Notices

long, but need much help on why car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long, but need much help on why car won't start.

ok...installed my turbo last week. setup is as follows:
d16y7-obd2
dsm 450 w/ resistor box and safc
td04 off '02 wrx
ran the car tuesday open downpipe and it started right up on the first try. i pulled plug wires and cranked a few times to get gas to injectors, oil and coolant to turbo prior to first try. car idled like normal, but ran rich since i had settings on safc at:
-38 decending to -35 up through upper rev range.
had my car towed to the muffler shop to get the downpipe made since i boiled my clutch fluid (turbine exit right at clutch bleeder screw) and didn't want to keep killing it and i needed to bleed the system to get clutch to work properly anyway. car cranked up just fine to get it on flatbed and getting it off into a parking spot. the muffler shop had car for 3 days and i had him drain the gas tank too since i had a full tank of crappy 87 octane in it still.
when he was done i put a gallon of 93 in tank and car cranked right up, but then stalled since clutch hadn't been bled yet. then car would not restart and i ended up flooding it.
i've pulled and replaced my plugs and it still won't start.
things i've checked:
i'm getting fuel because i can smell it in the cylinders and on plugs when i pull them
i'm getting spark-checked power at distributor and pulled plug and attached it to wire while my wife cranked it and sparking
i checked resistor box resistance and it's ok
all vacuum lines are connected
wtf!!! why can't i get the damn thing started? it sat for over an hour waiting for the tow truck to tow it back to my house and another hour while i went and got new plugs. i pulled the plugs before getting new ones and they were definately real rich looking and hoped that the cylinders would dry.
somebody help me before i set this damn thing on fire!!!
Old 05-17-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Re: long, but need much help on why car won't start. (scttydb411)

If your car has fuel, spark and compression then it should run. Its a possibilty that it flooded and washed your cylinders out(no oil for building compression). This isnt uncommon in a moddified car. On mine if I dont hold the gas half way down at startup then it will flood and never start. I didnt see the year of your car but if its 98 or newer then hold the pedal to the floor. Dodge and Ford call this 'clear flood'. This should work for you as well. It turns off the injectors so that nothing but air comes in. If it is bad enough then you might have to remove your plugs and put a very small amount of oil in each cylinder to get the compression back. Hope you figure it out.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:23 PM
New User

Default Re: long, but need much help on why car won't start. (Boosted32v)

sounds like fueling.... when was the last time your fuel filter was changed?

if you can't change your filter at the moment tap that filter a couple of times with a wrench to dislodge any gunk stuck on the media..

good luck!

Modified by Pritos at 6:04 PM 5/17/2003
Old 05-17-2003, 04:37 PM

Default Re: long, but need much help on why car won't start. (Pritos)

You running your stock ECU?
Old 05-17-2003, 07:36 PM

Default Re: long, but need much help on why car won't start. (Pritos)

i'm definately getting fuel because i'm flooded (plugs were wet with gas and i could smell it from the plug holes).

i'm running the stock ecu with the "hack". it ran fine until it sat for 2 days without being started while waiting for the downpipe. i'm thinking that since when i had to start it to get it off the flatbed and park it, it didn't warm up and was in cold start mode and running extremely rich and then i turned it off since it was only on for 20 seconds leaving a lot of gas in the cylinders.

i'm going to leave the plugs out overnight to see if the excess gas in the cylinders will dry out and then pour a few drips of oil in each cylinder just in case i washed the cylinders dry and losing compression.

i reset my safc to -42 on lo throttle correction since that takes it above the ezuivalet of 260cc injectors and set hi throttle correction to -38 being the equivalet to 280cc and set the throttle point to 45% low and 46% hi.

should i change my oil now if i washed the cylinders and got gas in the oil?
Old 05-17-2003, 07:39 PM
New User

ahhh ic, can u get access to a compressor and one of those long air wands? I'd pull the plugs and stick the wand in there and run it for 5 mins to dry it out, then oil and crank away

Old 05-18-2003, 06:30 AM

anybody else help me? i'm about to go and pour some oil and set it to -40 correction.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:45 AM

finally got the car restarted. 1 tsp of oil down each sparkplug hole and let it sit for an hour. first try it started right up. wahoooo!!! took it for a test drive and boost to 6-7 psi. doesn't spool quite as quick as it did without the downpipe, but it's very quiet now and i'm not boiling the clutch fluid. i drained my oil since i washed my cylinders so much with fuel.

you don't think i could've done much damage trying to crank it ten or so times flooded so badly as i was? car seems to boost fine and i'm no spewing oil or anything out of the tailpipe.

i'm running 1/4inch id fuel hose for my oil lines. i know they can handle the psi, but what about the temp of the oil running through them? they seem to get pretty hot.

thanks to everyone that posted helping me to get the car restarted.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:10 PM

Nah, you wouldnt of hurt anything cranking it while flooded. Glad to hear you got it running and that it was something minor.