Notices

Losing water with my turbo teg

Old 06-27-2015, 06:19 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing water with my turbo teg

Disclaimer
I know this forum is for turbo issues and information. But I know this community has a extensive amount of knowledge and i would like to get some help.

Long story short, I blew my original 95 gsr turbo motor when I was hanging out with Turbo-LS (yeah I put your name in this justin).

Current:
I have a 96+ gsr erl sleeved block (purchased from my tuner that he had for a few years bnib that laskey racing assembled and I have fully built head with pnp. Laskey mentioned that the sleeves where stand a little higher than what they feel comfortable with. I told them to do what you have to do to make it right, in which they went ahead and completed the build with the piston and rod setup. They also tested the sleeves by place a head on the block then placing it in an oven to check if the sleeves dropped. Everything turned out good.

Got it back and assembled the rest of the motor and got it tuned to drive but not a all out tune because I wasn't present.

I've been losing water and it wasn't going outside the block and I couldn't see it in the oil. I reviewed my video clips of me assembling the motor and noticed I wasn't getting a solid torque when torquing the head to the block, it was a engine stand. Removed the head had it checked by a local machine shop, that I trust, everything was good. Reinstalled the head to the block, this time i had the motor in the vehicle and I used a mechanical torque versus a digital wrench. Torque the head down to 80ft in 3 steps with a new golden eagle advance head gasket. Still losing water...

When I removed the head the first time I noticed that there was water on the #4 piston and there was water coming out of the #4 intake runner as well. Water doesn't come out in a upstream fashion and that's where I'm confused at.

I haven't removed the head since I last installed it but the water lose is the same. So I assume it's in the same area. What could be happening?

Engine specs:
Gsr fully built head
96+ gsr block 84mm cp pistons with turbo tuff rods
95 water pipe (couldn't located a 96+ water pipe.)
Predator turbo
Ramhorn manifold
Blox 70mm throttle body with a thermal gasket. Same style as the golden eagle intake manifold gasket.
Victor x manifold

I think the throttle body gasket may have failed but I'm not real sure. A friend of mine thinks the iacv may be bad but I'm not real sure about that either. Any help would be great since my car been sitting in my garage since October of last year.
(I didn't proof read this as of yet because I'm typing this on my phone.)
Old 06-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Losing water with my turbo teg

sounds like the intake gasket. right by #4 is a water port
Old 06-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Losing water with my turbo teg

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
sounds like the intake gasket. right by #4 is a water port
Yea i would check that or the coolant passage right there on the intake manifold it could be leaking, some honda bond before install is always a good idea over the gasket, that or you routed your coolant hose into the head, iv sean it happen before.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys blows his motor because of stock valve train keeps blaming me cause I was at the track that night LOL. Thanks buddy thought we were brothers from another mother. Could be intake gasket. What are you using stock or Hondata style
Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Guys blows his motor because of stock valve train keeps blaming me cause I was at the track that night LOL. Thanks buddy thought we were brothers from another mother. Could be intake gasket. What are you using stock or Hondata style
Lmao! Bros always have to bust each other up every now and then.

It's a golden eagle intake manifold gasket. I have a stock one never used laying around somewhere.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Put a very thin layer of rtv both sides of gasket around the water port area see if that works.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Put a very thin layer of rtv both sides of gasket around the water port area see if that works.
Definitely do this if its not already done.

does the #4 piston look cleaner than the others on the top with less carbon buildup?

when you did the headstuds, was your 3rd step a bigger increase in torque than the first 2 steps. I used to have issues like this when i would do 25-60-80 ftlbs. I switched to 25-50-80 and its been good
Old 06-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure your O-rings on your water pipe aren't leaking (water pipe going into block and thermo housing). This happened to me a few years ago, did hg twice and it ended up being the one water pipe O-ring. couldn't see the leak, must have been burning/evaporating off the block... I've had that port on the intake gasket leak also, but you could see it running down the head/block.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by blackeg
Definitely do this if its not already done.

does the #4 piston look cleaner than the others on the top with less carbon buildup?

when you did the headstuds, was your 3rd step a bigger increase in torque than the first 2 steps. I used to have issues like this when i would do 25-60-80 ftlbs. I switched to 25-50-80 and its been good
The piston did, iirc I'll have to look at the video if I have that. But there was water on top of it for sure. As far as the torque value per step, I really don't remember the exact numbers for steps one and two. I think it might have been 25-50-78-80. The third step I did at 78 because I wanted to make sure the joints could hold. I thought the number 8 head bolt joint might have been weak. Since it held at 78flbs I went ahead and brought it up to 80ftlbs. After that I went back around and checked my work.

I'll do the rtv seal hopefully today to allow it to dry over night.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a coolant pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system and listen for air or where coolant is pouring out.