Notices

leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ?

Well turns out the inline pro gasket did not stay sealed. The deck height on one of the sleeves is too high in one corner so it leaks. It leaks about half a quart every 100 miles...is that pretty bad ? Anyways the motor needs to be torn apart and needs to go to the machine shop. Im just wondering maybe if its okay to go ahead and break it in and then get it dyno tuned before I tear it apart to get it fixed. I know the only thing ill need to replace when I put it back together is the bearings, so can I just break everything else in, tune it, tear it apart, fix the sleeves, and then rip it when I get it back together ?
Old 12-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (C-Redrum)

To my understanding you will need to break in the rings again if the pistons are pulled out. So it would be a waste of time and money to tune it.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (BVM)

kid,
why dont ya just deck the sleeves completely flat , inline w/ block? wouldnt that stop all ur seeln probs becuz of the stepd deck?
Old 12-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (roby)

you could deck it but do golden eagle cylinders have a seat to rest on like the Dartons sleeves? Or are they like JG which just float where the original sleeves once went and are held with some adhesive stuff? If so then theyre just gonna keep dropping theres nothign you can do about that and in that case you need a new blcok. sorry to break the news to you buddy but thats whats gonna happen

somebody post a pic of the underside of GE sleeves so we can all see

[Modified by SO3Burner, 12:54 AM 12/16/2002]

[Modified by SO3Burner, 1:28 AM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 04:03 AM

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (SO3Burner)

If so then theyre just gonna keep dropping theres nothign you can do about that and in that case you need a new blcok. sorry to break the news to you buddy but thats whats gonna happen

I feel sorry for some of the more misinformed, gullible people on this board...god knows how much money they have spent because of what someone else on the internet "thought" and told them...

yes we are going to get the sleeves decked so they align flat on the block...thanks man !
Old 12-16-2002, 04:23 AM

Where you suppose to send the block back to GE so they can look at it and determine if it's their fault? Vince and Ted even said that if it's thier mistake, they would take care of it. So what's the problem?

Old 12-16-2002, 06:24 AM

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (ekb18c)

half a quart every 100 miles.

don't drive the car.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:54 AM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (bgod)

man, just take the motor back out and send it to GE, they said they would help you out, you rasied hell, and got all this **** started, and then when GE tries to help you out, you ignore them..... if one sleeve is to high, then deck the block
Old 12-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If so then theyre just gonna keep dropping theres nothign you can do about that and in that case you need a new blcok. sorry to break the news to you buddy but thats whats gonna happen

I feel sorry for some of the more misinformed, gullible people on this board...god knows how much money they have spent because of what someone else on the internet "thought" and told them...

yes we are going to get the sleeves decked so they align flat on the block...thanks man !

hey wasnt that quote about the gullible misinformed etc..from a post directed at you in the first place? Im not misinformed pal...i got darton sleeves installed from the same shop that built the block and its worked fine for me. Ive hit 20 lbs psi accidently on pump gas and it held up fine, untuned! So you can take your little misdirected attempt at trying to humilate me and shove it where it belongs pal. Anyways good luck and have a nice day.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (ekb18c)

Where you suppose to send the block back to GE so they can look at it and determine if it's their fault? Vince and Ted even said that if it's thier mistake, they would take care of it. So what's the problem?
there is no way im sending the block back to Golden Eagle, they took two months with it before when they told me 12 days...Ill just take it to the machine shop.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Boostless97Lude

and you can't deck the block why?
Old 12-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no way im sending the block back to Golden Eagle, they took two months with it before when they told me 12 days...Ill just take it to the machine shop.
yeah, but what is s03 burner is right and they keep dropping even after you deck it. Jsut send it back to GE
Old 12-16-2002, 02:04 PM

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (Boosted97Lude)

and you can't deck the block why?
It was already decked...The problem is, one of the sleeves are about .0003 of an inch too high in one corner, so Im going to just have the sleeves milled so they are all the same height. I dont see how this could cause the sleeves to drop...Im not trying to humiliate you in any way s03, just wondering why you would say something like that...
Old 12-16-2002, 02:07 PM

By the way, here is a pic of a Golden Eagle Sleeved H22
Old 12-16-2002, 03:01 PM
Boostless97Lude

look, by decking the block, you the block will then be level all the way across,and decking the block doesn't mean shaving down just the stock part of the block, it would mean to resurface everything in order to make it level, hell, if your machine shop can't do it, send it to me, i'll make it level at school, no charge. if one sleeve is too high, then i wouldn't understand why decking wouldn't solve the problem, if one sleeve was too low, then i could understand why decking is not an option
Old 12-16-2002, 08:52 PM
New User

c-redrum, are you saying that one of the sleeves is 3 ten thousandths higher than the REST of the sleeves, or 3 ten thousandths higher than the BLOCK? the surface of the BLOCK should be flat, all around, to whatever the tolerance listed in the helms manual is. it's more than 3 ten thousandths, i'm almost certain. mine is packed up (just moved) or i'd look.

the sleeves, the four darked metal circles around the cylinders, should all be 2 or 3 thousandths (not ten thousandths) above the surface of the block, since you have a step decked block.

does the inline pro head gasket have a thick fire ring? i.e., is it thicker around the cylinders than it is elsewhere? if so, your motor will leak, because the combination of the step deck (the sleeves being higher by design than the block) and the fire ring on the gasket will mean that the REST of the motor (the block to the head) can't seal.

have you tried a stock head gasket? the step deck is designed to work with a stock head gasket... that's why they step it, to aid in sealing around the combustion chambers with a flat gasket.

by the way, nice pic of my motor...

[Modified by schwett, 9:55 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (schwett)

I'm not sure what you mean by "it was decked already"....if it' sbeen decked already, then there should not be a corner of teh sleeve protruding out of the deck. Whoever re-decked your block fucked it up
Old 12-17-2002, 06:27 PM

Default Re: leaks oil, still okay do to the normal things ? (paul_vang)

when i mean decked already, it has a step deck like schwett said from Golden Eagle...we used the stock gasket already in hope of it helping seal the block. When I say .0003 of an inch higher, it is in the corner of the sleeve, higher than all the other sleeves. It came like this from golden eagle
Old 12-17-2002, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

.0003 of an inch higher
That'd be one hell of an instrument to measure that accurately.