Notices

Leaking oil .... just what I needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking oil .... just what I needed.

So, as you might know, I finally installed the turbo a couple of weeks back. Well, after re-doing my oil feed and return lines, my car still burns a little oil. Sometimes a puff out the back, sometimes a puff from under the hood.

Here's the catch. I have not had time to do a compression check but I don't think anything (in the motor) is broken. When I was messing with the piping the other day, I did notice some oily residue coming from the compressor and a little into the first section of charge pipe. Hmmm...should a freshly rebuilt turbo do that?

Next, one of my DP bolts fell out, so I took another out so I could go get another from the hardware store. It looks like something might be spewing out from there. My guess is that some of that oil is blowing thru the motor and getting burned, and possibly splattering on the downpipe (the oil return was leaking before and doing that).

Kind of worried since I'm boosting with no real tuning yet, but I don't think anything (other than the turbo maybe) is damaged. Damn I hate my car.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leaking oil .... just what I needed. (mplex2000)

I am in the same boat as you. I just installed a T3/T4 and now I puff smoke out when I am decelarating and get back on it lightly I get a puff of smoke out the back. I haven't taken anything apart you to check but this weekend I want to replace my oil pan gasket and fix some other leaks so I don't have to smell oil all the time when I come to a stop.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:00 AM
New User

Default Re: Leaking oil .... just what I needed. (89civic1.8T)

In general, a puff of smoke on coasting or decelerating is due to bad intake valve seals. It does this becuase the intake manifold vacuum spikes and sucks the oil into the comb chamber. A leaky turbo will destroy a cat and will cause continuous smoking.

I would bet money on the valve seals.

Randy
Old 01-03-2002, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leaking oil .... just what I needed. (RGAZ)

I would say that's probably the case, except I've never seen a Honda burn oil with less than 150k miles....and since I replaced those puppies when I did the head swap about 5k miles ago I just don't think that's the case.

Anybody else have ideas? Should there be residue coming out of the turbo??
Old 01-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leaking oil .... just what I needed. (mplex2000)

What is the size of your oil feed line? What is the size of your oil return line? Where did you put the return line into the oil pan? All of these are crucial and if not perfect your car will do exactly what you described. I have had 2 out of 3 of these problems and you gave me deja vu. My car runs fine now just put a smaller feed line and larger return line. Its probably one of these (and not valves) since you have not touched your motor and only added a turbo. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leaking oil .... just what I needed. (SO3Burner)

This problem sounds very similiar to mine:

After boosting, very noticable at idle, a light to moderate amount of white smoke comes from my muffler. This may continue for up to a minute.

My friend and I have come to the conclusion that the increased crankcase pressure may be 'fouling' the oil return line preventing the turbo from draining the oil quickly, thus impregnating the seals with oil, which could then leak past a perfectly good seal until all of the oil is expended.

This problem (white smoke) increased exponentially when I placed a 'breather' filter on and open vac line spout on my valve cover (Slight increase in crankcase pressure). Once I took it back off, the problem lessened, but has not disappeared.

I am thinking about removing the PCV valve to decrease pressure further.

Hope that helps !