Notices

LS-turbo VS LS-vtec turbo what to do?? and whats better??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-turbo VS LS-vtec turbo what to do?? and whats better??

ok i just picked up a B18a1 complet motor swap and i am wanting to build a nice turbo set up for my CRX

The thing that is getting me is should i do LS/Vtec turbo or just LS turbo??

Either way i am going to build the bottem end nice and strong. I was told i can push 300whp+ on stock sleeves easy. and could push 500whp+ with sleeves.

i mean i want ls vtec as much as everyone else...but doin more and more research....its like..first i gotta get the head..then i gotta get the "ls vtec" conversion kit.. then u gotta get a conversion harness for your ecu....then wiring for vtec...i still to do this day cant figure out if u can use the wiring off the LS motor to run a VTEC head or do you need a Vtec wiring harness...so im saying..if im going turbo ANYWAYS...is ls vtec turbo REALLY necessary?? i see more ppl talking about the LS head Vs a B16 or GSR head and how you get better flow with a vtec head... ahhh but thats just more money....

i want everyone's opinion.

what is better and more cost effective built LS turbo or Built LSV turbo???
i would say my goal would be 300-350whp and this would be more of a daily driver just to keep in mind

Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS-turbo VS LS-vtec turbo what to do?? and whats better??

If your only wanting around 300 it may not be worth it to do LS/VTEC. There have been pleanty of people who have seen 400whp with an LS head, and built bottom end (there have probably been people that have done it on a stock bottom end, but I wouldn't think it would last to long).

You can use your LS wiring harness, but you'll have to run a couple (2) extra wires from the Vtec solinoid to the ECU IIRC.

More cost effective is built ls-t. More effective is LS-V-T. Speed costs money, how fast do you really want to go?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rooftop voter
Speed costs money, how fast do you really want to go?
lol that it does..

i mean i have a full motor.. i did get an extra short block so i have another block just in case i want to sleeve it and go bigger..

i keep seeing good numbers with both..

so what do you think about block gaurds are the with the time and money to have it put in right with it being tack welded in and then the motor decked or would be be better to spend the money up front and sleeve it??
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your better off sleeving it for sure, but if your not gonna sleeve it, I would run a block guard. I did run a block guard. Lots of people say they don't work or you'll do more damage than harm, but if they're done the right way, I think they will do what they're supposed to. There are pleanty of people making good power with them and without them with no problems so... I had my motor built at slowmotion motorsports here in Ohio, and the owner reccomended running a block guard, and one of my friends who used to build motors for them reccomended it to. I trust them more than pretty much anyone on the 'net. I just see it as a little extra insurance. I guess everyone will have there own opinion on it. One thing I wish I did when having the block built is install a block girdle. I think putting one on an LS/Vtec motor would be more benificial than using a block guard, so if your not gonna sleeve it, and don't have the money for a block girdle and block guard, then just do the block girdle.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Night bump... off to bed!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just turbo the stock LS for mid 300's. Stock sleeves will take 500hp, so with just some eagle rods and forged pistons you will be set if aiming for that arena. If you want big power numbers then the VTEC head will definitely outflow the LS head, and would be the better choice. Check out this thread for more info.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/lst-ls-t-turbo-b18a-b18b-setups-1323059/
Old 07-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I have been checking out the thread.. I am thinking about going with vtec. alil more money but looking more and more worth it.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LS-turbo will end up costing you alot more in the long run. The hp/$$ makes more sense going vtec.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there is a debate with block guards causing poor cooling. I forget what the other option is called, but it's a filling that is done about 2/3 up the open part of the deck that is used for hardening. There is a thread in the 90-02 Accord forum of a member that's using this on his holset setup with a built F22 with eagle h22 rods and evo stroker pistons.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OBVIOUSLY ls vtec is a better choice. you'll make more power with less boost. and you'll only spend an extra few hundred bucks.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92redhatch
OBVIOUSLY ls vtec is a better choice. you'll make more power with less boost. and you'll only spend an extra few hundred bucks.
less boost for more power is almost always a better route. less heat
Old 07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are just wanting mid 300's the stay ls. I am saying this from experience. At that hp level you will have a better power band for fun driving. Just make sure you get a smaller T3/T4 turbo or something that spools fast and run the boost nessessary to make that hp. If you just plan on it being a weekend car or track car then get a bigger turbo.

just my .02
Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you only plan to make 300whp then just stick with the LS. Anything over 350 whp I would think about going LS/Vtec.

Sleeveing would be a good idea if you plan to make ~500+ whp. IF you do not daily drive 500 whp, then you can get away with out sleeving, but still would be a good idea.