Notices

Ls Turbo, Concrete answers if there are any

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls Turbo, Concrete answers if there are any

O.k I have been searching forums and I still have some need for concrete answers.

I am going to buiold a custom turbo setup for my daily driver, mainly out of a need to do something, an 97 teg b18b with 53k. I have used some equations to determine the boost I would need to get my target HP, namely [b/14.7+1]*stockHP=TotalHP. I have determined I need 7psi, or there abouts. I will be including a fuel tunning unit and boost controler, things will be tunned. So here are the questions:

1. I will be running stock internals, will they handle this for long periods of time, like cross country road trips, and will the life of the engine suffer? I have read everything from only run 5psi to it would be ok to run 10psi all day and night.

2. It is a daily driver and an auto, I will be upgrading the tranny to handle the boost, I will never see the high revs on the street. So I need something to spool very quickly and that can handle the perscribed boost efficiently. What is that turbo. I have read anything from IHI to T3/T4's.

I know this is rehashing a lot of matirial but I thought with some specific info about what is going to happen I might be able to get some more specific answers.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Old 04-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Turbo, Concrete answers if there are any (recordsmith)

Your first question doest make sense. Are you planning on being at full boost the whole road trip? The term "running 10 psi all day and night" doesn't make sense either. Im not flaming but do you understand how a turbo works?
Old 04-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i'll give it a shot
...well if you only going to be boosting 7-10psi daily why the heck to you wanna pice you own kit together? just get a greddy kit! very very very streetable!!

1) well if your turbo is properly installed and if you have the proper tunning the motor should be as reliable as stock! Now as for wear and tear on the motor thats a different case that has many many variable to be answered. If you are like me and drive you auto teg very nicely it should last you another 50-75k. You'll have to do more maintance check (oil lines, temp, pressure, hose, clamps, more oil changes, ect) Trust me you can drive all day long and not even have to boost(meaning no addition stress/wear on the motor)

as for road trip you'll hardly ever see boost because you motor will not be under a lot of "load" there for the motor will just drive like a normal NA motor.

the reasons why turbo charged motors don't last long is mainly tuning and how ofter the motor see BOOST! boost is what will add stress to all parts of the internal motor.

2)why do you want to upgrage you auto tranny? if your barely ever going to be useing it? Sure it great for that "once in a while WOT run/race" but thats not worth sacrafiying the comfert of having to daily drive a car that shifts likes super hard (seeing that most honda trannys shift harder compared to others)
***for quick spool on the street you want a really small turbo something like a greddy 15G would be perfect combination for a 1.8liter. you'll reach full boost like around 2800 and will pull all the way to about 6k..(but your car is auto so that's fine since you really looking for a motor/turbo that will give you minmal gains)

it seems like you are seriouse about this but you lack the knowleadge. You should read up and do more reaserach on how turbo works, tunning, basic termonogly ect. i like helping out people who are seriouse and ask deatiled/thought out questions.... IM you if you can & if you have any more questions.. most people will mostlikely not respond to this post.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno what that equation's all about, but remember you're going to get substantially less hp with an auto turbo honda than with the manual. For example, a stick LS might have 200-210 whp @ 7psi (t3/t04e, 57 trim), whereas auto would get maybe 180. If you're going for a smaller, quicker spooling turbo, those numbers will be even lower.