Notices

l be pumping way too much yet another fmu, vafc, injectors, pump question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another fmu, vafc, injectors, pump question.

I know these kind of questions are asked a lot, but it seems that there is no spacific answer for my question in the search.

ive been wanting to do a sohc turbo project for a while now. i started once and then sold it because of money issues. now i certainly have the money and am goin to do this rite.

I understand that i using an fmu and injectors and fuel pump and vafc is considered bad because it will be pumping way too much fuel. also, i understand that using an fmu and fuel pump over about 7-8 psi is dangerous because of fmu clogging issues. i also understand this and here is where my question comes in:
if i use a vafc and injectors and tune it to a, lets say 7.5psi, it would only be tuned for that psi. and if i wanted to change it, lets say at the track to 10psi, i would need a different fuel map.
but, what if i am using an electronic boost controller and want to turn down the boost to 5psi for every day driving, and only put it up to 7.5 when i want to go faster? would it run rich? if so would it be noticeably bad performance for 5psi? and is it bad to run that rich all the time?
also, if i want to run 10psi at the track, im pretty sure i would be running very lean, so i would need anothe tuner map. does the vafc have the ability to change maps? or would i now need hondata or something? i do not want to go to hondata w/ the sohc becuase i am planning on saving money for a dohc swap before i get hondata.

another idea that i had was to use an adjustable fmu (such as cartech (spelling?)). and having is set low, such as 4:1 instead of the standard 12:1 or 10:1. would it now be okay to run injectors, vafc, pump, and fmu; then tune it to 7.5psi. then when i lower the boost, itll run a little less rich because of the fmu and when i raise it, itll run closer to normal at the track because of the fmu.

THANKS!!!!

-Sean

Modified by v63000gtv6 at 6:05 PM 12/30/2003