Notices

LS greddy turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS greddy turbo kit

how much power can the legal LS greddy turbo kit put out? how high can it be boosted? is the kit safe enough to run on a stock LS engine for say, a year or more? one more question. will the kit work in a hatch with LS engine? TIA
Old 08-15-2002, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (deviant1)

Don't get the greddy kit for an LS, spend the extra 400 and get a drag, you will be much more satisfied with the outcome.
But if you do go with a greddy, the answers to you questions...you can boost 10-12psi max on stock internals, at stock boost yes it is safe to run for a year or more but I suggest you get the greddy type 31 or type 24 intercooler for extra HP and easier on your engine, and the last question, yes it will work in a civic.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (RicerRacing69)

In my opinion, greddy, turbo, and ls shouldnt all be in the same sentence. For the price you will pay for the greddy and intercooler....think of what you can afford. DRAG =
Old 08-16-2002, 12:49 AM

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (CDooMe2)

i live in cali so cops are pretty ruff on mods. having a legal turbo kit would be nice. i know the drag turbo kit whoops *** but would it be possible to see maybe 250 whp with the legal greddy kit? on a stock engine?
Old 08-16-2002, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Out here in Cali, the cops are cracking down and popping hoods. You don't have a carb #, you get sent to the ref. And for those who think Drag is so much better than Greddy, you obviously haven't seen any Greddy GSR dyno charts. They come heavily detuned with only a 2" downpipe, and a restrictor plate in the intake pipe. I've seen a GSR at 8psi on a Greddy kit put down 274 to the ground. Not to mention the kit is a much higher quality than the drag, and still legal in Cali.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i live in cali so cops are pretty ruff on mods. having a legal turbo kit would be nice. i know the drag turbo kit whoops *** but would it be possible to see maybe 250 whp with the legal greddy kit? on a stock engine?
i highley doubt that you would see those kind of numbers.

Rob
Old 08-16-2002, 01:36 AM
New User

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (dubster99)

And for those who think Drag is so much better than Greddy, you obviously haven't seen any Greddy GSR dyno charts. They come heavily detuned with only a 2" downpipe, and a restrictor plate in the intake pipe. I've seen a GSR at 8psi on a Greddy kit put down 274 to the ground. Not to mention the kit is a much higher quality than the drag, and still legal in Cali.
PWAHAHAHAH! youre kiddin, rite? you really think a GSR "heavily detuned at 8psi with only a 2" downpipe, and a restrictor plate in the intake pipe" can put 274 to the ground? geez, man... even if a GSR with a greddy kit made that much horsepower.. it wouldnt be with no 2" downpipe and restrictor plate! modifying any of those parts would make it ILLEGAL.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:42 AM

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (rjardy)

ok, so anyone with a greddy kit for a LS, what kind of numbers are you putting down to the wheels? and what psi you running at? staying legal in cali is important. kinda sux if you have to yank out a drag turbo and pay a fine just to have it put back in and out again if trouble occurs. $$$ either way really.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so anyone with a greddy kit for a LS, what kind of numbers are you putting down to the wheels? and what psi you running at? staying legal in cali is important. kinda sux if you have to yank out a drag turbo and pay a fine just to have it put back in and out again if trouble occurs. $$$ either way really.
you dont have to yank it you just have to have a few extra benjamins to make you pass the visual!!

Rob
Old 08-16-2002, 02:37 AM

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (rjardy)

money can do lots of things, too bad i dont have any.

[Modified by deviant1, 3:37 AM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

money can do lots of things, too bad i dont have any.
OWNED!

[Modified by blufke, 12:25 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much power can the legal LS greddy turbo kit put out? how high can it be boosted? is the kit safe enough to run on a stock LS engine for say, a year or more? one more question. will the kit work in a hatch with LS engine? TIA
hum... I'll take a shot at it since I like the greddy kit.
stock LS(except for i/e/fpr)
Done with hondata and great tunner
7.5psi between 160-170hp to the wheel
10psi maybe between 220-250hp to the wheels. (but drag could easly make this at a mere 8psi)
hey but i'm just takeing a guess here since no one else is.
I agree with you in the part about haveing a kit that is street legal. The smaller greddy kit spools faster(reaches full spool at about 3200-3400rpm) I also prefer the kit over DragIII becasue it's probably a lot easyer for you to install yourself, with the DragIII theres more modification to the kit that you have to do. If your new with turbo stick with the greddy kit. But as you learn more turbos, you'll see that the true power will start with a t3t4 type of turbo(dragIII, rev-hard, f-max, ect...)
Old 08-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (dlplayboy)

No this was with an upgraded downpipe, and removed plate. And no, I'm not kidding, that was his actual number.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No this was with an upgraded downpipe, and removed plate. And no, I'm not kidding, that was his actual number.

funny funny, most gsr dyno charts ive seen put out 225 at around 7 psi, which is what i made on my baseline run in an LS. Charlie, geez. You still favor greddy? i told you i had no fitment problems what so ever. But your right. everyone knows greddy, so the kids that dont know much about turbos would want a greddy kit, but they usually end up kicking themselves when a guy like me smokes them with a bigger turbo. infact, i even made a kid sell his greddy kit and upgrade to a t3/t4. but if you must stay carb legal.....greddy puts out power and is a decent kit, just doesnt put out as much. hehe.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Installation really isnt that bad people. It just takes time, I did it at my apartment at UF with simple hand tools. Install it yourself. But someone correct me if im wrong, i believe you have to have an authorized greddy dealer in order to get the carb legal ****. Thats for sure gonna cost you. Put it this way, i was on my way with my brand new drag 3 kit, with missing link, greddy turbo timer, apexi egt and boost gauge, ss return line w/ earl fittings for about 3100 and yes those apexi gauges are expensive. And like i said before, I didnt have any fitment problems, its my every day car, no reliabity problems, for probably way less then what you will pay for the greddy with intercooler.....not to mention the extra power. oh and full boost at 3800rpm....not bad....especially with only an 2.25 inch catback.

EDIT: Charlie this is somewhat directed to your questions that you asked me as well. If you have any other questions, hit me up again.

[Modified by CDooMe2, 9:18 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 10:55 PM
New User

well, in that case... the Greddy kit no longer legal. i still highly doubt those hp #s.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:28 AM

you have to get the carb stuff separately? and it costs $ to get it? wouldnt it come with the turbo kit like it does with AEM CAIs? believe me, i would take a drag 3 kit anyday over the greddy kit but i live in cali and the cops arent too nice to imports. greddy is legal in cali with the carb stuff. question: if you have a drag kit and get pulled over, and the cop checks under the hood, what happens when you have no carb stickers? excuse me for being lame but from that mtv show, that cop said "if it doesnt have a carb sticker, its illegal." now, if he sends you to the ref, do they just check to see if you pass a smog test or do they just look at it and say "take it all out"? i just wanna know what happens if you get busted with a illegal turbo and stuff. anyone from cali experience this?
Old 08-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CARB numbers/stickers will come with the Greddy kit. If you have an illegal turbo in cali, one with no carb # ie drag, revhard, custom kit, and you get pulled over they will send you to the state ref. So you have to take it all out, and put stock stuff back on since it doesn't have a carb #. Then they will inspect everything, and put you on the rollers.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:16 PM

I think something that isn't seeming to be addresed here alot is that greddy carb legal = no bov, and no intercooler. OUCH!!! Thats gonna be bad on your turbo and engine especially if you are thinking of turning up the boost and trying to get 250 whp. So we are talking around 10 lbs minimum to get those numbers and with no FMIC or BOV at those boost levels.....I just don't think it could happen w/o extreme fuel managment/extensive tuning. Like the guy says he doesn't have money and thats gonna cost multiple thousands.

So over all, if you are truly bent on being 100% legal (which I think I would feel the same as you if I lived in cali) don't expect astronomical gains. I'd say with no intercooler or bov, you couldn't run safely (on your low budget) more than 8 lbs. Yes, that is going to be much more fun than stock, and you could always add everything else (big cat back exaust, hi-flow cat, good exaust manifold with external wastegate and nice EBC) down the road to get more power, but I don't think you will be seeing 250 whp any time soon.

anyway, good luck, and have fun

[Modified by hybridcrx, 9:17 PM 8/19/2002]
Old 08-19-2002, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (hybridcrx)

i saw a hatch with a b18b and greddy kit run a 15.3 best....he didnt have an IC or BOV, just the basic kit however. hows is that for a waste of money.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:46 PM
B18C-EJ1

PWAHAHAHAH! youre kiddin, rite? you really think a GSR "heavily detuned at 8psi with only a 2" downpipe, and a restrictor plate in the intake pipe" can put 274 to the ground? geez, man... even if a GSR with a greddy kit made that much horsepower.. it wouldnt be with no 2" downpipe and restrictor plate! modifying any of those parts would make it ILLEGAL.
I actually saw a GReddy turbo'd GSR, bone stock internals, removed restrictor plate, 2.5" down pipe (still using internal wastegate), to a 3" random cat, APEX'i N1, hondata tuned on 10PSI push 282 WHP.

True, removing the restrictor plate is not legal, and changing the downpipe is not legal too, BUT, if you do it right, the smog station will have no reason to think it's modified, and thus will NOT look for anything.

YES, the car passed smog too, at 6psi.

Cliff notes - If you got the time, money, and desire, anything is possible.

[Modified by B18C-EJ1, 2:47 PM 8/19/2002]
Old 08-19-2002, 01:48 PM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (CDooMe2)

i saw a hatch with a b18b and greddy kit run a 15.3 best....he didnt have an IC or BOV, just the basic kit however. hows is that for a waste of money.
I think that's a seriously bad driver, or a poorly tuned car.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:54 PM
New User

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (B18C-EJ1)

I actually saw a GReddy turbo'd GSR, bone stock internals, removed restrictor plate, 2.5" down pipe (still using internal wastegate), to a 3" random cat, APEX'i N1, hondata tuned on 10PSI push 282 WHP.

True, removing the restrictor plate is not legal, and changing the downpipe is not legal too, BUT, if you do it right, the smog station will have no reason to think it's modified, and thus will NOT look for anything.

YES, the car passed smog too, at 6psi.

Cliff notes - If you got the time, money, and desire, anything is possible.

[Modified by B18C-EJ1, 2:47 PM 8/19/2002]
NOTE TO SELF: what you are talkin about is an entirely different thing.

Hondata? tuning? removing parts that make Greddy a legal kit? i somewhat agree that a gsr can push that much power with a GReddy kit... but at 10psi, a gsr can put out much more power with a DRAG or REVHARD kit and a tuned Hondata. also keep in mind, the turbo cannot put out as much power as a t3/t4. smog stations usually now what to look for... if they dont, then they are idiots.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:58 PM
B18C-EJ1

NOTE TO SELF: what you are talkin about is an entirely different thing.

Hondata? tuning? removing parts that make Greddy a legal kit? i somewhat agree that a gsr can push that much power with a GReddy kit... but at 10psi, a gsr can put out much more power with a DRAG or REVHARD kit and a tuned Hondata. also keep in mind, the turbo cannot put out as much power as a t3/t4. smog stations usually now what to look for... if they dont, then they are idiots.
Is it so different? You're still using a GReddy kit. Smog stations are not in the business of taking apart your car to smog it. True you can get more power from a T3/4 hybrid turbo, but then you're definately NOT legal.

Smog stations do one thing. SMOG cars. SMOG Ref's are the ones who KNOW what to look for, and those are the people you have to look out for.

If you don't give them a reason to suspect you, then there is no problem
Old 08-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS greddy turbo kit (B18C-EJ1)

Smog stations do one thing. SMOG cars. SMOG Ref's are the ones who KNOW what to look for, and those are the people you have to look out for.

If you don't give them a reason to suspect you, then there is no problem
Yup, I got my car smog tested and never had to open the hood or anything. I'm not turbo yet, but there is no way that they could have known. My car is modified with a full kit, exhaust, etc... I'm sure cali is a lot worse than WA, but up here it seems pretty damn lax.. I went to the smog station in Tacoma in the Nalley Valley area if anyone wants to know

Quick Reply: LS greddy turbo kit