Notices

Lots of turbo questions...(need help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of turbo questions...(need help)

Alright guys heres the deal. Been doing alot of turbo related searching because I plan on boosting my car over the winter. All i want to do is run on stock internals for the first year(i have a b16) and i have purchased a b18 dartblock that I will be building over time. So heres my questions. The car will be driven on the streets for the first year but I will be spending alot of time at the track. Its hard to learn about what trim size i want. I know i want the max hp and speed so i will want a bigger turbo right. because a smaller one will have a faster spooling time therefore more torque? Now if i go with alittle bigger turbo is there anything I can do to get alittle more kick off the bottom end to help it spool faster? What trim size and housing would you personnal recommend for my applicaton?

Next question: I've read that divided turbo housings are better? is this true? now I was thinking about getting a Cast log mani because I hear rumours of the welded tubular one cracking alot... so what do you guys think i should go with from your experiences...?

Now when it comes to blow off valve, waste gate, boost controller....what name brands should I be looking torwards? Dont want to buy something shitty that wont last. Rather spend the money and get good quality products...?

Now on my b18 i plan on making 650 hp plus so I'll be asking you guys questions later on down the road about that. But on my b16 what cc injectors would you suggest..?most common looks like 440 cc to me. On my b16 on stock internals I would like to reach the 300whp mark. Would you also suggest a headspacer or thick gasket to lower compression so I could run more boost or that wouldnt benefit me at all..?

Any info would be much appretiated... Thanks alot.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lots of turbo questions...(need help) (civic_66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now when it comes to blow off valve, waste gate, boost controller....what name brands should I be looking torwards? Dont want to buy something shitty that wont last. Rather spend the money and get good quality products...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tial
Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Lots of turbo questions...(need help) (90blackcrx)

ssauto
Old 12-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Lots of turbo questions...(need help) (anusol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anusol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ssauto</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha

get a ccfab manifold, mine has held up for a good 15k miles

dont get a cast log manifold, please. equal length and other tubular designs are way too easy to come by today to get a cast log.

tial makes a good wastegate.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 PM

alright thanks. Yeah i've had alot of guys tell me tial for the bov and wastegate and all. So I'm better off going with the tubular. I dont get it besides the designs whats the differene between the two?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: (civic_66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright thanks. Yeah i've had alot of guys tell me tial for the bov and wastegate and all. So I'm better off going with the tubular. I dont get it besides the designs whats the differene between the two?</TD></TR></TABLE>

cast manifolds dont flow very well. it would work great for your b16 but not for your 600+ setup. why buy parts twice. as long as a steel manifold is fabricated properly it should last, many companies offer lifetime warranties against cracking. its the cheap ebay ones that crack often.

and again for your injectors why buy twice get some 1000cc injectors now so u dont need new ones for your later build.

divided manifolds are great, but i would decide on a definate hp goal and find out your turbo choice before deciding on a manifold. not all turbos offer divided housing.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:30 AM

Thanks. Yeah it makes sense not to buy the parts twice. However on my second build my horsepower goal will be about 600whp+ and i know I will need a big turbo for that. Now heres the tricky part. If i buy a big turbo for my b16 build it will have alot of lag...so basically I'm going to have to get two different turbo's wont I? What do you think I should do? Or should I go with a GT35R?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks. Yeah it makes sense not to buy the parts twice. However on my second build my horsepower goal will be about 600whp+ and i know I will need a big turbo for that. Now heres the tricky part. If i buy a big turbo for my b16 build it will have alot of lag...so basically I'm going to have to get two different turbo's wont I? What do you think I should do? Or should I go with a GT35R?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if u get a good setup u could make it work now. problem is even on low boost that turbo would probly make too much power for stock block.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:57 AM

Default Re: (hybrdthry911)

oh really....:S what you think i should do then..? I'd hate to buy a turbo twice. Also trim. What trim should i be looking at? .60?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh really....:S what you think i should do then..? I'd hate to buy a turbo twice. Also trim. What trim should i be looking at? .60? </TD></TR></TABLE>

u dont have a choice on trims for the 35r's. if your talking about the compressor a/r go with the .70, and likely a .82 a/r on the hot side.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (hybrdthry911)

do you think the gt35r will be too much for my stock b16?