Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   links for manifold design? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/links-manifold-design-603176/)

turbotypeR@SPEC 08-26-2003 06:44 PM

links for manifold design?

does anyone know of some links for turbo manifold design?specifically for t4 divided turbine housing.i have searched everywhere i know and can't seem to find what i am looking for.

turbotypeR@SPEC 08-27-2003 04:03 AM

Re: links for manifold design? (turbotypeR)

nobody knows?

DaveF 08-27-2003 04:34 AM

can u be more specific on what you are looking for? im sure someone around here could help you. good luck.

turbotypeR@SPEC 08-27-2003 05:52 PM

Re: links for manifold design? (2.2Lcivic)

i just wanted some theorys on how it works,lenghts of pipe,what cylinders need to go together and why.i am about to build mine and would like to know more about how it works so i can make it turn out better.i have done all kinds of searches on the web and on h-t about header design and have not been able to come up with anything i don't already know.

MotorMatrix.com 08-27-2003 06:57 PM

maybe attend some fluid dynamics classes.

Full-Race Geoff 08-27-2003 06:57 PM

try searching for "Frictional flow through a pipe" and "pressure drops through a pipe" that should be a good start! good luck https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

kpt4321 08-27-2003 07:01 PM

You want to make all 4 cylinders go into the turbo.

Equal length is theoreticially better, but for a mildly powered car, it really does not make a huge difference.

turbotypeR@SPEC 08-27-2003 07:04 PM

Re: (kpt4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You want to make all 4 cylinders go into the turbo.

Equal length is theoreticially better, but for a mildly powered car, it really does not make a huge difference.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i am talking about divided turbine housings and not a mildly powered car.600+hp

turbotypeR@SPEC 08-28-2003 06:31 PM

Re: (turbotypeR)

i didn't think anybody new.

Full-Race Geoff 08-29-2003 12:39 AM

you arent going to find out how to build a header by going to a website. Its something that took me 5 years of engineering school and reading books/taking courses on fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer to fully understand

i dont think you understand how much is really going on if you just expect to find it on the web.

MotorMatrix.com 08-29-2003 09:15 AM

divided turbine housings are for diesel cars. i dont think the R is diesel https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

boosted hybrid 08-29-2003 09:43 AM

Re: (MotorMatrix.com)

The divided housing turbo and manifold concept doesnt produce as much energy as a single collector. The focus of a single, low merge angle collector can produce a better transition from turbulent to laminar flow as well as focus the energy/sound propulsion waves better onto the turbine wheel. You'll make more power with a full race style collector and single inlet turbine housing.

turbotypeR@SPEC 08-29-2003 06:54 PM

Re: (FFgeoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FFgeoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you arent going to find out how to build a header by going to a website. Its something that took me 5 years of engineering school and reading books/taking courses on fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer to fully understand

i dont think you understand how much is really going on if you just expect to find it on the web.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i just want to find something.i didn't really mean just on the web.i was just wondering if there was something written about it(books or web).i was looking for something written specifically about the divided header design.i understand what you are saying about the time and effort it takes to learn about it fully.i just want to know the simple things like why do certain cylinders go together to one side,what makes it work better(or worse).i have looked at nearly every setup out there that is done this way, and i know how they have done theirs,but i want to know why they are done that way and what makes it work.

Modified by turbotypeR at 10:06 PM 8/29/2003

Full-Race Geoff 08-30-2003 01:00 AM

the idea with the divided setup has not so much to do with anything but the firing order of the motor. The divided setup keeps things 180 degrees out of phase.

It works well for low rpm engines.

Tinker219 08-30-2003 05:47 AM

Re: (FFgeoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FFgeoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the idea with the divided setup has not so much to do with anything but the firing order of the motor. The divided setup keeps things 180 degrees out of phase.

It works well for low rpm engines.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Try and model the manifold after this one if you would like to.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=591658
1 and 4 goes into one side, 2 and 3 into the other.
But, I still say you better just get an undivided housing and run a more traditional collector...

turbotypeR@SPEC 08-30-2003 10:40 AM

Re: (Tinker219)

i have looked at every one out there and i know that 1&4 go together and 2&3 go together.that is not what i am asking.i am interested in learning why.

Tinker219 08-31-2003 05:08 AM

I guess I couldnt tell you...haha. I made that manifold because it was demanded by the customer. To me, a rather Simpleton compared to some of the other members on here, the gasses are going to reach the turbo reguardless of collector orientation.
Maybe on a 6 or 8 cylinder the collector/cylinder orientation matters more, but I just cant see the benefit :shrug: