Notices

LS-T... buy a turbo kit, or build my own?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-T... buy a turbo kit, or build my own?

should i get a peak boost kit for 3500 or build my own for who knows how much...?

http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/pebtokit.html
Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS-T... buy a turbo kit, or build my own? (Mixmasta)

well man I am glad to see that you are researching. It all depends on what you want to do and what your goals are. I personally was in the same boat you are in now and I took the route in which "MY" opinion I think its best to build you own kit that way you can learn about your parts as you buy them. I am going LS-T also
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: LS-T... buy a turbo kit, or build my own? (Bonestock98GS)

make your own...

well, get a manifold/dp/dumptube combo. then pick a turbo for your goals.

you can buy an intercooler and either make the piping or buy it as a kit.

fuel system etc can be bought seperately.

AVOID cheap ebay ****. 99% of the time you get what you pay for within reason. its real cheap for a reason...
Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Build your own, research what you need and no ebay crap. I spent $2400 total on my LS-T and make 253whp/222wtq @ 8psi. Be patient and look in the classifieds for good deals. You'll always find something that you need!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure what size turbo i want to get, same thing with the IC. Since LS only revs to 7300, i dont want to have much lag, so i was thinking something like t3/t4 or gt35..

and for an intercooler something in the range of 27x6x2.5

any opinions or suggestions?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Mixmasta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mixmasta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not sure what size turbo i want to get, same thing with the IC. Since LS only revs to 7300, i dont want to have much lag, so i was thinking something like t3/t4 or gt35..

and for an intercooler something in the range of 27x6x2.5

any opinions or suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you want to piece it together or buy a full kit I would be more than happy to assist you. I stock more Peakboost than anybody including Peakboost. Not to mention we actually run there setups on various rides that aren't just Hondas.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That kit is nice i do like the kit it suck to keep collecting turbo parts untill u finally turbo it and that peakboost kit is nice as fauk. If u got the cash get it
if u buy separate parts u will end up spending more money then u thing cuz little thing cost alot and in the end it will end up being the same also depends on what kinda quality u want that is a high quality part there and they are worth the price the manifold is bad ***. I want one for my D16 not the top mount one that is cheaper wish i could find one cheap.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sctuned.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sctuned.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you want to piece it together or buy a full kit I would be more than happy to assist you. I stock more Peakboost than anybody including Peakboost. Not to mention we actually run there setups on various rides that aren't just Hondas.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a quick question for you. What are the pros and cons to the burly looking top mount, and the ram horn?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

once you go from a log manifold to a equal length or top mount your just allowing the gases to flow more evenly and faster making your setup more efficient, i would check out treadstone performance for your i/c i was kinda skeptical but i ordered mine and its huge !! got mine 300 shipped its the tr10, they have smaller ones like your looking for, hope this helps http://www.treadstoneperforman...olers
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM

im getting a vecco kit for 1800 shipped......they use alot of turbonetics stuff with they're own intercooler and piping
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

god speed intercooler cam wiht my friends vecco turbo kit and a stage II turbonetics super60
Old 11-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends if you want a kit that just bolts up together nicely without any headaches then just go with a peak boost with a basic t3/t4 turbo. if not then piece your own and use an SC34. just make sure who ever you get your manifold from have them make your DP and DT so that you know it works together
Old 11-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People have had great success with the Peakboost kits, but i would still suggest building your own...you can still use their manifolds and whatnot, but building your own setup allows you to get everything YOU want in your setup. I built my own setup a few times and learned a lot in the process

Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">People have had great success with the Peakboost kits, but i would still suggest building your own...you can still use their manifolds and whatnot, but building your own setup allows you to get everything YOU want in your setup. I built my own setup a few times and learned a lot in the process

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah cant you get a ftw manifold with downpipe for like 800 bucks?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah cant you get a ftw manifold with downpipe for like 800 bucks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Something like that....also, you're not limited to only Peakboost parts. There are other great companies out there too: SLS, SPoolin, RLD-Fab, RCAutoWorks, RC000E (idk his company name), etc....

I've had a lot of success with SLS....they built my last manifold/dp/dump combo and i couldnt be happier
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mixmasta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have a quick question for you. What are the pros and cons to the burly looking top mount, and the ram horn?</TD></TR></TABLE>

PM Peakboost. I could explain it, but it would take forever.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Man U FTW

log----&gt;shorty ram----&gt;ramhorn-----&gt;topmount

As you progress left to right, lag increases, but overall power potential increases generally. That's a pretty vague way of thinking about it, but generally how it works.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so, so far im thinking peak boost manifold/ downpipe/ dump tube combo. maybe a GT30 or 35 turbo or an SC34 turbo. Then a Treadstone TR8 intercooler..

who makes nice IC piping kits? and a good wastegate or BOV?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Man U FTW

What are your power goals?? Chances are, the turbos you mentioned are overkill for your goals. You can save a lot of money if you dont need a GT-R series. They're a great turbo series, but most people use them on setups where they aren't working to their potential (i.e. waste of money for their setups)

If you're buying Peakboost, get their IC piping kit. As for the wastegate and BOV, i would go with a Tial 38 wg and a Tial 50mm bov.

Another company to check out is SLS. They make some good stuff and sell everything as complete kits. They are proven to make great power and have great quality.

Check THIS out
Old 11-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my plan is i wanna do a mild boost set up on my stock ls, then once i do a complete build on the ls i wanna be able to crank it to 25-27psi and make 450ish hp..

but i dont feel like buying a cheap turbo kit at first just so i can push 7-10 lbs, then buy a nice one later.. seems like a waste.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've had good experiences boosting stock LS motors. get a good tune and you'll be straight. that SC34 does real good on the LS. on mine i have a GT3082 on 20psi. street tuned it myself and still running strong. also look into the AFI manifolds. i'm running one of the AFI mini ram horn
Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

which one do you like better, the SC34 or the GT?

i was thinking about a GT30 or something like that but they're kinda spendy
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mixmasta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my plan is i wanna do a mild boost set up on my stock ls, then once i do a complete build on the ls i wanna be able to crank it to 25-27psi and make 450ish hp..

but i dont feel like buying a cheap turbo kit at first just so i can push 7-10 lbs, then buy a nice one later.. seems like a waste.</TD></TR></TABLE>

skip the PSI goals as they mean nothing. Also the only turbos efficient at that pressure ratio are the Borg Warner S series or the Garrett GT-R series...everything else will be singing its death song
Old 11-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

build ur own with brand name bov wastgate intercooler and turbo, is prolly like 1500, save that 3500 for a very nice garret turbo. the job, if very smart will prolly take u 15hrs of hard work
Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mixmasta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which one do you like better, the SC34 or the GT?

i was thinking about a GT30 or something like that but they're kinda spendy</TD></TR></TABLE>

i like the GT30 because it makes more power but they are both good turbo's. my friend had an SC34 on his stock LS and it ran great. if you have the money for it get a GT30

Quick Reply: LS-T... buy a turbo kit, or build my own?