Notices

long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance?

I am currently talking with Vince at Golden Eagle about raising the deck height on my LS when it gets sleeved next week. Everything is a go except for the fact that I dont know if ill have the hood clearance with the Deltagate on my DRAG 3 kit. Heres where the problems lies. I already pulled the motor and as I dig deeper into the engine i keep taking it further than I intended to so I didnt measure the distance when it was in the car because i never intened to do this. I would like to raise the deck height 10-12mm to bring the r/s ratio up (1.651 with a 10mm and 1.674 with a 12mm change). My question is will this clear the hood line. I know there is room there and I use the Hasport solid polyurethane mounts so the motor doesnt torque much at all. So does anyone know how much room is there or be willing to measure for me? I appreciate your help.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance? (boosted3g)

how much more displacement will you be seeing?
Old 11-24-2001, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance? (Slow_ass_4dr)

the crank is going to remain stock so ill see no addititonal displacement due to the longer rods. The engine will just be a little more happy with less side loading. Do you happen to know how much clearance is there between the hood and the wastegate?
Old 11-24-2001, 05:37 AM
New User

Theres about one inch between hood and my Tial wastegate without elbow in top port
Old 11-24-2001, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance? (FORCED FED TEG)

im not sure what you mean by elbow. Is the Tial placed on the DRAG manifold and not turned on its side or anything. I still have the Deltagate and it is on the DRAG manifold just horizonal. Basically its the way it came in the kit.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kinda $$$$$$$$ are you looking at to raise the deckheight?

Remember, your going to need a custom timing belt.

Are the de-stressing the block after raising the deckheight?

I'm sure Vince knows the business...you might wanna call AEBS, they do that **** alot.

What are your power and rpm goals with the new motor?
Old 11-24-2001, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance? (Suprdave)

Im shooting for 500 horsepower and hope to rev it to around 8500 safely. My LS almost went 10s last year and fell it could have with more dyno time but its the winter now and i want to do a crazy set up for the street class next year. I havent addressed the timing belt issue very deeply and im only just starting to think over all that is involved in the process. I will be making a ton of calls on Monday morning.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

8500 RPM?

I would think that with Balanced Bottom End, z10 Gidle, and Crower\JE\ARP Combo....You should be able to rev to 8500 on that Bottom End. The only thing that you would have to cover would be your Valvetrain Upgrades.

I think the cash could be better spent...but that definately would be sick.

Suprdave
Old 11-24-2001, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance? (Suprdave)

My head and valvetrain is good but it needs a freshen up while the car is down. I took a trip to my buddys house and got the clearance off of his car and the raised deck will work. Also I got the Z10 girdle off of the group buy and I use all the ARP stuff.The only thing that remains is the timing belt and the availability of the rods. I will call Crower on Monday and if they stall ill check Probe Industries and check with them. They did a stroker kit on my friends Mustang and it was top notch. They make rods for imorts now and if their stuff is as good as it is on the domestics then its a possibility. I dont see any other hang ups really except for the timing belt. Im sure its an off the shelf part being that the tentioner will take up some slack if I need it. So I dont think it will be too hard. One more thing im concerned about is when I pulled the crank I had a few scratches on the main journals and I know if I have it turned sizing the bearings will be a pain. Also time may be a factor. I know having custom rods will take weeks to get and I want to have it ready to run by the end of February.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you doing any Cams?

I know there are Crower Cams with Turbo in Mind.

OR are you using stock? I was thinking that with the Long-Rod Combo on the LS. I'm guessing that your gonna poke it out to 2.0L Correct? That thing is going to breath like a ************. Might want to try some more aggressive than stock Cams. I had designed a motor similar to yours, it was a Long-Rod witha 95mm Crank and a Bigass Deckplate. 2.1L, Perfect 1.75:1 R\S Ratio After figuring everything out, it was going to cost like 10k just on the Motor. Obviously i would need a custom hood, etc...

Good Luck Man

Suprdave
Old 11-24-2001, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crower will make rods in any length you desire. Just have the crank micro polished and run the same size bearings. What's left of the scratch will just hold more oil for the bearing. I admire your guts to take on this project
Old 11-24-2001, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: long rod DRAG 3 LS enough hood clearance? (earl)

i ran the Crower 403's all year but will probably step it up to the 404's and play a little bit with the timing or I may just get a custom set made. I would do the same duration and lobe seperation as the 403's jsut with a lot more lift. i found that when I messed with the timing on the 403's any change resulted in a loss of power. I just put the stock gears back on because the most gains came with no adjustments. I also first had the Crower turbo cams and they sucked. When I later bought the 403s they gave the car so much top end it was crazy. I have no idea why they call them turbo cams because they are junk. Thanks for the advice on micropolishing the crank. My friend who is helping me get this engine running suggested the same thing but I was leary of it but since a few people had suggested it i may just do it. I dont plan on spending too much because a lot of parts I can resell. I have a set of Crower LS rods that I can sell to get back some of the cash for the new ones. I think they will sell quick. Thanks for the encouragement guys youll probably be hearing a few posts in the future as I get further into the project. Dont worry I will post pics as I go and see if can get them up on the board. Im sure I can find someone to host them for me.