Notices

Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped!

The situation is, when Im driving normally, then decelerate and come to a stop, the car surges, then drops idle. It is real loppy also, almost like I have some serious cams. There is practially no pedal response. As I manage to crawl into a parking lot, the power kicks back in, like instantly - even though I have the same pressure on the gas pedal.

It doesnt do this everytime, but has happened 3 times in the past 2 days.

The car was sitting previously all winter, but has been through a tank of gas since then, so Im pretty sure its not old gas.

Its been 490 miles since the recent break in, and drives great other wise, boosts, etc.

Any inputs?

I checked the wires at the ECU and everything else, but it seems to be okay.

I cant figure it out

And I wasnt sure if this should be in FI, or tech. Sorry if I posted it in the wrong forum
Old 04-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (SpeedingHatch)

ANyone?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (SpeedingHatch)

chek your map sensor.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 PM

Also check your tps... maybe it has a bad spot or ground.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (turtle-eg)

is there a possibility you are running too rich and bogging the motor?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">chek your map sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everything seems okay. Thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turtle-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also check your tps... maybe it has a bad spot or ground.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did that too. Looks pretty good. Thanks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there a possibility you are running too rich and bogging the motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also thought that could be a possibility. Im going to be dynoing+ tuning on Saturday,so I guess we'll see what the AF is like.

But I have been driving it all day, with a video camera mounted in it to try and demonstrate what its like - but it hasnt happened. Maybe it was just a 1 day fluke, at least I hope so

Thanks for the help though, appreciate it!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like it may be lean at idle or in and around there, which is causing it to cam. I know its happened to a few cars that have upgraded injectors and not had the fuel curve fully tuned to compensate for the longer pulse needed to idle the car with bigger injectors.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (seen4ever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like it may be lean at idle or in and around there, which is causing it to cam. I know its happened to a few cars that have upgraded injectors and not had the fuel curve fully tuned to compensate for the longer pulse needed to idle the car with bigger injectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, you may have something there. Because if the idle is being gay, and I press on the gas (while at a stand still), the revs go up and back to normal, and drives fine.

But if it sputters while rolling at like 5 mph, and Im in 1st, I try to gas it, it doesnt accelerate no matter how hard im on it.

What originally got my attention was a few days ago, when I would be stopped, and the exhaust would "pop", not anything crazy, but noticeable. But It was only at idle.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedingHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What originally got my attention was a few days ago, when I would be stopped, and the exhaust would "pop", not anything crazy, but noticeable. But It was only at idle.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

residual unburned fuel combusting after the motor?? kinda like a very small backfire. does it break up during normal driving?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds lean at idle to me... or really rich. You should be able to tell by pulling the plugs.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (dustin)

the pop is a rich pop, from running too rich during partial trottle, then when you let off the gas, the injectors turn off for an instance so if there was too much unburned fuel, it will pop when you let off the gas.

i had a car do that once while tuning, the TPS sensor had a bad ground, every time he let off instead of going to 0%, it would shoot to 100% for a millasecond then to normal, caused nasty pops.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (seen4ever)

thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it because its really gay

Hopefully tuning this sucker will help.

But Ill check the plugs, TPS ground - again
Old 04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Trial User

Sorry for the double post, but after I checked the TPS sensor and everything, I took it for one more spin with the video camera to see if I could get it, sure enough, it happened.

Here's what Im talking about:

http://www2.wnydsm.com/members...e.wmv

Notice, when Im saying I cant acclerate, Im pushing the gas pedal down more

This is the worst one yet, so I dont think ill be driving it anymore until tuning, if I even get that far
Old 04-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like to see your AFRs... but it acts like an ignition issue to me. Have you checked your ignitor? All the cars I have been in w/ bad ignitor act exactly like yours.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was dying at idle, it was on a friends map, i have 880cc injectors. You couldnt predicite when it would happen. It would just do it randomly but only when at a complete stop. Now the car is street tuned and it hasnt done it since , I think you just need to be tuned man.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM

maybe your partial throttle needs to be tuned
Old 04-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loppy idle, wants to stall - this really has me stumped! (RotiEatter)

Just randomly cutting out w/ the same amount of throttle smells like ignition to me though.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Trial User

Would it help to say that its gotten progressively worse, like from the popping at idle to the irradication of the idle and bogging?

Or is that a sign that my ignition is poopy.

Because it drove fine for a few days, then the popping, then the idle, and then everything. And it was rare that it happened, and now its everytime I drive it around the block
Old 04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Trial User

Sorry to bump this yet again, but finally got "tuned" and solved the problem.

After making a good WOT pass, and making some good power, the irradication of the idle started happening. So we tossed in a new ignitor and new plugs. That seemed to be the problem considering my basemap had me running right we I should be.

So in the end, the problem was the ignitor as dustin said.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:13 PM

my car does similar things and i'm running 750 cc injectors with a light tune waiting on a full tune.