Notices

A little less HMT today: Install pics of my new hybrid core FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little less HMT today: Install pics of my new hybrid core FMIC

Application: Kia Rio

Here are pictures of the installation of my new FMIC. This intercooler was intended as a FMIC for a Eclipse, but it looked to be the right size for my car. Although not easy to install without cutting up the bumper or supports, I did it, and I am much happier and feel better with this large FMIC than with my old Ford Probe intercooler.

First, the parts I had to get:

Some aluminum bends, the intercooler, t-bolt clamps, 4 feet of 2" silicone hose, and the reducer couplers I needed to connect to the intercooler.

The intercooler itself is from a seller on ebay. It is a 25x5.5x2-7/8 Modine core. I don't know a lot about brands but I hear Modine is a good brand. In any case the internal fins are as good as any bar/plate core I have ever seen. Please give me opinions on the Modine core. Good buy for $200?

Compare that to the old crap I had:

Mounting the intercooler was a piece of cake. First I removed a few things that were in the way:

Then mounted the intercooler directly to my bumper with convenient tabs:

At this point I ran into the first snag. The Rio's radiator support is in the way a bit:

But using some of my old steel charge pipes I managed to squeeze the pipe past the support. (cut a 90° bend mid-bend and turned one side around) This displaced my air filter and MAF which were located under the passenger headlight. So I found a new place for the intake:

I'm not going to get any cooler air to intake than from there!

Running the pipes into the engine bay was pretty easy. I trimmed away the super-thin metal that was under the headlights and ran pipes through there.

Then I ran into the biggest snag. The outlet from the turbo is much lower than the headlight and I ran into this situation:

But a little creative fabrication solved the problem and also solved the problem on where I was going to put the BOV:

Finally it was all connected:

Put the bumper back on and it fit great. No room for the factory foglights so I will have to go back to the ugly fog light blanks. But the intercooler is completely invisible unless you really look for it:

I feel much safer boosting now with a intercooler than is admittedly overkill.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: A little less HMT today: Install pics of my new hybrid core FMIC (beepy)

Nice work, i like your car
Are you planning on replacing that mangloid blow off valve piece anytime soon?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A little less HMT today: Install pics of my new hybrid core FMIC (beepy)

Good job on the install! I don't know about that crazy bend where the bov is though
Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: A little less HMT today: Install pics of my new hybrid core FMIC (SOHC_MShue)

I don't know of a better way to connect the turbo outlet to the "lower" charge pipe unfortunately. The Rio's bumper supports are HUGE. Also I see that most Honda turbo cars use a narrower radiator. Stock here!
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great

Do you think you will pick up any gains by switching to the more efficient intercooler?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: A little less HMT today: Install pics of my new hybrid core FMIC (EJ1 wilcox)

Hrmmm, wouldn't you want the MAF installed somewhere after the intercooler?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
rhd

Default Re: A little less HMT today: Install pics of my new hybrid core FMIC (sharkcohen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrmmm, wouldn't you want the MAF installed somewhere after the intercooler?</TD></TR></TABLE>

only if he chose to run blow through. some maf's aren't calibrated for that..and the car can end up running like ****..or not at all