Notices

Looking to turbo my D16Z6 (NEED HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to turbo my D16Z6 (NEED HELP!)

Okay, please guys, I was trying to read through the posts here and got lost, so I figured that I would just right up and ask.

I have a 91 Civic (well, its actually got a 93 Teg front end on it now, and teg dash and tails) but, I had chewed the factory D15B apart after switching it to dual point last year.

I was able to get my hands on a dealer maintained D16Z6 out of a 93 Civic Si. The motor has tested good for compression, and had no severe blow by (I knew the car I got the motor out of and it runs like a champ).

I've just go the car switched over to OBD-1. This took a lot of wiring and props go out to the boys at the ZC-Resource for all the help getting it done. I'm running the P28 Computer on the motor, and it works flawless as of now (knock on wood!).

I wanna make my next step turbo. I've done some looking into building the bottom end up, eagle rods, coated pistons, total seal piston rings, a nice head gasket, and maybe a good set of valve springs (this is if I intend to go crazy with the boost).

The place where I am caught up in is the fuel management and getting this thing (a turbo) to work on the car. . . I have a couple turbo's kicking around (MHI TE04H, MHI TD05H and a MHI T25 all with minimul shaft play) and an STD manifold and have already fabricated a down pipe, and fitted the turbo.

I just want to know what I need to do to run this thing properly on the car. Any modifacations to the fuel system? Fuel pressure regulator? Injectors? Fuel lines? Fuel pump?

What about the computer? Can I get by with a VFAC (or whatever the apexi things are?) and a couple guys have mentioned an FMU to me, what are they? And what is this missing link thing that you guys keep talking about?!

Any input that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, I reeeeally wanna go turbo in my car, but I am pretty much lost when it comes to the fuel management.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

(BTW, the motor is stock now. . . after I get a fuel management worked out, and I feel confident with my setup, I'll probably haul the motor and build it tougher).
Old 07-25-2003, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Looking to turbo my D16Z6 (ASMD)

Your best thing to do would be to buy hondata, larger injectors, walbro fuel pump, and get it tuned.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking to turbo my D16Z6 (ASMD)

Alright, these are popular opinions on here; Total seal rings:crap, valve springs: unnecessary unless you are revving past 8krpm or so, FMU: crap, VAFC: decent for boost. Get a standalone or start modding your ecu; http://www.pgmfi.org