Notices

LS-T, want to add nitrous.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-T, want to add nitrous.

Ok my current setup I have a stock LS engine, I am pushing a SC61 turbo and the lag is pretty bad. 2nd gear I barely reach full boost at around 6000-6500 right before redline. I get maybe 3-4psi in 1st gear. Anyway, I have just got slicks and traction bars, what I want next is a 25shot of nitrous(or just a small shot) to help me achieve full boost faster, I would probably only use it in 1st gear I am guessing, I don't plan to use it while at full boost. I am tuned using Uberdata, I would like to not have to alter the maps because I sold my wideband and the shop that did my tuning is about 5 hours away. What kit would you recommend for only drag strip use to get such a small shot. What sort of tuning would be required to keep from messing up my engine(given that it's in good shape). Is it possible to leave my timing and fuel pressure unadjusted with any of the kits to prevent throwing off my tune for the turbo?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS-T, want to add nitrous. (sykotic)

But dont you have pretty good traction in 1st and second right now?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: LS-T, want to add nitrous. (Boostage)

No actually I have pretty horrible traction on street tires, I haven't gotten to run yet with the traction bars and slicks I will this friday, I just want to get spooling faster to make for a faster run.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS-T, want to add nitrous. (Boostage)

If you barely reach full boost by 6000-6500 you have a leak. Many people are running sc61's on stock LS's and report that they like it a lot.

Find it out before you spray nitrous at the problem
Old 06-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What size downpipe? What size exhaust? Have you checked over ALL the intercooler piping and couplings? Something's amiss with your setup.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: LS-T, want to add nitrous. (Boltz)

Thx for the tip, I actually love it, it makes for a great daily driver but I can hardly even get the BOV to whistle in 1st(not actually blow off), I don't know if thats normal or not, I plan on getting my intercooler piping remade and T-bolt clamps instead of these stupid screw clamps. My best 60' as of yet is a 2.4 on street tires so I need to knock that down alot. My best 1/4 run is a 14.3 on 10psi, I made 254whp 211tq on the dyno with this setup. I know this is pretty bad for my setup... but I really don't know what the issue is, I don't THINK it's my driving because the 14.3 run I don't see how it couldve gotten much better, the shifts were perfect, the launch I spun VERY little and didn't bog. Anyway, the nitrous is just an idea, i just want some input on tuning to find out how practical it is and how costly it's going to be, i'm not completely set on it yet.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Downpipe is 2 1/4", exhaust is 2 1/2", I know that's pretty small for the setup but I needed the downpipe made pretty quickly and got it done by a local muffler shop with some scrap piping, it's a good downpipe just a little small but I don't think it's throwing my setup off that much, when I run this friday I plan to run open downpipe and remove the cat all the way back.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Run the open downpipe, check over ALL your intercooler piping AND couplings. Report back when you do this. Do you use a boost controller? Vacuum lines are in check? You have a problem some where in your setup. I have seen (personally) LS's with SC61's (T350) make full boost from 4,500RPM - 5,300RPM depending upon the the boost pressure. An LS I was tuning a while back saw 20lbs with an SC61 with an S compressor cover T350 .63 A/R turbine housing by 5,300RPM or less (can't remember exactly). All that was done to his head was custom camshafts.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:09 PM

You have a boost leak. . .

No blow off in first? Make a $5 boost leak tester at home depot and use a compressor to check your intercooler piping for leaks.

Even a very small hole can throw stuff way off.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DragSource)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragSource &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a boost leak. . .

No blow off in first? Make a $5 boost leak tester at home depot and use a compressor to check your intercooler piping for leaks.

Even a very small hole can throw stuff way off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a small hole we found in a coupling at the compressor outlet on my friend's RSX-S.

Boost came in late and fell off up top. We went out to run an LS1 that he should of beat and lost at a higher MPH. Knowing something was wrong I looked at the KPro datalog and something was definitely wrong. Started going through all the intercooler piping as best as I could in the dark and found that hole in the coupling.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DragSource)

The turbo is too big, your only running 10 psi. the turbo is meant to make a **** load of power and it effciency is in the high range psi. i recommended going with a sc34 or something similar.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

I realize that, I went with the larger turbo to have with my future motor build so I wouldn't have to take on the cost of a new turbo at the same time of all the other costs of the engine build.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StolenTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The turbo is too big, your only running 10 psi. the turbo is meant to make a **** load of power and it effciency is in the high range psi. i recommended going with a sc34 or something similar.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats what im going with on a semi built ls. alot of people have told me to go with the sc61 but i want it too spool up quick and the most ill be on is probally 15 psi so the sc34 will be just right for me
Old 06-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JA_EH94)

I am about to run an SC34 on my LS also ...

But it does sound like you have a leak or some type of problem.... if you can find your boost leak remember once you repair it your tuning will be way off if you were tuned with the leak ... once you fix it you'll see alot more CFM and probably be way lean .... so baby it
Old 06-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: (jfoster)

*Sorry not to invade the thread* but i have the same problem and would also like to know.. BTW ive changed the coupler that hooks up the pipe to the commpressor and still same. and other couplers seems to be intact