Notices

legality of my turbo set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legality of my turbo set-up?

hey guys, im piecing my kit together as we speak, buti started thinking about the last time how they gave me grief about my custon intake when i was going to get my inspection, what do you VIRGINIA guys do when you put on a home-made turbo kit? im going to run 7 pounds with an FMU...what are you all doing to get past the brownies if anything at all? thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legality of my turbo set-up? (young noob)

You wont have the motor long enough to worry about it with the FMU

Do some research into a stand alone system like uberdata or crome, they are free so you're only paying the tuning cost.

As for inspection wise, if your car is obd2 then you would probably have to swapped it back to stock for inspection

As for OBD1, people have managed to pass with thier turbo set up on but it sound like they needed to do many tweak to the tune which i dont see a normal person being able to do
Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legality of my turbo set-up? (StolenTeg)

Where in VA are you? East of the mountains a lot of times they do smog testing, but in the valley they don't. Unless you're in Fairfax or some other huge overpopulated overdeveloped place you'll pass a normal state safety inspection fine.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: legality of my turbo set-up? (DanW)

well im just sounth of the overpopulated mess, i live in stafford, but its considered nova......****, looks like im not going turbo, and yes i am obd2 so in order to use crome or uberdata i would have to convert obd1, and then they makes my car illegal anyway......
Old 12-09-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 passed the scan in Alexandria with no sweat (running E-manage). Guy opened my hood and looked around for a while and still passed it. Half of it is the place you take it to, the other half is making it look clean enough to be somewhat legit.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Boilermaker1)

If you have to emissions-test it, here's a good idea how to modify the tune:

That's just for AFR, other things like leaking oil/etc can affect it too.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 AM

unfortunately I am already in that boat. I am not emissions legal. But I live with it. Still trying to figure out decent solution. If you dont want that headache S/C it..
Old 12-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: legality of my turbo set-up? (Drkaccrd)

supercharging it would be legal compared to turbo??? how so? they don't make a legal kit for my car, i have a d16y7...
Old 12-09-2006, 12:40 PM

check out jackson racing superchargers. I think they have kit for your car with a piggy back FMU. Or if your not thirsting for power piece together a Greddy kit with a piggy back FMU. Piggy backs will keep you street legal. Hondata,crome & neptune will not. But theres a trade off....... not having optimal performance with a piggy back.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: legality of my turbo set-up? (Drkaccrd)

not with my ecu, i would have to convert to vtec to use any obd2 piggyback......im almost sure with that, not 100%
Old 12-09-2006, 05:06 PM

I would check JRSC site and see if they make'em for non-vtec......
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM

ttt
Old 12-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody know if they do smog testing in Virginia Beach?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just found out they don't do emissions test in Va Bch.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legality of my turbo set-up? (JmurGSR98)

Yeah it's mainly in the Fairfax region where they do all the smogging. I live in Winchester, which is liek 40 minutes from Fairfax, and I'm just on the other side of the mountains and smog testing is unheard of here.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: legality of my turbo set-up? (DanW)

well do you all pass visual inspection with a diy turbo set-up?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i live in chesapeake, and i have never had to get smoged or anything like that just inspection have had 2 turbo kits and motor swaps, no problem
Old 12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well do you all pass visual inspection with a diy turbo set-up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You basically need to have all your factory emission devices working as they did from factory..

IE. PCV can be modified, but has to be in a CLOSED loop like from factory... Only way to be legit is to run a intake slashcut to vent the catchcan. Also, you need a catalistic conver, all your 02's, EGR (if appliacable), and have no leaks of anykind or smoke/smell etc from the exhaust under normal driving. Charcoal canister also needs to be hooked up and functioning.. and trust they know what you should have they have manuals but it takes them awhile to look anything up

Thats what it was for me, i got pulled over by environmental, and the fella didnt care that it was turbo/swapped, he just looked and ensured all of the factory emissions equipment was functioning properly (and when he discovered they werent, i got a $350 fine), then he was on his way. Just be polite VERY polite, and you will be supprised.. haha my ticket got returned in the mail officer didnt file it

Unless you have smog or something, then it may be different, but up here we just have a driveclean 2yr Etests.. which are easy to get fake anyways.

Goodluck.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not from Virginia, but here in Texas they are pretty **** when it comes to emissions. You could always pay the emissions tester off. If you dont know anyone who does emssions ask your friends if they do. If you cant find anyone just drive around some shops which look like they may be inclined to taking cash on the side. If youre not good at that sort of thing just spark a conversation, make a new friend and suggest that your car wont pass and if he would be willing to pass you for some cash, parts etc.
In Texas in order for me to pass i have to find someone with the exact car as mine or make and have the emissions test done on their vehicle. Then if/when it passes, I pay for the sticker and throw the tester like 50 bucks. In texas they cant just give you a sticker so they have to have some car do run the tests on.
Even though this is highly illegal and a heavy fine is given to any mechanic caught in the act. There is always someone who either needs the money, doesnt give a ****, is in the same boat as you and or knows where youre coming from and will accept cash for passing a car which would never pass.
Most of the time these guys are close in my age and have similar interest in cars. Youre always going to be able to find someone to do it even if it takes some time.
Remember its not illegal to ask. Just frowned upon.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Re: (hatchbkdrvr)

sweet, my emissions equipment should work no problem, i haven't disconnected anything, so i guess my budget t3 build with an fmu and an obd2 ecu running 7psi will be on its way shortly, im excited
Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 AM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (young noob)

why dont you remove the turbokit every time u test? its not like it hard. just remove it in an afternoon, drive it around all night stock, then test it the next morning and put it back on in the afternoon. why is that such a problem? all of my turbo hondas have been oem obd1, so i haven't dealt with this problem personally, but i know alot of people that do. come on, dont be scared to get your hands dirty
Old 12-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (young noob)

just switch everything over to do the testing a few days before the actualy test. The rest of the year run on your dyno/street tune. That's what I do. I am in OBD2 and I have the AEM in 360 days of the year. I convert everything over to the greddy piggyback system to do the legal crap.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blaze the chemi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaze the chemi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am in OBD2 and I have the AEM in 360 days of the year. I convert everything over to the greddy piggyback system to do the legal crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yikes that sounds like a pain, I just swap to stock ECU/injectors/map, drive gently, pass test, then put the aftermarket stuff back on.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (notoriousB)

Really whats it matter? He lives in Nova......it will be stolen soon anyway.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Really whats it matter? He lives in Nova......it will be stolen soon anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Harsh

Quick Reply: legality of my turbo set-up?