Notices

Looking for feedback on intercooler sprayers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on intercooler sprayers

As the title says.. Anyone here use an intercooler sprayer? If so, any input? Was it homemade or a bought kit? Summer is coming up and today I saw my highest IAT readings yet. They were well into the hundo zone. Nope, nope, nope. This **** ain't gonna happen. It gets pretty hot where I am and it may not be Death Valley temps, but I don't wanna be worried about intake temps in the hundred+ range. I got to looking into intercooler sprayers and I also don't have ANY motivation whatsoever to spend that kinda cash when I can easily fab something up that'll do the job. So.. If you use one or have used one, I'd like to hear your feedback on them.
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Looking for feedback on intercooler sprayers

Originally Posted by Txdragon
As the title says.. Anyone here use an intercooler sprayer? If so, any input? Was it homemade or a bought kit? Summer is coming up and today I saw my highest IAT readings yet. They were well into the hundo zone. Nope, nope, nope. This **** ain't gonna happen. It gets pretty hot where I am and it may not be Death Valley temps, but I don't wanna be worried about intake temps in the hundred+ range. I got to looking into intercooler sprayers and I also don't have ANY motivation whatsoever to spend that kinda cash when I can easily fab something up that'll do the job. So.. If you use one or have used one, I'd like to hear your feedback on them.
Thanks in advance!
100+ is totally normal. My temps have always been 110-120 typical in the summer time.

Obviously less is more but I wouldnt go nuts about it.

You could easily hook up your windshield washer fluid sprayers to the IC, or go to the junkyard and get another set.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
100+ is totally normal. My temps have always been 110-120 typical in the summer time.

Obviously less is more but I wouldnt go nuts about it.

You could easily hook up your windshield washer fluid sprayers to the IC, or go to the junkyard and get another set.
Yeah, I was thinking of a setup just like that. Just reroute my windshield washer to some sprayers mounted in front of the IC, Thinking that normal ranges for hot weather would approach the 120's pretty easy. I like my cool air though lol. It's really not expensive to pull off, just wondered if anyone may actually use them.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You're not going to get much cooler than that without actually changing the cooler itself, eventually. (Bell, Garrett, ETS, etc).

But I did hook up sprayers by using a secondary nozzle sprayer to the back of the intercooler, for some time attack days (I run a 800hp Garrett Core). My friend did the actual wiring so that the rear wiper sprayer (Integra) now works as the intercooler sprayer.
It really doesn't help that much except for temporary relief after a hard session.

100-130*F is normal even with a sprayer. You're not going to get 80* and less IATs for a street car. You're fine at the 100-130, and should be fortunate that it's not worse.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:24 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I don’t see it being worth the effort. If your IAT’s are truly getting too high (140+) then you either need a better intercooler or more air flow to it.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

If you really want IAT reduction look into running water/meth injection. Even running a small jet size like 250cc or similar you will see big reductions in IATs while in boost. Currently I'm using a 250cc jet and log 90-100F IATs(or less, depending on speed/airflow to intercooler) on a hot, humid(90F+) summer day. I have run up to 500cc in the past with great results as well. It's neat to watch in the logs. If you're cruising and give it just enough throttle to kick the pump in you can watch your IATs literally plummet.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You're not going to get much cooler than that without actually changing the cooler itself, eventually. (Bell, Garrett, ETS, etc).

But I did hook up sprayers by using a secondary nozzle sprayer to the back of the intercooler, for some time attack days (I run a 800hp Garrett Core). My friend did the actual wiring so that the rear wiper sprayer (Integra) now works as the intercooler sprayer.
It really doesn't help that much except for temporary relief after a hard session.

100-130*F is normal even with a sprayer. You're not going to get 80* and less IATs for a street car. You're fine at the 100-130, and should be fortunate that it's not worse.
I am looking at other IC options currently. I think I found the end of the road for this CX racing unit. I am about halfway through my tune with phearable and the car feels like it's being held back. Feels REALLY good when boost begins, but sluggish on the top end when it's registering highest. I am set at 12.5 psi and see an occasional spike to 13. I suppose even the Hallman MBC is prone to the boost spikes. The GOOD side is that boost is pretty stable for the most part. Nice, even climb and plateau. Only thing that would make sense to me now is at my current peak boost, the IC flow is faultering. Thoughts?

For the sprayer, I did a little test today with my water hose lol. I just came back from a datalog session and sprayed the IC down with the mist nozzle for the garden. IAT was registering 105 when I pulled into my driveway and 130 when I left (good ol' heatsoak). As I got about a mile down the road, temps had dropped into mid 80's, outside temp at that time was 88. That is a considerable drop. Prior runs throughout the day, IAT would drop down to high 90's, low 100's without spraying.

Originally Posted by 2x0
I don’t see it being worth the effort. If your IAT’s are truly getting too high (140+) then you either need a better intercooler or more air flow to it.
But.. I'm cheap!! lol Really, it's got great airflow where it sits. I won't argue with the idea of maybe needing a new one, primarily for reasons I mentioned above

Originally Posted by Aradin
If you really want IAT reduction look into running water/meth injection. Even running a small jet size like 250cc or similar you will see big reductions in IATs while in boost. Currently I'm using a 250cc jet and log 90-100F IATs(or less, depending on speed/airflow to intercooler) on a hot, humid(90F+) summer day. I have run up to 500cc in the past with great results as well. It's neat to watch in the logs. If you're cruising and give it just enough throttle to kick the pump in you can watch your IATs literally plummet.
This may not be AS effective as water/meth injection, but a great alternative that is seemingly budget-friendly. 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing! I've personally seen temps drop by 40 degrees today with a simple water spray. Water/meth is like shooting a mouse with a shotgun. My way of thinking is that particular method would be better suited to a track car and though effective, extremely excessive for a street car.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM

I am looking at other IC options currently. I think I found the end of the road for this CX racing unit. I am about halfway through my tune with phearable and the car feels like it's being held back. Feels REALLY good when boost begins, but sluggish on the top end when it's registering highest. I am set at 12.5 psi and see an occasional spike to 13. I suppose even the Hallman MBC is prone to the boost spikes. The GOOD side is that boost is pretty stable for the most part. Nice, even climb and plateau. Only thing that would make sense to me now is at my current peak boost, the IC flow is faultering. Thoughts?
That Hallman is a bleed style ball & spring.. It can't create boost spikes, sir.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That Hallman is a bleed style ball & spring.. It can't create boost spikes, sir.
What's causing them? They are occasional. Not super frequent, but certainly existent. More than once a day. I actually logged 3 today.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:21 PM

What's causing them? They are occasional. Not super frequent, but certainly existent. More than once a day. I actually logged 3 today.
Ignition... Read up on bleed style manual boost controllers.. You'll know what I mean as to why it doesn't happen in those
Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the Hallman works great for what it is. I get some creep with it but that is due to wastegate placement and size I presume. Never any significant jumps.

What turbo are you running again? Just wondering, you say power seems flat up top, and IAT’s get high, if you are not running within it’s most efficient range. I know I had mine at 12ish psi for a while and it was kind of meh up top too, but at 16-17psi it really sings bc that’s where the turbo performs at it’s best.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignition... Read up on bleed style manual boost controllers.. You'll know what I mean as to why it doesn't happen in those
ok. I got it now.. Mechanically: boost pressure through the inlet port pushes the ball against the spring until such time as it closes the port venting the excess pressure, thus sending it through the outgoing port to open the wg? Turning the **** adjusts essentially how much air is getting bled off; kinda like closing a window? The stronger the spring, the more boost it takes to push the ball to the top, the lighter, the easier.
Or have I not drank enough this evening?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Yeah the Hallman works great for what it is. I get some creep with it but that is due to wastegate placement and size I presume. Never any significant jumps.

What turbo are you running again? Just wondering, you say power seems flat up top, and IAT’s get high, if you are not running within it’s most efficient range. I know I had mine at 12ish psi for a while and it was kind of meh up top too, but at 16-17psi it really sings bc that’s where the turbo performs at it’s best.
I've looked over my engine bay and see that I could certainly shorten my WG line. It's only a half psi spike also, I don't think I should worry. (I feel weird saying that). If it were several lbs, I'd probably **** a brick. Boost is pretty smooth as it builds up and maxes. Nice even line throughout.

The turbo is from CX racing. It has been determined it may be a copy from an older Garrett 60 trim. TheShodan knows more of the tech specs. It starts spooling about 4500 and really digs in around 5500-5800.

I **may** crank it to 14 and see how it feels, but I see your point on the efficiency deal.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would start with a better IC core. But at 14psi you really shouldn't be pushing it unless its a small core.

Tread-stone makes a good middle of the road intercooler core and they've gotten better overtime from what I've seen.

Garrett makes some real nice ones but you're going to pay probably double for those.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I would start with a better IC core. But at 14psi you really shouldn't be pushing it unless its a small core.

Tread-stone makes a good middle of the road intercooler core and they've gotten better overtime from what I've seen.

Garrett makes some real nice ones but you're going to pay probably double for those.
It may be restrictive, it may not. I'm still in the tuning process and we may just need to start tweaking the timing a bit. **shrug** As for the IC, I am twiddling back and forth between Vibrant and Mishimoto currently. Price points seem pretty close, from what I've seen, and both are supposed to be pretty good for the price vs some random ebay crap or a top shelf item like Garrett, etc..
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I wouldn't advise using unfiltered water anywhere in the car, including as a spray.

Better IC core as stated is the best and most proper fix. Alcohol/Water/Meth injection immediately after the intercooler on the cold side pipe would be the best place for proper installation, not pre-intercooler. Water will help lower IAT more than alcohol or meth.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I wouldn't advise using unfiltered water anywhere in the car, including as a spray.

Better IC core as stated is the best and most proper fix. Alcohol/Water/Meth injection immediately after the intercooler on the cold side pipe would be the best place for proper installation, not pre-intercooler. Water will help lower IAT more than alcohol or meth.
Yessir, you read it wrong. I'm talking about spraying the outside of the intercooler. Evaporative cooling effect. Not adding anything in the engine, just to clarify.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Yessir, you read it wrong. I'm talking about spraying the outside of the intercooler. Evaporative cooling effect. Not adding anything in the engine, just to clarify.
Ah. Well disregard everything I said then lol.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 AM

It may be restrictive, it may not. I'm still in the tuning process and we may just need to start tweaking the timing a bit. **shrug** As for the IC, I am twiddling back and forth between Vibrant and Mishimoto currently. Price points seem pretty close, from what I've seen, and both are supposed to be pretty good for the price vs some random ebay crap or a top shelf item like Garrett, etc..
6 of one, half-dozen of the other when it comes to those two companies for intercooler. See the intercooler sticky at the top of the FI thread to see what I'm getting at..
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would see it work if you have the water tank in the trunk.
Other than that you have to spray and wait it to evap to cool down the surface.
Id use 2-3-4 VERY fine big degree nozles for making this process quicker.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
I would see it work if you have the water tank in the trunk.
Other than that you have to spray and wait it to evap to cool down the surface.
Id use 2-3-4 VERY fine big degree nozles for making this process quicker.
If I dropped some ice into the washer bottle for the trip. I'm sure on a hot day it won't last too long, but it'll still be nice and cool for a bit. Spraying on the highway, the evap process would take place even faster.

On the whole idea of upgrading to a more efficient IC; something like a sprayer would work for both, regardless of its cooling efficiency. Obviously, results would vary based solely on that efficiency, but still.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If your cooler is untouchably hot itsprobably because of radiated heat. Is everything heat wrapped?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:15 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

If I dropped some ice into the washer bottle for the trip. I'm sure on a hot day it won't last too long, but it'll still be nice and cool for a bit. Spraying on the highway, the evap process would take place even faster.

On the whole idea of upgrading to a more efficient IC; something like a sprayer would work for both, regardless of its cooling efficiency. Obviously, results would vary based solely on that efficiency, but still.
But the whole idea of a sprayer is just a bandaid and not addressing the root cause of the problem. A problem which, it doesn't even sound like you really have, because your IAT's are normal....

Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
If your cooler is untouchably hot itsprobably because of radiated heat. Is everything heat wrapped?
It's not untouchable or anything. It gets fairly warm, yeah. The DP is right behind it, but meh. I haven't heat wrapped anything yet, but it is on my to-do list!

Originally Posted by 2x0
But the whole idea of a sprayer is just a bandaid and not addressing the root cause of the problem. A problem which, it doesn't even sound like you really have, because your IAT's are normal....

I'm realizing now the IAT is within an acceptable range. I've owned 3 turbo vehicles in my lifetime, 2 of which I did not have any form of data-viewing software on. The first was an 89 probe gt, next was a fully built badass of a CA18DET swapped 240sx BUT, that was tuned by Jim Wolf Technology and I didn't monitor that in any way, and finally, the little EG that could lol

I'm trying to imagine how a larger core IC will cool better if the fact that no more surface area would be exposed to the incoming air.

Older pic, but this is where it sits. Good exposure within the ridiculous bumper. **shrug** Anything larger would be covered more by the bumper. I AM planning on another IC anyways, but i'm just trying to imagine how it'll be cooler. (not that IAT is a big problem, as pointed out lol)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I've run a few intercoolers over time and will say Garrett has some nice cores but they will cost you. I've also ran treadstone intercoolers and those have worked just fine for me and would have no problem in recommending those.

However I am currently using a 6 inch thick Vibrant Intercooler core with custom end tanks and have not had any issues at all. Now if you are looking a good middle ground intercooler that works good Treadstone does make some good stuff but then again I have no issues with vibrant either. If you have a good amount of money go with Garrett.

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on intercooler sprayers