Notices

Looking for a reason why a roots style s/c cannot be "piped" in?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking for a reason why a roots style s/c cannot be "piped" in?

ok i am new to supercharging and i am doing research ..i would just buy a JRSC kit or something equvalent but everywhere i look ppl say i cannot supercharge my h22 swapped cd7(97 accord).

it is said that the sc will hit the fire wall, i have also read you would hit the strut tower ect... so i was looking in to, in a way "building a kit"... i know its not that easy but i figured why not give it a try, people "build" turbo kits from various parts and pieces every day...

i said all of that to get to my question...
is there a reason a roots style sc (like the one below from a mazda millenia) cannot be "piped" to the throttle body. beyond all the mounting problems and drive questions.. why cant an adapter plate be made to mount to the outlet of this sc and be "piped" in like a turbo setup. this may be a stupid question because there is some issue i am overlooking since i have never even so much as seen a nonfactory supercharged car, but i have pondered for a while now and cannot figure it out...

the hope is to maybe mount this to the front of my motor above the header ect... rather than in the rear where so many space issues come in to play ... and pipe it in. again there may be some reason why this cant be done hense the reason for my post...

all that being said i have been some what hesitant about posting this question due to the fact that i may get flamed straight to hell.. so if it is a must buy some of you "all knowing beings" to flame... please do so.

to the others tia.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Looking for a reason why a roots style s/c cannot be "piped" in? (KidFrost)

People have done it, I'm working on a setup for that now. The big problem with that type of setup is that the SC has to spin CCW for it to work and there aren't a lot of options in CCW blowers.

And the Millenia unit isn't a Roots blower, it's a Lysholm compressor.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1997913
Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for a reason why a roots style s/c cannot be "piped" in? (rmcdaniels)

ok i did not know that... would this work in my case tho??

you are going crazy with your setup. i am basically looking for a setup to make 325-340 on the high side, on my euro r swapped accord...
lmk
Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for a reason why a roots style s/c cannot be "piped" in? (KidFrost)

Lots of people have done it for cheap, making the mounting plate out of old diamond plate and using a CCW M62 blower off of ebay.

As far as what will work for you, there's not a quick answer. Figure out which way the blower needs to spin, get the map of the compressor to see if it will support the power that you want. etc.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for a reason why a roots style s/c cannot be "piped" in? (rmcdaniels)

are all m62's ccw?
and with your knowleage do you think an m62 can make 325whp?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, and probably not.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The M62's have symetrical boltholes on the front, so its just a matter of pulling the gears/nosecone off and flipping them. To get to 300whp with that blower, you need lots of modding to the case, an aftercooler, and a very good head/engine.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for a reason why a roots style s/c cannot be "piped" in? (HiProfile)

I'd just buy a CCW one, the CW ones mostly have that GM-specific cast-in manifolding that's a PITA.