.
Rich is SAFE, but good is a matter of opinion. Lean makes more power, but as we all know, too lean and you melt things. There's definitely a balance
Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rich is SAFE, but good is a matter of opinion. Lean makes more power, but as we all know, too lean and you melt things. There's definitely a balance
Indeed. Plus a basemap is not going to have timing and fueling parameters optimized for YoUR setup, it's just generic. And mid-low 12s @ WOT isn't bad for a street car AFR, that's about what I shoot for. My turbo B runs around 12.3 up top as well. The turbo LS hatch I was speaking of that came in for the clutch was around 10.3 @ WOT.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Leaner doesnt always make more power. The objective is to be rich enough to keep the combustion chamber cool enough to avoid detonation and prevent preignition. There is no set number for any setup. Its whatever the plugs tell you and achieving the smoothest delivery of power.

But from personal experience, I never usually tune above 12.0 for extra safety net. 11.5-11.8 has always produced the best results.