Notices

LS or GSR pistons in B16 for boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS or GSR pistons in B16 for boost

Hello, This is my first post in the FI forum, I'm an NA head. Anyway, A buddy of mine just asked me to build his stock B16 for boost, and I have the options of using either GSR or LS pistons. LS pistons would be more accessible right now and would drop the CR to about 8.5:1, whereas the GSR pistons would give around 9:1. The block will be rebuilt with Honda rings, and a Honda headgasket.

What would be a good (est) boost level for the LS pistons, and the GSR pistons?

The car will be chipped with chrome pro.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS or GSR pistons in B16 for boost (LSVT3K 91 C1V1C)

ehh im gonna go with the GSRs if you had to chose between the two...8:5:1 on what seems to be a budget build will really knock down your off boost power. keep it conservative with the GSRs.

ultimately id like to see you get a set of forged pistsons.....i blew up my OEM B16 pistons (shattered all four ringlands)...they dont last to long under boost.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Banned

Default Re: LS or GSR pistons in B16 for boost (Mr. Vapor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Vapor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ehh im gonna go with the GSRs if you had to chose between the two...8:5:1 on what seems to be a budget build will really knock down your off boost power. keep it conservative with the GSRs.

ultimately id like to see you get a set of forged pistsons.....i blew up my OEM B16 pistons (shattered all four ringlands)...they dont last to long under boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct, this is his "budget" build. I'm not too worried about detonating and melting the pistons, because the car will have proper tune and fuel management.

I'm just trying to determine, that if I did go with the LS pistons, what would be a good boost level for 8.5:1? If I went with GSR pistons, how much boost would be good to run with 9:1?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

bmup
Old 05-18-2006, 09:48 AM

You arn't going to be limited on the amount of boost you can run by compression on either setup, the amount of boost you're going to be able to run is going to be limited by cracking the weak stock honda ringlands from too much power.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default Re: LS or GSR pistons in B16 for boost (Chip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the amount of boost you're going to be able to run is going to be limited by cracking the weak stock honda ringlands from too much power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which is?

lol, I'm a b00st n00b.. Help a brotha out.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVT3K 91 C1V1C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Which is?

lol, I'm a b00st n00b.. Help a brotha out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything past about 300 WHP on pump gas for a car that is driven a lot and you're asking for trouble. When you have the motor torn apart it's not that much more of an expense to put in some forged pistons and rods instead of OEM stuff, and you get a ton more strength out of the motor. It's cheaper to do things right the first time.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets look at it this way:

New Pistons and rods - say $350 for the rods, $500 for pistsons

OR...

Run it as is (stock) and have a ringland blow up, destroy your cyildner walls, get down into your crank, have a bearing spin, chunks of metal get sucked up into your oil pick up, starve your motor of oil and then for the sake of things say you'll be dropping a valve too

that = New block, new crank, new oil pick up, new head, new valves, new pistons, new rods, new bearings etc etc.

your choice
Old 05-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anything past about 300 WHP on pump gas for a car that is driven a lot and you're asking for trouble. When you have the motor torn apart it's not that much more of an expense to put in some forged pistons and rods instead of OEM stuff, and you get a ton more strength out of the motor. It's cheaper to do things right the first time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand what you're saying... but this is not my motor. I am building a B16 for boost, all stock internals. Now, I just need to know how much power is SAFE.. and should I go with an LS or GSR piston for this application.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: R.I.P Brian Arbogast...you will be missed, maryland, USA

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anything past about 300 WHP on pump gas for a car that is driven a lot and you're asking for trouble. When you have the motor torn apart it's not that much more of an expense to put in some forged pistons and rods instead of OEM stuff, and you get a ton more strength out of the motor. It's cheaper to do things right the first time.</TD></TR></TABLE>