Notices

Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing?

This is an old *** thread so dont read. The LS tranny sucks for drag racing period and i regret getting it 3rd gear is so slooooooowww!!!

I wore out the GSR tranny after 95K miles and now Ive installed an LS tranny (mainly for taller gearing). The LS tranny doesnt shift as smooth as the GSR did. I really notice it when down shifting from a taller gear its more difficult to put in at high rpm. I know its not a bad tranny cause I know the car that the tranny came from low mileage 0 miles of racing on it.

Modified by S03Burner at 7:30 PM 12/15/2003
Old 01-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (SO3Burner)

hey I cant answer your question but im curious how much did your gearing change when u went from the GSR tranny to LS tranny? do u get more mph in each gear then before?
Old 01-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (DIRep972)

approx 10 mph (more) per gear with the new tranny.

I can do over 100 mph in third gear.

[Modified by SO3Burner, 6:04 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Smarter than you

OMG I want a GSR motor with LS tranny.. I already have an LS tranny but my geaaring is horrible.. 30 in first, 60 in 2nd, 85 in 3rd, 110 in 4th.. is the only reason GSR's climb so high in each gear cause of the 8k redline?
Old 01-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

.. is the only reason GSR's climb so high in each gear cause of the 8k redline?
Yes.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I assume so.
I wonder what it would do with a 9000k redline. I could calculate it but it would be more fun to try it. Just need some new cams.

[Modified by SO3Burner, 6:25 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 09:23 PM
New User

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (X2BOARD)

a GSR tranny works pretty good with a LS motor
Old 01-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (dlplayboy)

what happens to the LS gearing when u put a GSR tranny in?
Old 01-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (dlplayboy)

damn, now you guys are making me think again.....

I mostly raced a high speed races on the freeway, for me starting at around 70 mph and drop it to third, is prolly my best pull out of all high gear...
will LS tranny help in that occasion ? or is it just for a race from a dead stop..?

stan

[Modified by Flamenco-T, 10:27 PM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I think is the only reason all the vtec motor have the closer gear ratios is because of the lack of torque. The LS trans has higher gearing cause the motor can supply the torque to move the car under the vtec range ( <4600 ).
Now, the only reason people use LS for racing, specifically turbo or FI cars--is because it will take longer to go through the gears. Boost will be there for a longer time. Also less shifting, mainly also to keep the turbo spooled and in boost--and in certain instances dealing with slick sizes some may go through the traps in forth gear instead of fifth.
That should sum it up, but I'm sure someone will have something to add.......
Old 01-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (93LSivic)

Also if you didnt notice my sig. I have a GSR trans in my LS powered hatch. At the track in hard driving/shifting conditions I can chirp forth gear. This is after the burn out. Obviously I spun a little into second and a little in third.
My car isnt too modded, just I/H/E/FPR/Chip.......
Old 01-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DIRep972, you would have to shift faster. Might be quicker shifting from my experience with the trannys.

FlamencoT, MORE boost would help just fine.

93LSivic, how did you chirp forth (fourth) without turbo...I could only chirp third when I put the turbo at 8 lbs ?%*

[Modified by SO3Burner, 6:34 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (93LSivic)

I think they have the close ratio gearing on the GSR to keep it in vtec.. Most sports cars, or cars that are fast from the factory all can reach 100 in 3rd but then again they are all RWD i dont know if that makes a difference..

and the last thing i want to do is shift any faster.. I want to shift less

[Modified by DIRep972, 6:41 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to chirp 4th all the time if i tried with my integra... i/h/e and i had 18's on it... so it isnt that hard (oh... and a cm stg 4 clutch) i know someone who light ups 4th gear cruising on the expressway if they drop it and then punch it
Old 01-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh... and with an ls tranny u may stay in boost for longer... but it will not make the car faster
Old 01-10-2002, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe I'm completely missing something here, but I really don't understand why everyone these days is using an ls tranny with a gsr turbo. The ONLY two reasons why I can see people switching to an ls tranny is because they have to shift into fifth in the 1/4mile because they're making ALOT of power and redline 4th, or they do alot of illegal high speed racing, so they can stay in 4th gear longer. For a STREET CAR, especially with low boost the gsr tranny is nice, because the revs don't drop too much just putzing around town.

Do people understand that they're actually putting down less hp w/ the ls tranny than the gsr because of the taller gearing?? In the 1/4, ideally you want to be at the very top of 4th as you finish. A gsr tranny w/ the stock redline will see around 120mph traps, and I'm sure very few people are actually hitting anthing close to that speed. For the majority of people, do yourself a favor and just stick with your gsr tranny. I don't understand why in the hell so many people think that "taller gearing is better".. Now if your tranny took a dump and you need a cheap replacement, that's another story...

-Mike
Old 01-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gsr's have close gearing because from the factory, they have a narrow power band. The displacement is only 1.8l so they generate little torque. A way to make the car more peppy and quicker is to have shorter gearing, so the motor can stay in the powerband when you shift. More power is put to the ground when you shorten the gears. Check out Frank Lin's web page. Anyone got a link? It has an excellent explanation about gearing. Ever wonder why people change out the final drive? It sure isn't because they like to shift a whole lot more...

-Mike
Old 01-11-2002, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (SlowTeg)

Slowteg, I reread your post 2x and I cannot find any supporting facts or reasons for your opinion as to why it is bad to put an ls tranny instead of a gsr tranny. First you give your two opinions of the ONLY two reasons YOU THINK its good to have an ls tranny....being in 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 and high speed racing. You make no mention as to other benefits....not spinning so much out of the hole or in 1st, 2nd gear and staying in boost longer per gear.
Then you conclude that an ls tranny puts out less hp...I looked for a reason why and then you say because ideally you want to be at the top of 4th gear at the end of the 1/4. WTF?!!!!!!!!!!! Then you talk about trap speeds.....Im sorry but do you know what you are talking about, Mike? If so then please give reasons and dont just give me conclusions.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine who has a 2000 Si with the Vortech kit switched from the stock tranny to an LS tranny. He pulls noticably longer in each gear. In my opinion if you are FI or using nitrous I would very much reccomend the changeover.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:32 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (H22Si)

I think there is some confusion going on here. There are two topics of interest to discuss...1)staying in boost longer for a given gear = final drive 2)staying in your engines power band = gear spacing/ratio. Gear spacing should reflect how your engine makes it's power. Most VTEC engines are still "peaky", even on boost. So, they will need closer spacing as to not fall off their power band. According to how much power you're laying down and where your trapping in the 1/4, should determine your final drive. It should be noted that tire/slick size also plays a big part in this. ...so what's this mean. Absolutely nothing! Eveyone has a different set-up, so what's good for one guy may not be for you. I don't think you can gereralize and say the LS tranny is better or worse.

...oh and if it matters, 1st and 2nd gears are the same (3.230/1.900) between the LS and GS-R. I forget what 3rd is on the LS, but 4th and 5th are spaced farther apart than the GS-R.

Just thought I'd rant...
Old 01-11-2002, 06:35 AM
New User

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (H22Si)

I have a 97 LS tranny and I will trade anyone with a gsr tranny.

email
Josh22memphis@aol.com
Old 01-11-2002, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing? (jdmciviceg)

LS trannies are slower! period... is everyone so lazy to shift that u have to get longer gears?! when people put differant fd's in their trannies or shorter gears in general... whats it do? it makes their cars faster... and this works in the opposite direction as well... put shorter gears/fd's in... ur going to be slower... unless u shift like my grandma that is then u pr0olly would think an ls is faster cuz "u stay in boost!!!"
Old 01-11-2002, 08:54 AM
New User

Maybe I'm completely missing something here, but I really don't understand why everyone these days is using an ls tranny with a gsr turbo. The ONLY two reasons why I can see people switching to an ls tranny is because they have to shift into fifth in the 1/4mile because they're making ALOT of power and redline 4th, or they do alot of illegal high speed racing, so they can stay in 4th gear longer. For a STREET CAR, especially with low boost the gsr tranny is nice, because the revs don't drop too much just putzing around town.

Do people understand that they're actually putting down less hp w/ the ls tranny than the gsr because of the taller gearing?? In the 1/4, ideally you want to be at the very top of 4th as you finish. A gsr tranny w/ the stock redline will see around 120mph traps, and I'm sure very few people are actually hitting anthing close to that speed. For the majority of people, do yourself a favor and just stick with your gsr tranny. I don't understand why in the hell so many people think that "taller gearing is better".. Now if your tranny took a dump and you need a cheap replacement, that's another story...

-Mike

i agree 100%. i ditched the ls tranny for a gsr. its way better. so much more agressive on the street. with the ls tanny and 24.5 slicks and a 9000+ red line, it was possible to go through the traps in third gear. that sucks for power. if you have under 400 to the wheels, stay with the gsr tranny on a b18c1.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, obviously you have no clue how gearing affects hp output. Ever wonder why people who dyno in third gear uncorrected put down more power than people in 4th gear?? The taller gearing is what puts out less hp, not the tranny. Like I said, check out Frank's page. Anyone have a link???? He has an excellent explanation about gearing. I don't feel like explaining it in detail because it'd take too long.

Ok, found it: http://www.g-speed.com/pbh

Search through the tech articles, there's alot of good info there.

Finally, there's nothing you can do about lack of traction in 1st and 2nd. It's a FWD car.. That's what slicks are for..

-Mike
Old 01-11-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for tranny specs: http://www.bseries.net/html/specs/btrannyspecs.php

Quick Reply: Is the LS tranny only suited to drag racing?