Notices

LS-VTEC Turbo or LS Turbo ? WWHTD ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 LS-VTEC Turbo or LS Turbo ? WWHTD ?

Here is my dilemma, I want to get back into the Honda game. Been out of it for a few years now and want to get back into it.

If I do LS-Vtec Turbo, the block will be bone stock, with a thicker head gasket (to drop compression), with a Vtec head on it. Maybe some 01Type R cams and a free-er flowing intake manifold but pretty much it will be bone stock LS-Vtec.

Then, the LS will just be a bone stock LS slapped on with a turbo kit.

The turbo kit will have decent parts. Some mini ram horn AC from one of our vendors, Silver Surfer Turbo, APEXI Intercooler, Usual Tial stuff etc..

Of course it will get the best tuner in my area to tune it..

My question is now....

How reliable would the ls-vtec be interms of boosting it, especially with the thicker head gasket getting the most whp I can get.

OR..

Should i stick with just boosting the LS and be happy with that?

Would the HP gain with the LS-Vtec be worth it, but sacrifice reliability ?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS-VTEC Turbo or LS Turbo ? WWHTD ?

My personal opinion is and ls-vtec would work fine but the issue is most people try to rev their LS Vtec's like they are a gsr or type r motor. Thus causing the bottom end to go boom... Personally I would put some aftermarket pistons and rods in the block then call it good. I mean for 5-700 dollars you could grab some eagle rods and cp pistons.. Or find some used ones for 300 bux.

If that sounds to scary to you just stick with an LS turbo..
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flycivicsi
My personal opinion is and ls-vtec would work fine but the issue is most people try to rev their LS Vtec's like they are a gsr or type r motor. Thus causing the bottom end to go boom... Personally I would put some aftermarket pistons and rods in the block then call it good. I mean for 5-700 dollars you could grab some eagle rods and cp pistons.. Or find some used ones for 300 bux.

If that sounds to scary to you just stick with an LS turbo..
I know you cant rev that high with the LS block. So hence keeping the redline to more more MAX 8200 but probably keep it to 8100 to be safe. Because its not really about 5-700 dollars for the eagles rods and pistons. its also about machine work, installation, down time etc which keeps on adding up (which is something I do not want to do) Also building the bottom end, now you HAVE to make over 450whp. My actual goal was to do 400whp but will be happy with 350-380whp.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

LS-VTEC (STOCK headgasket), hands down.

-no need to drop compression, and reliability doesn't suffer. You've definitely been out of the game, as those are no longer an issue.

Plus you have LOTS of camshaft choices for later if need be
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
LS-VTEC (STOCK headgasket), hands down.

-no need to drop compression, and reliability doesn't suffer. You've definitely been out of the game, as those are no longer an issue.

Plus you have LOTS of camshaft choices for later if need be
Ive used 84thousands thicker head gasket on my B16 turbo setup before. It was more a head spacer than a head gasket. There was a very very small leakage of coolant but nothing bad. of course i was pushing over 14psi daily on it.

I guess there you go. LS-V get that running top notch first, then slap on a turbo kit. Gotcha. thanks again Shodan. just getting back into the game. its all foreign and familiar at the same time!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

too thick of a gasket. stick with OEM, no leaks ever. check out the "How to build a reliable LS/VTEC" thread on the All motor forum and you'll see what I mean. Then get into the turbokit. But its much more easily done.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with Shodan the guru
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah boosting LS Vtec is no longer an issue with the better tuning programs out there the days of the VAFC/SAFC and FMU are long gone. LS Vtec motors are very reliable when done right, I DD mine and it sees 8000 RPMS regularly now for 2 years and no issues. I do have ARP rod bolts and Hondata tuned. I plan to boos it in the near future once I can put a turbo kit together.