Notices

Lilskull4's B18b1 1st time turbo build thread. A lot to get to learn

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lilskull4's B18b1 1st time turbo build thread. A lot to get to learn

So I just got a Honda for the first time after building a diesel. So this is kinda new to me. But I got a relatively stock b18b1 with a turbo kit already on it. Hks blow off valve. tial wastegate. Apparently 8xx CC injectors. I never checked eBay turbo. Vibrant inter cooler. The motor is stock other then arp studs. I want to push this car pretty far. I would love to make it a drag/steet race car
I have some parts already. Golden eagle fuel rake aeromotive fpr. 1600 South Bay injectors, skunk 2 intake with a 70mm throttle body, Inline pro rods, walboro 450 pump and inline filter
I need some more things I know of before I will even throw it all together. Bearings. Pistons? (What size)
And retainers and valve springs.
What else should I do. Money is but it isn’t an option. I wanna keep the cost low but I will spend money for quality if that makes sense
Is cams worth it. Cam gears ? I read stock crank is more then well enough
Old 03-01-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default re: Lilskull4's B18b1 1st time turbo build thread. A lot to get to learn

cams are definitely worth it. Cam gears are necessary in order to degree the cams properly.
Depending on your power level, you'll want to either sleeve the block with Darton MID sleeves, or CSS the block. B18b's are open deck blocks and can't handle much more than 350hp without breaking the cylinders.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Lilskull4's B18b1 1st time turbo build thread. A lot to get to learn

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
cams are definitely worth it. Cam gears are necessary in order to degree the cams properly.
Depending on your power level, you'll want to either sleeve the block with Darton MID sleeves, or CSS the block. B18b's are open deck blocks and can't handle much more than 350hp without breaking the cylinders.
I read about css. If I got sleeves would I need to css the block?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Ok. Slow your roll a little. You need to check a lot of the information in the FAQs that are located highlighted in grey at the top of the forum about what you need, when you need it , how it's used, etc. Click that link right here.

FAQs. The best way to start

The ones to note most are the ones That are bolded in blue. That's where your equipment check is going to come in. Also, many will say dump the eBay kit and get a better components base. (I would agree with this) But we don't know what you exactly have, so I can't personally comment as to whether or not this"kit" is good. You need to compare it to others, and check out the B18B Non-VTEC turbo forums.

Here's good example of one
K20z1ej1's B18B turbo thread

That way you can see the direction these people who have been successful, (as well as those that haven't)
Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lilskull4

I read about css. If I got sleeves would I need to css the block?
It all depends upon the goal.which needs to be figured out first before going with any sleeve enforcement of any kind. We You need a proper compression and leakdown test first to determine if the block is healthy., If it is, you can do up to about 320hp to the wheels before upgrading internal components and worrying about CSS or sleeving (two different processes. Both do a similar job, one is like a custom machined block guard, the other is actually changing the material composition of the cylinder sleeve.) You don't do both.

This is why I suggest you read up before taking a lot of suggestions of processes you're not aware of.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b1 build first time

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It all depends upon the goal.which needs to be figured out first before going with any sleeve enforcement of any kind. We You need a proper compression and leakdown test first to determine if the block is healthy., If it is, you can do up to about 320hp to the wheels before upgrading internal components and worrying about CSS or sleeving (two different processes. Both do a similar job, one is like a custom machined block guard, the other is actually changing the material composition of the cylinder sleeve.) You don't do both.

This is why I suggest you read up before taking a lot of suggestions of processes you're not aware of.

I only read up on css recently I know about sleeving a block

I have a 1k horsepower 2250 torque. Diesel I’m not stupid when it comes to mechanics

Only thing eBay is the turbo I’m already looking at a Percision 6266. I have read up on the things

thats why I came asking a question. If you aren’t going

The block right now is holding 235 horsepower on an. Dyno. When I take it apart I’m going to get it checked out. Don’t you worry about thay
i was asking what other parts I need. Not someone telling me to go read things when I have been reading things THATS WHY I am here asking because I can’t find anything else
Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lilskull4's B18b1 1st time turbo build thread. A lot to get to learn

why can’t you do both my buddys 9 second b18b1 civic says other wise. Css and sleeved block
I said what parts I have. And what I know I need to get I was asking about anything I missed
Old 03-01-2019, 08:37 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Lilskull4's B18b1 1st time turbo build thread. A lot to get to learn

If you are going to be rebuilding the engine for more power, I would recommend getting a GSR or B16 head on it to add vtec. Read up on LS/VTEC builds.

For the bottom end, some forged pistons and rods, ARP hardware and new bearings will get you to 400whp. Any more than that and you will want to look at CSS or sleeving options. Piston size will depend on whether you need to bore the block to the next size to get straight cylinder bores.

For valve train most people will recommend Ferrea. I have Skunk2 springs and retainers and they work fine.

I believe those South Bay injectors are junk.

You will likely need a better clutch and fuel system upgrades to handle the power increase. It really depends on what your ultimate power goal is, as do all of these other components. 400whp, 500whp, and 600+whp all have very different requirements. Also important to note is what fuel you will be using, and what engine management.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
If you are going to be rebuilding the engine for more power, I would recommend getting a GSR or B16 head on it to add vtec. Read up on LS/VTEC builds.

For some reason I don’t wanna go vtec. But I don’t know maybe I should
For the bottom end, some forged pistons and rods, ARP hardware and new bearings will get you to 400whp. Any more than that and you will want to look at CSS or sleeving options. Piston size will depend on whether you need to bore the block to the next size to get straight cylinder bores.

For valve train most people will recommend Ferrea. I have Skunk2 springs and retainers and they work fine.

You will likely need a better clutch and fuel system upgrades to handle the power increase. It really depends on what your ultimate power goal is, as do all of these other components. 400whp, 500whp, and 600+whp all have very different requirements. Also important to note is what fuel you will be using, and what engine management.
i have heard/seen great things from South Bay. If they are junk I will get new.
I knew I was forgetting somethings I got a l have a b16 tranny stage 3 clutch I want to build that internally.
I have a hondata s300 v3 in the car runnings boost by gear already
What else will I need fuel system wise from what I have gotten already?
i have a bit of things if ya read up top ready to put in but I want to get everything first. Then do it at once. I heard Ferrea is good.
I’m thinking e85 but rn I’m not certain.
Everything I use hardware wise will be arp
Old 03-01-2019, 09:14 AM

why can’t you do both my buddys 9 second b18b1 civic says other wise. Css and sleeved block
I said what parts I have. And what I know I need to get I was asking about anything I missed
I'm sure you're mechanically inclined, so relax on the ego. But please understand, that No one knows your mechanical background other than yourself. The Diesel world is on a different planet compared this this type of build from a 25 year old engine platform. It's a different mode of thinking altogether.

You must understand as a premise that the CSS System only works with a stock sleeve. Aftermarket sleeving requires a ductile iron replacement sleeve. The purpose of the CSS CNC WERX is for cylinder reinforcement from movement, to support much more HP than the sleeve can support (Cylinder Support System, remember? ; ) ) If you go with an aftermarket replacement sleeve, it defeats the purpose of using the CSS CNC Werx, because the sleeve is now supported on its own. It will support much more power than even the CSS and retains a higher residual value in case you sell the block at a later time.

Your 9 second "buddy" can otherwise believe all they'd like. If he knows everything for your needs.. then....Why come here? (No B.S. question)
Many here (including myself) know this process as though it's second nature for many years. Just as you probably understand Diesel mechanics more than the average Bear here. We're simply saying that you have to get out your "buddy's-cousin's-sister's-brother's- former-roommate says X" type of thinking.

No one is trying to fight you here. But asking questions, getting reasonable answers only to come back with "my buddy says", is no evidence of any knowledge of this process of any kind. You continue with that mode of answering questions when people are simply attempting to help, then this thread will end fast, with little to no feedback. We'll wish you well, God-Speed, and let you continue on your journey without any further feedback from us.

Seriously. No argument or debate. The choice is yours. You're asking, and we're answering.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0

Understood. I still have yet to have any problems with South Bay injectors. They've been fine for the 3 years I've used them on a few builds. I'd personally call those guys and make your own conclusion as to whether or not you want to go with them. This is the first I've ever heard of it, and 2x0, if you could, please establish more information other than generalized hearsay that "they are junk". That could put a good company that is really trying to help the community out of business simply because you heard some unsubstantiated rumors. You gotta be careful with that, and have at least a large enough sample of failures to document in order to determine that these injectors do indeed, "not work.". It's just the right & ethical thing to do. We're talking about a small business who I'm sure have mouths to feed. Please take that into account.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure you're mechanically inclined, so relax on the ego. But please understand, that No one knows your mechanical background other than yourself. The Diesel world is on a different planet compared this this type of build from a 25 year old engine platform. It's a different mode of thinking altogether.

You must understand as a premise that the CSS System only works with a stock sleeve. Aftermarket sleeving requires a ductile iron replacement sleeve. The purpose of the CSS CNC WERX is for cylinder reinforcement from movement, to support much more HP than the sleeve can support (Cylinder Support System, remember? ; ) ) If you go with an aftermarket replacement sleeve, it defeats the purpose of using the CSS CNC Werx, because the sleeve is now supported on its own. It will support much more power than even the CSS and retains a higher residual value in case you sell the block at a later time.

Your 9 second "buddy" can otherwise believe all they'd like. If he knows everything for your needs.. then....Why come here? (No B.S. question)
Many here (including myself) know this process as though it's second nature for many years. Just as you probably understand Diesel mechanics more than the average Bear here. We're simply saying that you have to get out your "buddy's-cousin's-sister's-brother's- former-roommate says X" type of thinking.

No one is trying to fight you here. But asking questions, getting reasonable answers only to come back with "my buddy says", is no evidence of any knowledge of this process of any kind. You continue with that mode of answering questions when people are simply attempting to help, then this thread will end fast, with little to no feedback. We'll wish you well, God-Speed, and let you continue on your journey without any further feedback from us.

Seriously. No argument or debate. The choice is yours. You're asking, and we're answering.
I don’t need someone telling me to go read
that’s the thing. I read a lot I read everything before I do it. I have asked questions in other pages like HondaSwap and gotten ridiculed and people telling me to read. I did do that still kinda stuck but asking what other people thing because my “buddy” who iv known my whole life. Works a lot and he has his car he provides very little imput he tells me to go read up on things
The whole points of this website is to ask questions get help. Everyone else. Has actually been doing what I asked. And they have been giving me the responses I’m looking for. I can read and read all day long. Of what company’s say about their product. I can read “reviews” of their products on their sites. But it’s better to get first hand knowledge from people doing this. Every day. Or using the products
You can read all day long about diesel related topics. And you will have a ton of questions I bet. You might get the principal and **** but you might have questions that READING OTHER THREADS might not of answered because they are for other people’s question. Not yours
Old 03-01-2019, 10:37 AM

I don’t need someone telling me to go read
that’s the thing. I read a lot I read everything before I do it. I have asked questions in other pages like HondaSwap and gotten ridiculed and people telling me to read. I did do that still kinda stuck but asking what other people thing because my “buddy” who iv known my whole life. Works a lot and he has his car he provides very little imput he tells me to go read up on things
The whole points of this website is to ask questions get help. Everyone else. Has actually been doing what I asked. And they have been giving me the responses I’m looking for. I can read and read all day long. Of what company’s say about their product. I can read “reviews” of their products on their sites. But it’s better to get first hand knowledge from people doing this. Every day. Or using the products
You can read all day long about diesel related topics. And you will have a ton of questions I bet. You might get the principal and **** but you might have questions that READING OTHER THREADS might not of answered because they are for other people’s question. Not yours
My God, man.. *chuckle*. You can't be this dense, that "I don't need people telling me to read" is all you got out of my response. *sigh*
Alrighty sir. I give up. I was trying to point you in the correct direction with the correct direct information that pertained specifically to you and your build. But.I digress. You've given nothing but circular arguments that don't even remain on subject of what you're trying to do, as I was attempting to go more indepth as to what your purpose really is to get the right parts the first time.. You'd rather just fight, and simply get a "list of what's best", when you don't know if what's "best", is even "best for you." If you're looking to fight each and every point of contention then, you're right. I'm the wrong person to help you so that you don't just get the answers, but you understand why the answer is, what it is.. But I see I've wasted my time with the links and information provided. Shame on me for giving a damn, guess. I got what I deserved, I see..

You have the floor sir. Good luck and God-Speed in your quest.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:40 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Understood. I still have yet to have any problems with South Bay injectors. They've been fine for the 3 years I've used them on a few builds. I'd personally call those guys and make your own conclusion as to whether or not you want to go with them. This is the first I've ever heard of it, and 2x0, if you could, please establish more information other than generalized hearsay that "they are junk". That could put a good company that is really trying to help the community out of business simply because you heard some unsubstantiated rumors. You gotta be careful with that, and have at least a large enough sample of failures to document in order to determine that these injectors do indeed, "not work.". It's just the right & ethical thing to do. We're talking about a small business who I'm sure have mouths to feed. Please take that into account.
Yeah, as soon as I posted that I went back to find where I had remembered that from, but I couldn't find anything about them. So maybe I got them confused with something else, may have to retract that.

On the fuel system OP, you'll have to make sure your pump, lines, injectors, filter setup, and regulator are all up to snuff to handle the kind of power you want to make. Especially if you are going with E85, because old stock fuel lines and paper filters are not a good choice with that, plus you'll need ~35% more flow capability than on pump gas.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Someone said to add a B18c1 or B16 head and I agree, that gives you better tuning abilities. I just installed a 62-66 turbo on my build and it definitely don’t spool as fast as my old t3/t4 turbo but I’m building mine as mainly as a track only car. I decided to run CSS since I don’t plan on exceeding 800hp. There a many options for your build and each person will probably have a different opinion, you just need to take everyone’s opinions to heart and find that happy medium that works for you. Feel free to browse through my build thread.... you will even get to see me and Shondan butt heads
Old 03-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
. Feel free to browse through my build thread.... you will even get to see me and Shondan butt heads
I doubt that will be much of the case anymore now that we are on the same wavelength, and I understand your purpose a bit better. Especially now that you're giving the why of your methodology and not just that you're doing it " 'cuz race-car". That's been an issue in a lot of these threads lately.

Once it's my turn again, I expect the trashing of my build to begin. And boy do I expect people to start raising some serious eyebrows as to my methods behind my madness... .. The Difference is, I don't take any of it personal. hehehe.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:25 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt that will be much of the case anymore now that we are on the same wavelength, and I understand your purpose a bit better. Especially now that you're giving the why of your methodology and not just that you're doing it " 'cuz race-car". That's been an issue in a lot of these threads lately.

Once it's my turn again, I expect the trashing of my build to begin. And boy do I expect people to start raising some serious eyebrows as to my methods behind my madness... .. The Difference is, I don't take any of it personal. hehehe.
Well we can't all be boostedboiz with ebay turbos and 4" hood exits on street cars, now can we
Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

My God, man.. *chuckle*. You can't be this dense, that "I don't need people telling me to read" is all you got out of my response. *sigh*
Alrighty sir. I give up. I was trying to point you in the correct direction with the correct direct information that pertained specifically to you and your build. But.I digress. You've given nothing but circular arguments that don't even remain on subject of what you're trying to do, as I was attempting to go more indepth as to what your purpose really is to get the right parts the first time.. You'd rather just fight, and simply get a "list of what's best", when you don't know if what's "best", is even "best for you." If you're looking to fight each and every point of contention then, you're right. I'm the wrong person to help you so that you don't just get the answers, but you understand why the answer is, what it is.. But I see I've wasted my time with the links and information provided. Shame on me for giving a damn, guess. I got what I deserved, I see..

You have the floor sir. Good luck and God-Speed in your quest.
I don't think I would have responded as nice as you, TheShodan. LOL

OP, just remember, no one is going to hold your hand. We are all adults and with the INTERWEB at are fingertips, you could have easily found the information you needed without making a thread. Sounds like you're the type that doesn't like constructive criticism. Sounds more like a self-entitlement issue but whatever. As for your buddy's 9sec B18B1, I wouldn't mind seeing what he actually has. I guess everyone and their cousin has a 9sec car riding around town. I need one too..
Old 03-05-2019, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

OP go read some threads. The search function is your friend. If you have no idea where to start then this rabbit hole is NOT something you should be partaking in.