Notices

Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better...

Its been awhile since ive posted something constructive, so what the hell. Ive gotten a few PM's about people asking me about my setup over the old setup, etc.

Anyways, as most of you have seen, I finally went turbo again. I used to have a drag 3 kit w/ hondata. it was nice, decided to sell it.

Well when i finally decided I wanted a new turbo setup, I thought to myself, sure putting together my own setup is more of a hassle, but is it worth it?

Yes it is.

Take a drag 3 kit or Rev Hard kit. they typically go for what? 2600-3000 depending on what options you go for.

Drag 3 has nice bling bling which i love, and is a little cheaper, however, the wastegate placement on the manifold isnt the best.

Revhard is pretty sweet, doesnt have the bling bling, but the manifold design is better, but it doesnt come w/ intake piping....

All kits have their advantages and disadvantages.

But I wanted something that satisfied every urge in my body, I wanted a sick setup with all kick *** parts, but keep A/C. I did some calculations and figured, hell i could get out the door much cheaper than a turbo kit, and have higher quality parts.

So on I went, being Mr. Cheap Bling, and most of you call me.

I haggled and hustled w/ people. I got it through my head, not to rush things. many people dont have patience, as i dont sometimes either. I sat around and waiting for the best deals on everything. I know i wanted a sick intercooler, and that came around, I got a new HKS IC for cheap. I had to have the best log manifold, art hooked me up w/ inline pro....I had to have bling bling piping, so i got drag 3.

Basically, Everything I wanted, i waited until i found it, I settled for nothing (except the fact for the turbo not fitting, i had to shave a lot off the block) I bought the new garrett 4 bolt for only $450 shipped....

Heres' the break down:

Part Price

Turbo 450
Manifold 480
Downpipe 100
Tial Wastegate 200
drag 3 Piping 300
HKS IC 600
TYPE S BOV 130
SS Lines & fittings 60
EMS 800
RCInjectors 210
Wideband 270
Oil pan 25
spark plugs 13
SS wastegate elbow 60
hi flow cat 80
Welding(tig) 150
Filter 10
Slim Fans 50

TOTAL 3988

Go buy a rev hard kit, the ems, and some injectors, you will be over $4000 easy, and will have no wideband o2, no high flow cat, and still have to fork out money for welding, and have a smaller IC.

Anyways, For you newbie's to the turbo world, like i was a couple years ago, I didnt know enough to piece my own kit together, nor did I know enough people to get the "hook ups" along the way, as I do now.

Read as much as you can. Search for a good 10-15 minutes before you ask what setup you should do, I bet you $$ you can find the answer if you look for it.

And as always, If it wasnt for:
Art(who gave me will power when he said i couldnt get the turbo to fit, which i had to prove wrong),
Stan (who's done so many favors and always helps w/ the small ****, as well as big),
Joe (hell, you just make me laugh, and you pretend to help me w/ my EMS), and
Chris(you were the one who always were up in the wee hours to chit chat about this and that)

......along with all the HT members I haggled, I couldnt have done it.

I think ive written enough, and now that you know the true value of cheap bling, go out and hassle some HT members for their turbo parts.

After all, I did prove the theory below wrong

Old 02-16-2003, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (Mase)

Glad you are happy Mase
I wish I could make up my mind already on what to do..
Old 02-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (Midwestrider)

so which one is better for a 98 GS-R with 74K miles and I am planning on boosting 7-8psi max and I want it to be reliable as I am using it for a daily driver and all...

drag gen 3, rev hard ( which one 2 or 2C), max-rev, F-max, Full race or custom ?

also, I am a major tree hugger so a cat is a must...

how is reliability issues ? have you had any big major problems in this whole experience ? how much power can you make and what kind of time slips do you get ?

also, what does everyone think about MF2 ? is it reliable ? what about AFC hack ?

should I go with AEM, hondata, Power Fc or fmu, AGAIN like I said, I am just going boost 7-8psi max...

and at how many PSI does your turbo started to spool and make full power, does ball bearing really worth it ?

tia

stan

PS: I have searched and can not find what I am lookign for
Old 02-16-2003, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (Flamenco-T)

hey stan,

thanks for asking every question possible

I appreciate it, now I only have to reply once.

Answer to all your questions:

Go buy a domestic.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (Mase)

hey stan,

thanks for asking every question possible

I appreciate it, now I only have to reply once.

Answer to all your questions:

Go buy a domestic.

I was being sarcastic numb nuts , now that you said it, I am buying a focus...
Old 02-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (Flamenco-T)

I was too **** head.

**** a focus, buy a Daewoo

P.S. when is your car gonna be faster than mine?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey mase, I'm going to have a similiar that you are running. I've already got a t3/t04e 4 bolt garrett. Did you happen to come across a manifold that didn't require you to shave your block any and also retain a/c? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I read and saw the pictures of your other article on when you finally finished the setup. Needless to say, I got confused on which manifold would've worked best.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (i3oricua)

max rev manifolds i believe were designed for the 4 bolt turbo.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But will I have to shave and shave and shave and shave? Did I mention, I don't wanna shave any of the block?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (i3oricua)

no, you wont have to shave the block like i did w/ the max rev manifold, however, if you use the inline pro manifold w/ the four bolt turbo like me, yes you will have to shave....

Old 02-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look into the thread about 4bolt vs 5 bolt turbos , i think arturbo wrote it...it says the maxrev is best and little if no shaving is needed

damn he beat me to it

[Modified by D-BOE, 8:32 AM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so which one is better for a 98 GS-R with 74K miles and I am planning on boosting 7-8psi max and I want it to be reliable as I am using it for a daily driver and all...

drag gen 3, rev hard ( which one 2 or 2C), max-rev, F-max, Full race or custom ?

also, I am a major tree hugger so a cat is a must...

how is reliability issues ? have you had any big major problems in this whole experience ? how much power can you make and what kind of time slips do you get ?

also, what does everyone think about MF2 ? is it reliable ? what about AFC hack ?

should I go with AEM, hondata, Power Fc or fmu, AGAIN like I said, I am just going boost 7-8psi max...

and at how many PSI does your turbo started to spool and make full power, does ball bearing really worth it ?

tia

stan

PS: I have searched and can not find what I am lookign for
lol
good info!!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my roomate thinks those daewoo hatches look sick. He swears he is gonna put 2 hayabusa's under one daewoo one day
Old 02-17-2003, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (D-BOE)

look into the thread about 4bolt vs 5 bolt turbos , i think arturbo wrote it...it says the maxrev is best and little if no shaving is needed

damn he beat me to it

[Modified by D-BOE, 8:32 AM 2/17/2003]
But also the problem with the maxrev manifold is that they are hand welded so not all manifolds come out the same. They lack consistancy. Not like the Inline which i believe are casted, the maxrev mani can be diffrent with in each one made. So that means you might get a manifold mounting the turbo closer to the block then other mani's meaning shaving the block...etc.

If it helps im running the maxrev mani and i didnt have to shave as much as you probably think. The turbo is the 57trim.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (Cramerox)

What about the rev hard manifold? Anyone know if it clears with no to minimal shaving? I'm gonna try to find they're personal site and email them but if anyone has an answer first please post it.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Better than steak

You will have to cut way more off with the Rev-hard manifold and 4-bolt than you would with the inlinepro and 4-bolt. Your best bet is to run a 5-bolt housing with rev-hard or inline pro.

art
Old 02-17-2003, 09:08 AM
B*A*N*N*E*D

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (Arturbo)

i agree with art on that..
we offer the 5bolt turbine housing as an option now, for this exact reason.

p.s.: art i am sending your money tomorrow..
Old 02-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (CHEAPTURBOdotCOM)

FYI my B18B1 with inline pro and t3/4 5 bolt fits pretty good. I had to hack off a "stub" from the front of the block and just do a little grinding to the webbing and it fits just fine!

Too bad the turbo is smashed against the radiator fan and the wastegate is against the ac lines.........
Old 02-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was too **** head.

**** a focus, buy a Daewoo

P.S. when is your car gonna be faster than mine?
nah, I'd stay with focus...Daewoo is cool, but I'll get a Kia first before I step up to daewoo

stan
Old 02-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey is the mase bling bling kit better then the full-race? how much does the mase bling bling kit cost? what kind of times does the mase bling bling kit run? You have an LS will the mase bling bling kit work on my b16a, I want to boost 20psi but I don't want to hassle w/ standalone will afc, big injectors, daul fuel pumps, fuel rail, fuel regulator, SS lines, fuel cell and pump gas suffice? does the car pull hard w/ the AC on? i noticed u said the mase bling bling kit works w/ AC.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also pieced my kit together and ended spending $500-$700 less than I would've spent buying a complete kit and I have all the same components as a Revhard or Drag... And another funny thing is I received all my help and info from the same people you did... ..
Old 02-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (99 B18B)

chris imma have to come help you with your setup then, cause there is no need for your engine bay to be cramped, or anything touching
Old 02-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (foozball-26)

Good little write up Mase. I had the same idea in my head too. Basically be patient, piece a kit together with the components I wanted and save $$ in the end, and thats exactly what I did and I couldn't be happier with my custom kit
M
Old 02-17-2003, 10:23 AM
New User

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (01ITR#700)

The only complaint I have(because I am a little more ghetto than you...), I didn't fork over like 300 or 400 bux for IC piping, so I ordered my own from JC whitney. Basically, the only difficult(or tedious rather) part of it was measuring it out and forking out a little cash to weld it together. Other than that my kit will go on this week and I'm hoping for close to 400whp with my custom kit.

Custom kits with all the parts you want
Drag or Revhard Kit
Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better... (foozball-26)

It's probably because you have the tiny Maxrev manifold. The inlinepro sticks out there pretty good. Switching to SPAL fans, problem solved

Quick Reply: Long Write Up: This is why piecing together your own kit is better...