Notices

Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny?????

I have a 00 B18B1 w/98GSR Tranny.... which would help me make more power or better performance the GSR tranny or the LS tranny.... when i was running all motor i felt that the LS tranny had push out more torque and the GSR had picked up faster but torque was kind of weak... should i go with GSR or LS tranny for B18B Turbo... any expertise?????
Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (Endoe)

keep the gsr. gears probably go by fast so you think its not fast.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would tell you to search but i'm not one to do so...

just stick with your GSR tranny, it's the best all around tranny to have with a boosted LS. trust me, i've had GSR trannies on all my turbo'd LS motors and i would never slap another tranny on.

if you're having trouble deciding on a tranny, just think of gears on a bike or something. it'll help you sort things out a bit.
shorter gears = faster acceleration/lower top end
longer gears = slower acceleration/higher top end
Old 11-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (shermanyang)

cool..thanks guys.....really appreciated.. .
Old 11-23-2004, 09:49 AM

SEARCH!!!!
use the GSR. LS tranys suck for everything except high speed runs.
in before the lock!

Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (Stickdeath)

LS tranny for boost, and gsr tranny for n/a...
Old 11-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (Stickdeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stickdeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SEARCH!!!!
use the GSR. LS tranys suck for everything except high speed runs.
in before the lock!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do u know this for a fact????What proof do u have??
Old 11-23-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (99lspwr)

shorter gears &gt; longer gears...
Old 11-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99lspwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LS tranny for boost, and gsr tranny for n/a... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to this guy. That's one of the biggest myths ever. No matter what shorter gears will always help you move faster. Unless of course you have a turbo ls with a b16 tranny, then there could possibly be traction issues. That is why as already stated by someone else, stick with the gsr tranny.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depend's how much power your making, how big of a tire you run and how high you rev it. For most LS turbo street set ups the GSR tranny is the way to go. However, alot of LS turbo guys will have to run the LS tranny so that they don't have to shift into 5th in the 1/4.

FYI, I had an LS turbo set up w/ GSR tranny. 7600rpm rev limit, 23" tall tire, and I was having to shift 5th right at the end of the 1/4. I was only trapping 109mph. If I had made another 100hp, that tranny would have been WAY too short, and I woulda NEEDED the LS in order to not have to shift to 5th.

also, 99lspwr is speaking from experience here. He had an LS turbo set up that did about 117mph in the 1/4, and on a 24.5" slick he was topping out 4th WITH the LS tranny. Anything shorter would have been stupid on his set up.

Pick your tire, rev your engine as high as possible, and choose your tranny/fd so that you cross the finish line at the top of 4th gear. Then the subsequent gears should be as short as possible but not too short to where there is too much spread and you fall out of your powerband. Thats all you really gotta do to pick a tranny. not this "shorter gears" are always better bull **** from the bandwagoner's. Gears are relative to the set up. Its about using them most efficiently.

Oh, and alot of people don't realize this.. But a B16 has the most gear spread from 3rd-4th... That means your rpm's drop from 3rd to 4th gear MORE on the B16 tranny then with the LS AND GSR!!

Sorry for the rant, but I still see SOOOOOOOO many people who don't understand gearing.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (DIRep972)

bump for someone who really understands trannys
Old 11-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (BLacK FirE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLacK FirE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't listen to this guy. That's one of the biggest myths ever. No matter what shorter gears will always help you move faster. Unless of course you have a turbo ls with a b16 tranny, then there could possibly be traction issues. That is why as already stated by someone else, stick with the gsr tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HT class of 04 is lookin about as sharp as a bowling ball these days...
Old 11-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depend's how much power your making, how big of a tire you run and how high you rev it. For most LS turbo street set ups the GSR tranny is the way to go. However, alot of LS turbo guys will have to run the LS tranny so that they don't have to shift into 5th in the 1/4.

FYI, I had an LS turbo set up w/ GSR tranny. 7600rpm rev limit, 23" tall tire, and I was having to shift 5th right at the end of the 1/4. I was only trapping 109mph. If I had made another 100hp, that tranny would have been WAY too short, and I woulda NEEDED the LS in order to not have to shift to 5th.

also, 99lspwr is speaking from experience here. He had an LS turbo set up that did about 117mph in the 1/4, and on a 24.5" slick he was topping out 4th WITH the LS tranny. Anything shorter would have been stupid on his set up.

Pick your tire, rev your engine as high as possible, and choose your tranny/fd so that you cross the finish line at the top of 4th gear. Then the subsequent gears should be as short as possible but not too short to where there is too much spread and you fall out of your powerband. Thats all you really gotta do to pick a tranny. not this "shorter gears" are always better bull **** from the bandwagoner's. Gears are relative to the set up. Its about using them most efficiently.

Oh, and alot of people don't realize this.. But a B16 has the most gear spread from 3rd-4th... That means your rpm's drop from 3rd to 4th gear MORE on the B16 tranny then with the LS AND GSR!!

Sorry for the rant, but I still see SOOOOOOOO many people who don't understand gearing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Expierence along with knowledge is power...
Old 11-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (tblazak)

good info
Old 11-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shorter gears &gt; longer gears... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on the set-up as well as what the car is going to be used for...Power level also..
Old 11-23-2004, 01:59 PM

gsr
Old 11-23-2004, 02:28 PM

LS tranny with 4.4 or higher final drive
Old 11-23-2004, 02:32 PM

So how do you know if an LS tranny is better or a gsr tranny is better in a turbo b18b?? My goal is to run 350+ in my LS and I will always have 17inch rims (due to the clearance issue of my rotora), so will keeping my LS tranny be the best option bc I have bigger wheels?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DIRep972 is correct. although shorter gears will accelerate you faster, there are lots of other things to take into consideration as well as he stated.

i don't have to shift till 8500 on my LS so my story is a bit different from yours.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (shermanyang)

I'm having to shift into 5th w/ my LS tranny on 22" slicks shifting @ 7200. I am going to stick w/ an LS tranny for the time being. So, the LS tranny gets my vote

Phil
Old 11-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (Mr.DC2TurBo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.DC2TurBo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how do you know if an LS tranny is better or a gsr tranny is better in a turbo b18b?? My goal is to run 350+ in my LS and I will always have 17inch rims (due to the clearance issue of my rotora), so will keeping my LS tranny be the best option bc I have bigger wheels? </TD></TR></TABLE>

experience is usually the best way to tell.. but you can get pretty close if you know the weight of your car and you know the power. From there you can get a pretty close idea of what the trap speed is going to be. Then you would want to input the tire size, max rpm of the engine and the two different trannies to figure out which one will be closest to maxing out 4th w/ out having to use 5th. W/ out doing all that, you just need experience. Im assuming you have an integra and w/ the integra weight you will probably go between 115-120 @ 350whp. If your making that 350 on stock head/cam's, then you definitly need the LS tranny.. If your making that 350 on built head/bigger cams that allow you to rev to 8k+, then your going to want the GSR trans. hope that helps
Old 11-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not this "shorter gears" are always better bull **** from the bandwagoner's. Gears are relative to the set up. Its about using them most efficiently. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well instead of going to a longer gear. why not go to a taller slick? Added traction would benifit you more than longer gearing. You dont wanna fall outta your powerband w/ a larger turbo setup or it'll be like hitting the breaks if you fall outta boost. Am i right?

On 20 inch slicks, GSR tranny, 7,000 revlemit on my B20 turbo I ran 12.7 @ 110. I went into 5th gear at the 1/8 mile marker and was at about 6700rpms in 5th at the 1320. In this case. I just need taller slicks. 2.0 60ft times. and only 110 trap because of the small slick diameter. With a 24.5 slicks I may have be able to run out 4th and trap 115-117 maybe. but kept the power still in the power band also.

I dont know if any of this is making much since but im tryin to explain it.

what do u think?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny????? (JDM S1eeper)

yeh slick size will definitly influence the gearing. It has the same effect as changing the final drive. For most application's, I think you should pick the slick first, according to how much power you have, and then from there you can get the gears right. Instead of doing it the other way around where you pick a tranny first and then have to change the slick to make it work. The slick is the most important part of the combination; so I definitly would not want to cheat myself out of the right slick.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeh slick size will definitly influence the gearing. It has the same effect as changing the final drive. For most application's, I think you should pick the slick first, according to how much power you have, and then from there you can get the gears right. Instead of doing it the other way around where you pick a tranny first and then have to change the slick to make it work. The slick is the most important part of the combination; so I definitly would not want to cheat myself out of the right slick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sweet, just what i wanted to hear
Old 11-23-2004, 07:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99lspwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Depends on the set-up as well as what the car is going to be used for...Power level also.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. There are too many variables you have to look at when choosing the correct tranny. I am just talking about in general though, for a street/strip car I would go with a GSR or B16/ITR tranny over an LS tranny any day. I would rather have a shorter geared tranny so I could keep my rpms up. I'm not going to use a longer geared tranny to help with traction problems, unless it's absolutely necessary. I can find other ways to get traction.

Quick Reply: Ls Tranny or GSR Tranny?????