Notices

Lets see if I can get some advice for my turbo brick. -Volvo 945 Turbo Wagon-

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:31 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets see if I can get some advice for my turbo brick. -Volvo 945 Turbo Wagon-

It came with a Garrett (all in one) turbo and 3.5in tubing from the air box to the intake manifold. The intercooler is as big as the radiator and even complete with a useless turbo gauge.
I bought a new boost actuator from IPD and I'm going to turn it up to 12 psi soon.

What I need is information to fill my "What if" file.

What am I risking with higher boost that I may be overlooking? The car came with pretty cool hose clamps that keep the charge pipes from being blown off and the block/ internals are good to 25 psi. It also has a knock sensor so I'm not as worried about detonation as I would be with my Hondas. It's RWD with a Dana 30 and a torque locker, so driveline failure isn't a big issue either also has a 4link on the rear.

I know most of this is pretty foreign to you guys But I trust the info more here than I do other sites. Even Turbobricks.com scared me away because of the misinformation it has.

I'm getting some more upgrades later but this is what it's going to stay like for a few months. Later I'm going to add the turbo cam w/ adjustable cam gear, perfect power 6 (ECU tuner), and a Aqua mist system, so one day it's going to be a fun sleeper, for now it's just my DD (see my profile for the rest of the goodies it has).
Thanks for the help
Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting...toobad nobody has replied except for me and I may not be much help. However, I think your answer is in your factory engine management and how it works. You might possibly need bigger injectors, and the ecu may need reporgramming if possible to help compensate for the increase in boost. If Volvo's are anything like VW's in terms of engine management you might be hittin limp mode soon if your proceed in turning up the boost without doing anything else.

also, what kind of BOV or diverter does that thing have?...whatever it is you might need an upgrade there too just in order to hold the extra boost. I know with VW's thats the very first thing that has to be done in order to turn up the boost.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:03 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Default Re: (EASY101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">interesting...toobad nobody has replied except for me and I may not be much help. However, I think your answer is in your factory engine management and how it works. You might possibly need bigger injectors, and the ecu may need reporgramming if possible to help compensate for the increase in boost. If Volvo's are anything like VW's in terms of engine management you might be hittin limp mode soon if your proceed in turning up the boost without doing anything else.

also, what kind of BOV or diverter does that thing have?...whatever it is you might need an upgrade there too just in order to hold the extra boost. I know with VW's thats the very first thing that has to be done in order to turn up the boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the reply. The "overboost" level seems to vary from car to car in the same year and model. But the average seems to be about 15 psi. IPD advises not to go over 12 psi for risk of detonation. That's why I'm sticking it there. The BOV is built into the turbo. The wastegate actuator is what i've replaced. The stock one drops boost at higher rpm, the IPD model does not. As far as the engine management, that's why I want to buy the perfect power 6 (http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-94...-2736/)
Old 09-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: (Captain Evil Monkey)

PM roadracer4life, I'm sure he can answer anything you could think of about a turbo brick
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Autoworks)

Also check in with Splat from the ITR forums.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

So last night I turned up my boost a little. And I cut my turbo lag in half.
I can't wait to get the time to install the upgraded boost actuator.....
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Captain Evil Monkey)

cool. did you have to use a diode? did it run good at part throttle? did you pull the plugs? how do they look?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:38 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Default Re: (EASY101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool. did you have to use a diode? It runs great through all of the power band. Boost comes in sooner so the power curve is a lot smoother. did it run good at part throttle? did you pull the plugs? how do they look?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No additional parts. Just adjusted my wastegate actuator in two and a half turns. I'm going to replace the actuator Monday with the improved unit and replace the plugs anyway. I know they are old. Although I have to drill the wastegate cotter pin hole. the pin broke off inside of the lever.