Notices

ls tranny good for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls tranny good for turbo?

i got a b16a with a ls tranny u guys think ill do good with that tranny? im boostin
Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (boosted2cam)

This thread has been beat to death... do a search on this...

Blaze
Old 03-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (Blaze45)

wanna sell you b16 tranny to me??
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted2cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a b16a with a ls tranny u guys think ill do good with that tranny? im boostin</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmmm...

» Search Results

Your search for ls tranny turbo returned 212 results.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (Burke)

uh i dont have a b16 tranny i wish i did but i got a ls tranny
Old 03-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get gsr trans. Imo, the gsr transmission is the best option. It's like the perfect book. The chapters flow, it's not too long, not too short, not too expesive. The ls trans is ... Kinda like an overweight 10 yr old playing soccer. No potential, and really has no kick.

So go read a book
Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (Jwbetley)

it really depends on what kinda turbo u run and how much power u plan to make .. i think the LS is a great turbo tranny B16 is way to short, the gsr is good unless u make ton's of power , where i would prefer the Ls .. plus u will be able to drive it on the highway and not tach real high
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (ReDHaTcHy97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReDHaTcHy97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it really depends on what kinda turbo u run and how much power u plan to make .. i think the LS is a great turbo tranny B16 is way to short, the gsr is good unless u make ton's of power , where i would prefer the Ls .. plus u will be able to drive it on the highway and not tach real high </TD></TR></TABLE>

On a ball-less B16, give me a damn break. The LS tranny sucks, my roomie had a B16 with an LS trans and every day we cursed it because it sucked that much *****.

Stock LS revving to 7K - LS tranny
Any VTEC B-series motor that turns 8500+ without flinching - LS tranny
Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (turboEGhatch)

how much gsr tranny run for
Old 03-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like 500 & up
Old 03-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (redturbocivic)

is that with lsd? damn thats pretty cheap u know anyone sellin one
Old 03-08-2005, 05:49 AM

http://www.hmotorsonline.com

Please please dont screw up that beautiful fresh LS transmission, save it for people that are boosted and need transmissions. Think of the turbocharged crowd.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (NotPhilTran)

I am going to get a tranny with 1 gear so I can stay in boost forever!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:37 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (beerbongskickass)

For all you D-Series guys out there, I'll sell you VX 2nd-5th gears!!! Boost forever!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On a ball-less B16, give me a damn break. The LS tranny sucks, my roomie had a B16 with an LS trans and every day we cursed it because it sucked that much *****.

Stock LS revving to 7K - LS tranny
Any VTEC B-series motor that turns 8500+ without flinching - LS tranny </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno how ball-less his B16 is gonna be remember this is the forced induction forum, and if he is plannign on making some real power "I" think that the Ls would be a better choice, with a bigger turbo the longer gears give it time to actually spool and use the power , there are some people that will disagree with me but thats there option and there intitled to it.. I'm just going from personal experiance..... if he is not plannign on making alot of power than the gsr would be a better choice.. Now an all motor B16 with a Ls trans sucks *** , which is probably what u are talking about or u were runnign very little boost,
I would recomend that u do some reasearch , see what other people are using with setups similar to what u are going to build.. if ur going for 400+hp i'd use the Ls
Old 03-08-2005, 01:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReDHaTcHy97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dunno how ball-less his B16 is gonna be remember this is the forced induction forum, and if he is plannign on making some real power "I" think that the Ls would be a better choice, with a bigger turbo the longer gears give it time to actually spool and use the power , there are some people that will disagree with me but thats there option and there intitled to it.. I'm just going from personal experiance..... if he is not plannign on making alot of power than the gsr would be a better choice.. Now an all motor B16 with a Ls trans sucks *** , which is probably what u are talking about or u were runnign very little boost,
I would recomend that u do some reasearch , see what other people are using with setups similar to what u are going to build.. if ur going for 400+hp i'd use the Ls </TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess what? You're wrong. People saying shorter gearing is better for turbo isn't their opinion, it's a fact, it's grade 10 physics. Shorter gearing means more actual torque put to the wheels, think of shorter gearing as running a pulley system to lift something up, you do the work quicker. Gearing is the same way. You want the absolute most shortest gear possible, realisticly. An LS on 23.1" tires with a 9000 redline is already turning 115 MPH in third gear. Way too long.

Think of it this way too. When you rode your mountain bike as a kid, would you run the short gears or the long gears? A B16 is like sitting down on the seat. Not much torque, not much mechanical advantage. You need the shorter gears to make the most of the torque you're producing. When you're standing up you could run the longer gears to accelerate, but you still accelerate much faster with the shorter gears.

It's been proven time and time again that the LS tranny and the "longer gears for boost" stuff is pure garbage. Do you still believe it when you read that LS motors have a poor rod/stroke ratio, and LS/VTEC's are a crappy motor? Do you still believe that big cams suck for turbo, and you should run B16 cams in turbo setups, even thought the ITR/CTR cams have been dyno proven to add significant power? Do you still believe stock B-series sleeves can't handle more than 300 WHP? There is a lot of internet crap that has been started over hondas, and the LS tranny for boost one is just as wrong as any of the other examples.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:03 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReDHaTcHy97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if i was going for 400+hp i'd use the Ls </TD></TR></TABLE>

You go do that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Guess what? You're wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Snicker
Old 03-08-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (DaX)

Didn't meant to sound like an *** because I was pretty cranky earlier, but physics is physics. Shortest gearing possible equals quickest accleration. Even look at something like an NMRA SSO car, running into the low low 7's they can run a 2/3 speed automatic with a torque converter, or they can run a 5-speed and a clutch. The 5-speed/clutch combo means you have to add 200 pounds to your base weight, and those cars are still at the top, because the tighter gearing helps.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i understand what u are saying but if i'm making over 500hp i'm gonna use a LS trans. i said the gsr would be a better trans for him to use .... but as far as ur bike there its ok if ur not making much power. but that power I'm gonna be making this year would be like putting king kong on my bike... and those shorter gear would be kind useless in the fact the u wouldn't be in them long enough to get the power to the pavement..... actually a hybrid tranns is the best thing to use ,, take that ls and replace 3rd and 4th with a gsr 3-4 ..
Old 03-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another thig is i drive my car everyday , up and down the interstate.. i'm not worried if i'm gonna gain a little with a gsr vs a ls.... slick size also has a part to play in this also
Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReDHaTcHy97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another thig is i drive my car everyday , up and down the interstate.. i'm not worried if i'm gonna gain a little with a gsr vs a ls.... slick size also has a part to play in this also </TD></TR></TABLE>

Slick size does have a huge role to play, and a typical 24.5" slick growing to 25 inches nets you over 150 MPH in fourth, and an akward 123 MPH in third.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:22 PM

since that basically would be a gsr trans with a ls 5th wouldnt it be cheaper to use an ls... if not fill me in on what im missing...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:23 PM

if your selling the LS tranny let me know.. im intrested...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReDHaTcHy97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i understand what u are saying but if i'm making over 500hp i'm gonna use a LS trans. i said the gsr would be a better trans for him to use .... but as far as ur bike there its ok if ur not making much power. but that power I'm gonna be making this year would be like putting king kong on my bike... and those shorter gear would be kind useless in the fact the u wouldn't be in them long enough to get the power to the pavement..... actually a hybrid tranns is the best thing to use ,, take that ls and replace 3rd and 4th with a gsr 3-4 .. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The laskey racing crx is making well over 700 horsepower and they use a b16 tranny.

I think your looking at it the wrong way though. Here is how I look at it. Our honda motors make power at high rpms, so you want to keep the rpms up in the powerband as much as possible, this would mean having a tranny with shorter gears. If you had a tranny with longer gears, the rpms would drop farther down during shifts, so you could possibley be falling out of boost and out of the fat part of the powerband. So technically you would be in boost and the fat part of the powerband longer with a shorter geared tranny, shifting only takes a split second.

This is just in general. Of course a lot of different things like redline, tires size, etc... are going to play a role in what tranny you choose, but for most of us a shorter geared tranny will only help. I would much rather work on other things to get traction (suspension, lsd, traction bars, wheelie bars, motor mounts, staged boost controllers, etc...) before going with a longer geared tranny.

Here is a good article about tranny's... http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=1496
Old 03-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls tranny good for turbo? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shifting only takes a split second.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Split seconds add up

Quick Reply: ls tranny good for turbo?