Notices

K20z1ej1's "Hunter" turbo B18B build thread *2019 Going K-series!!*

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: K20z1ej1's "Hunter" turbo B18B build thread

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
believe me, i know BB is better and i know i would enjoy it more. unfortunately, i am poor lol. im trying to satisfy my addiction with the least amount of money possible. as for the GSR head, yes it would be better. vtec heads make sexier sounds and make more power, but they are expensive. at minumum i would be looking at 300-500 for the head, 150ish for a ls/vtec kit and i would have to buy new ARP head studs. race car parts add up quick, so im pretending my budget is less than it is, that way when i inevitably have to spend a little extra, ill still be ok. 10-4 about using stock lines and filter. i know i could get away with the stock regulator but id like to have rock steady fuel pressure to make my tuners life easier. ill be using Shell 93 octane and my cold side piping is also 2.5 inch.

Are there any regulators you recommend? id like to reuse the stock fuel rail and fuel lines if possible.

Ill probably stick with Shell 93 octane pump gas. theres only one E85 station within 50 miles of me I know its more work to get numbers out of an LS but i just cant pull it off financially at this time. A vtec head is probably in my future, just not right now. same with getting a tubular mani, and cams, they would be great i just want to make power on a budget for right now.

Also what do you guys think about connecting rod options? I know manley h beams are the go-to nowadays but is there anything wrong with SF, Scat, or Eagle? All the options i listed are $330-390 and i dont mind spending that extra $60 if there's a clear winner. Speedfactory claims to be the lightest (515g) and rated for 900whp. At $370, thats a good bargain. Scats come with the Nippon piston/rod combo i found on ebay, and at $343 theyre pretty cheap, but i dont know much about them. Any thoughts?
For that power, no. You'll need a fuel rail. As for regulators, I'm more old school with Aeromotive.. But for others, there is FUELAB.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your budget then? We need to know what is affordable to you.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan
For that power, no. You'll need a fuel rail. As for regulators, I'm more old school with Aeromotive.. But for others, there is FUELAB.
in addition, for what purpose you're trying to do, you actually can't afford NOT to go forecasting
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM

in addition, for what purpose you're trying to do, you actually can't afford NOT to go ball-bearing, honestly.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

believe me, i know BB is better and i know i would enjoy it more. unfortunately, i am poor lol. im trying to satisfy my addiction with the least amount of money possible. as for the GSR head, yes it would be better. vtec heads make sexier sounds and make more power, but they are expensive. at minumum i would be looking at 300-500 for the head, 150ish for a ls/vtec kit and i would have to buy new ARP head studs. race car parts add up quick, so im pretending my budget is less than it is, that way when i inevitably have to spend a little extra, ill still be ok. 10-4 about using stock lines and filter. i know i could get away with the stock regulator but id like to have rock steady fuel pressure to make my tuners life easier. ill be using Shell 93 octane and my cold side piping is also 2.5 inch. - At minimum you're going to need cams which means cams, springs, and retainers. Crower 402Ts or 404s to make those numbers without going crazy on the boost pressure. So you're going to spend at least that going VTEC + whatever you have to do to the head you get to make it usable.

Are there any regulators you recommend? id like to reuse the stock fuel rail and fuel lines if possible. - My Aeromotive A1000 has been rock solid for years and years.

Ill probably stick with Shell 93 octane pump gas. theres only one E85 station within 50 miles of me I know its more work to get numbers out of an LS but i just cant pull it off financially at this time. A vtec head is probably in my future, just not right now. same with getting a tubular mani, and cams, they would be great i just want to make power on a budget for right now. - You're not going to get great results unless you do something to improve the airflow through the motor. Pressure is going to be high in the crank case with all the boost you'll have to throw at it with that log manifold so think about doing something about it now.

Also what do you guys think about connecting rod options? I know Manley h beams are the go-to nowadays but is there anything wrong with SF, Scat, or Eagle? All the options i listed are $330-390 and i dont mind spending that extra $60 if there's a clear winner. Speedfactory claims to be the lightest (515g) and rated for 900whp. At $370, thats a good bargain. Scats come with the Nippon piston/rod combo i found on ebay, and at $343 they're pretty cheap, but i dont know much about them. Any thoughts? - My only experience has been with eagles and they've been in this same bottom end for about a decade now from 400-650whp

Last edited by LightningTeg; 07-13-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 9TechNine9
What is your budget then? We need to know what is affordable to you.
I was hoping to get to that power level for around $2k. Im glad i made this post, im seeing now that its probably going to be more than i can budget at this time so im dialing back my goals to 370-380 until i can comfortably spend the extra to get to mid 400s.

in addition, for what purpose you're trying to do, you actually can't afford NOT to go ball-bearing, honestly.
Understood, i will probably make the switch to BB, it does sound fun.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
AT minimum you're going to need cams which means cams, springs, and retainers. 402Ts or 404s to make those numbers without going crazy on the boost pressure.
10-4, i think i underestimated what it would cost to make the jump from 300ish to mid 400s. Even though i already have springs and retainers, the cost of cams and/or a VTEC head, combined with a better manifold and the other things i already had budgeted for, would be too much for me financially. I appreciate your input, as i know you've traveled down a similar path with your dc2.

I think at this time im going to shoot for high 300's instead of mid 400s. I think thats a more realistic goal given my budget. Thanks everyone for your advice and ill keep this thread updated with any progress. Cheers.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats up guys... i have car updates but this is just a quick post about something i experienced yesterday. any feedback would be appreciated. so i was leaving work and accelerating from a stop and i was probably about 40-50% throttle, a little more than just normal acceleration but far from full throttle. in first gear it felt fine, but in second gear around 4500rpm it just went dead... no fuel, no spark.. nothing. it wasnt like a rev limiter, it was just silent, like the ecu lost power or something. as soon as i let off the gas it fired right back up. super weird and i dont know if i should be worried or not. i checked battery connections and grounds and everything was fine. any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 255 Likes on 223 Posts

Ive had that exact issue before

my problem was a loose connection at the main relay connector

Try and data log when you have the issue. Most likely your ecu is loosing power
Old 08-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man I'll look into that
Old 08-09-2018, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You checked the ECU ground on the thermostat?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea it seemed fine, wires looked intact and its bolted down tightly
Old 01-21-2019, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well its been a while since i updated this thread and ive made some changes to the car so i figured why not post up. I've been trying to get around to posting progress but I'm either too busy or tired lol. This post is the summary of the past 2 months or so. I guess sometime during the summer I decided to focus on more than just the engine. I replaced all 4 struts and the car felt totally different, I was very happy with the results even though I used oe replacement shocks. When replacing the shocks I noticed the trailing arm bushings were shot so bought some Hardrace replacements. When replacing the RTA bushings, I noticed the rear upper control arms were shot lol, so i replaced those too. I also made a safety decision to get extended wheel studs for the front. With my slicks i was having to run 1/4 inch spacers which only allowed for the lug nuts to catch 4 turns each. Not safe in my book but they held up lol. I also got 19mm extended steel lug nuts.

got me some new OEM pedal covers. i drive barefoot when its not winter so these are a really nice "upgrade" from the bare metal before

Got tired of pushing oil out of the seals lol. Bought a Speedfactory catchcan

Weighed the car. Thats with full interior, a 10 inch sub and amp, and 1/3 tank of gas, no driver

Side exit exhaust. Really nice tone with the Vibrant resonator. All stainless, 2.5 to 2.75 to 3 inch, exits as 3.5 oval. I was very happy with how it turned out, even though i had to make some "adjustments" to the pinch weld there (ie, air chisel that bitch off) and hammer the chassis.

Went to the track hunting for 7s in the 8th and 90 mph+ trap. Previously my best time was 8.10 and best mph 89.7. We left with a 7.98 and best mph of 92.

The next day, the Snap-On tool bag you can see in some of the previous pics was stolen out of my Jeep at work. ************ got away with ~$2.5k in tools. I was about as angry as i can remember. Pic of the bitch thats too broke to buy his own ****.

Raced an Audi R8 (4.2 V8 model.) I cant say i won cuz the guy would not line up for a clean hit. He was more interested in weaving though traffic like a crazy person. Nevertheless we were door to door from 70-145ish. His girl looked over at me confused at about 130-140mph probably thinking "how is this piece of **** keeping up" lol

Right after that i ran into a hellcat charger and we had a great race. rolled from 60-120 and we were even from 60-90. from 90+ he pulled about 2.5 car lengths on me. it was awesome and we were both surprised that my car kept up at all. he gave me a respectful thumbs up afterward, always nice getting a nod from domestic guys.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do we have here.....

Mr. Boosted94GSR is the man in case yall didnt know. He sold me his Hunter when he upgraded to the 35r.

Downpipe modified to fit new 4 bolt exhaust housing and manifold coated with VHT high temp black

All bolted up with an Amsoil filter

Dyno day
Made 321 whp, 284 tq. old turbo made 321/278, both graphs are 18-19 psi.... looks like i need bigger cam lobes
Spool is much quicker and it now breaks the tires loose from a roll in 3rd.

I was hanging with friends after tuning taking them for a ride, and a wastegate bolt broke in the manifold lol. Homies b16 DA in the back ground

Got a Speedfactory billet cam seal for black friday cuz mine was leaking alot of oil

Time to see what this turbo can really do. Ive been collecting parts for another engine for a while now and finally got everything the short block and as of a few weeks ago, i now have Brian Crower stage 2 turbo cams. .470 lift compared to stock .393. These should make big power. Pistons are Nippon turbos 9.6 CR and of course Manely H beams and King Pmax bearings

Decided to do a bumper exit exhaust. I have wanted an exhaust like this since i was 18. It did not turn out how i wanted lol. I was going to borrow a friends Snap On TIG, but he couldnt find his torch. So i used the shop harbor freight MIG, It sucks. Long story short, i will be redoing it this week when my new TIG comes in the mail

My side exit is now for sale $250 and its yours (no shipping of course)

Bought some spare gears too. Just 1 and 2. i sent them to Liberty a few weeks ago and they called me today and said theyre ready. Ill be buying a Mfactory LSD and getting new 3/4 synchros as well.... and eventually a Hondata strain gauge.

Got the TRC app on my phone. **** is pretty cool. Clocked a 4.5 sec 60-100 run with mild wheelspin in 3rd.

Anyway, thats all for now. The built longblock should be assembled within the month of february and the trans should be ready in feb or early march. the goal is to run the 11.50 index at IFO Rockingham in April. Itll be my first event and im excited to see how it goes. Thanks for reading!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Car looks like it runs pretty good, especially for a stock LS engine. Where is Rockingham?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Car looks like it runs pretty good, especially for a stock LS engine. Where is Rockingham?
thanks man, Rockingham is in eastern north carolina about half way between charlotte and the beach.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man, Rockingham is in eastern north carolina about half way between charlotte and the beach.
‘gotcha. I’m looking for a few events to get to and have some fun myself. I think I’ll be kicked back in Sint Maarten that week
Old 01-21-2019, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx

‘gotcha. I’m looking for a few events to get to and have some fun myself. I think I’ll be kicked back in Sint Maarten that week
Sounds like an awesome vacation. Check IFO's schedule, they have a ton of events this year. Another good one is street car takeover. It's a lot more competitive than IFO because of the mix of imports and domestics and bigger payouts. Cool thing about SCT is they have roll race classes and non competitive test and tune runs as well. It's a really fun event. I'll prob give the fwd roll class a try this year too when SCT comes to Charlotte.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like an awesome vacation. Check IFO's schedule, they have a ton of events this year. Another good one is street car takeover. It's a lot more competitive than IFO because of the mix of imports and domestics and bigger payouts. Cool thing about SCT is they have roll race classes and non competitive test and tune runs as well. It's a really fun event. I'll prob give the fwd roll class a try this year too when SCT comes to Charlotte.
we host a Street Car Takeover in my home town, bowling green, ky.... definitely going this year
Old 01-23-2019, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: K20z1ej1's "Hunter" turbo B18B build thread *2019 Going K-series!!*

Bet this things a fun street car! Years ago I had a very similar turbo setup, managed to get a 7.87 with an LS open Diff cutting a 1.75 60ft, gonna build another one the same way, yours is putting out some good numbers! I'm over here in Wilmington so ill prob see your car at rockingham if you go
Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thomass
Bet this things a fun street car! Years ago I had a very similar turbo setup, managed to get a 7.87 with an LS open Diff cutting a 1.75 60ft, gonna build another one the same way, yours is putting out some good numbers! I'm over here in Wilmington so ill prob see your car at rockingham if you go
yea man its alot of fun on the street, ive bagged every v8 car ive raced with the exception of that hellcat lol. thats really good times for an open diff turbo ls, i cant seem to cut a 1.7 for anything. i recently read a few tricks online about getting open diff cars to burn both tires during the burnout and im gonna try it next time im at the track, hopefully it helps me get in the 1.7s or .6s. i think my car could definitely go 7.5-7.6 if i can figure out how to drive it lol. come by and say hi at IFO if you see my car!
Old 01-27-2019, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea man its alot of fun on the street, ive bagged every v8 car ive raced with the exception of that hellcat lol. thats really good times for an open diff turbo ls, i cant seem to cut a 1.7 for anything. i recently read a few tricks online about getting open diff cars to burn both tires during the burnout and im gonna try it next time im at the track, hopefully it helps me get in the 1.7s or .6s. i think my car could definitely go 7.5-7.6 if i can figure out how to drive it lol. come by and say hi at IFO if you see my car!
nice man! it took a lot of practice, If I remember I had my 2 step set at 6000 building about 8psi and preloading, pretty much gave it hell, expecting it hold or blow up an axle but it pulled it off. as far as the getting the open diff to burn both, I just did it in 2nd gear, held the e brake and slowly let off and the left tire would only spin for just a sec so I would do a longer length burnout, that worked for me. with your power level you could def get mid 7s. what size slick are you runnin?
Old 01-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If your not doing burnouts in 3rd gear I would do that, do them with the ebrake locked till the car drags itself out of the water box tires screeching. I didn't cut 1.6 60's till I started doing third gear burnouts.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
If your not doing burnouts in 3rd gear I would do that, do them with the ebrake locked till the car drags itself out of the water box tires screeching. I didn't cut 1.6 60's till I started doing third gear burnouts.
^^^^ hell yea send it!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thomass
nice man! it took a lot of practice, If I remember I had my 2 step set at 6000 building about 8psi and preloading, pretty much gave it hell, expecting it hold or blow up an axle but it pulled it off. as far as the getting the open diff to burn both, I just did it in 2nd gear, held the e brake and slowly let off and the left tire would only spin for just a sec so I would do a longer length burnout, that worked for me. with your power level you could def get mid 7s. what size slick are you runnin?
23x8x13 hoosiers. i think i need to wipe them down in wd40 before my next track outing. the rubber is a little hard from age and thats probably not helping my 60's either.

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
ill try 3rd gear next time. were you cutting 1.6s with an open diff?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

No I had a welded diff. The difference in feeling from a 1.75 to a 1.69 was pretty huge though. Can't wait to run my cars this year.

Quick Reply: K20z1ej1's "Hunter" turbo B18B build thread *2019 Going K-series!!*