Notices

Just wondering if anyone has done Cam comparison dyno runs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just wondering if anyone has done Cam comparison dyno runs...

I'm just wondering if anyone has spent the time to make several dyno runs each time with a different set of cams with the cams being the only change?

Just wondering whats out there...

And if not, anyone willing to try?

B16
GSR
ITR
CTR
Skunk...ect

It would be so cool to see an overlay of each cam...
Old 12-06-2004, 10:37 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just wondering if anyone has done Cam comparison dyno runs... (Bryson)

This is on my set up where I do rev high, I will eventually pull this up to 10,500. But here you go, alot of power at the same peak at 8700rpm but kept climbing after that too with ITR over 2000 Spec Si B16A cams

Old 12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh thats right, I remember you doing that. And the only change you made was the cams between the pulls?

I wonder how GSR cams would compare?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: (Bryson)

I swear I remember someone comparing the GSr and the itr cams, anyone back me up on this
Old 12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Werd...bump for more dynos. Lets make this the ultimate FI Cam VS Cam thread.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:58 PM

hrmmm....

what cams would you guys be interested in seeing? i have a couple of sets of various cams and some downtime coming up that i could possibly put something together to get a comparison going

run the same map at the same psi on a couple of different sets and just play slightly with a/f, timing, and cam gears to give each set a fair shake...

james innes
Old 12-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSC Motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSC Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hrmmm....

what cams would you guys be interested in seeing? i have a couple of sets of various cams and some downtime coming up that i could possibly put something together to get a comparison going

run the same map at the same psi on a couple of different sets and just play slightly with a/f, timing, and cam gears to give each set a fair shake...

james innes</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this (although to me it seems like it).

Personally It would be awsome to see B16, GSR, ITR, Skunk2 turbo, Blox turbo.

Of course other manufactues such as Crower, Crane, and Web would be cool to see too.

Bump for anyone else interested!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:02 PM

Yes ^ It would be cool to see some non vtec cams as well.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSC Motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSC Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hrmmm....

james innes</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's damn nice of you.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: (racinskittle)

tuned built GSR motor. ITR head, ITR cams, AEBS intake manifold - 330 WHP

same motor. new bearings (* broken oil pump), same pistons, rods, bore etcc, ported CTR head, GSR cams, JG edelbrock intake manifold. 300 whp . both tuned. to their specific setup.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project dc2)

Most people remember the old saying of "stock cams for boost". Well this was when a 60-1 was too big for most street cars.

We as an industry have come and gone in this page. We have surpassed the 60-1 and moved quite a bit up into everyday 500whp cars coming out every week it seems.

When our motors "VTEC", start to go into higher boost levels, 20-30psi+...Everything in the book thats not supose to work or shouldn't work gets thrown out the window.

Who would have believed a 2.0ltr motor could use a huge t-72 at 2 bar. IT just doesn't linw up on the compressor map very well. Well the same thing happens with cam lift and duration.

From what I have read, going to a large turbo like this say with a 4in straight DP, there is incredible gain by switching to a larger and longer duration cam. The "scavenging effect" holds ultimate gain. By having more lift and duration in an NA motor, we can make it more effecient and more powerful. The same principle applies some what to a TURBO motor to a certain extent. By making a motor more effecient and then adding boost we can gain spool, and power across the board.

Anyone remember a turbo dyno graph that someone from Titan showed? It had a JUN intake cam and a ITR exhaust cam. It made great power and had a very broad powerband. This is just the tip of the iceberg, what till someone plays with cam timing on some larger cams on a very open exhaust system, the scavenging effect will allow a more radical setup. I didn't come up with this idea but I did understand it better by reading Maxium Boost by Corky Bell.

Oh ya if you want a little personal experience, back in the late 90's when my good friend/old boss-John Brown was racing for Castrol he began expermenting with a radical car (center seat, 1.8ltr type R, methanol setup) This was the beginning of the Honda alcohol ERA. Everyone was using stock GSR/or B16 cams, he decided to try some CTR cams that he imported and they worked...they worked really good! Im not sure how much power the car actually made back in 1999 but it was rumored to be above 800hp+. Guess what cams I used in my 640whp+ street car? The CTR cams from the Castrol race program, they were the most used and abused cams I have ever seen, they worked great again. I would have broke 750whp plus on my setup but we just didn't have the time or need on the dyno. I would be willing to bet that there is a cam out there that would have made even more on my setup too!

Test the different cams-if your going to use bigger cams, use a bigger turbo, and a lesser restrictive exhaust setup (open dump) There will be gains somewhere.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow...awsome post man!

alright then, I wanna see CTR cams VS GSR!!!!

I'm basically looking for the most power out of my motor while I stick with the same turbo (.58T4 Ptrim SC61) since I don't have any more room...lol.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:34 PM

Awesome thread.. keep the tech info coming
Old 12-07-2004, 01:54 PM

It doesn't seem like anyone has even considered the fact of using aftermarket turbo cams. Everyone is intrested in just stock honda. I am new to the honda seen but in theory you would think that an aftermarket companies turbo camshafts should out preform a set of stock honda cams. I have ordered a set of comp cams new turbo cams the stage 3 ones. I will definately be doning some comparison runs to my stock gsr cams.

I am using a built ITR motor stock head with JG, ems and basicly a stage 3 full race kit. (diffrent cooler, bov, wg etc)

Old 12-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: (street_strip)

I am using web turbo cams on my boosted b16a, running 20psi daily. I dont have any comparrison on the dyno though, but from driving the car, the web cams pull harder from 7,000+ rpms.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for more intrest! Tell your freinds, family, peers!
Old 12-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The cams that you chose to use all depends on the size of your turbo, not necessarily the compressor side but more the turbine side(the hot side). the reason behind this is that the larger the a/r on the turbine the less back pressure there will be in the exhaust manifold. the less back pressure, the less reversion(exhaust air that comes back into the cylinders) you will get. the more overlap the more scavenging effect occurs, scavenging = efficiency, efficiency = power. the reason that everyone uses stock honda cams is cause no one really runs a big enough turbo to take advantage of the overlap that aftermarket cams can give you. As for what cams are better i think that the gsr cams will be a little better because they are a high lift low overlap style cam just like aftermarket turbo cams. That's not to say that you couldn't dial itr cams in to make more power if you have adjustable cam gears.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: (5.0killa)

I am interrested, especially with high flowing exhaust wheels ex. GT BB series turbo's. The higher flow the exhaust is, the less problems you will have with back pressure, and the hotter cams you can run in theory, hopefully we can see something along this line in practise. I think also, static CR will have a effect, a 7:1 motor might not like the long duration high lift cams as much as a 10:1 motor will. Few things to keep in mind.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definetly. It would be cool to see how the longer duration cams would effect power output on a T3, and T4 turbine engine. Not just peak HP and torque, but the actual area under the curve.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to see a comparrison of B16A cams, GSR and CTR or ITR cams.
I'm using a 1st gen. B16 cam which I'm thinking to get rid off it and get a GSR cam.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: (Importracer_001)

great post! something I've been looking for. . .

How much "dialing-in" of the cams are needed when going with the ITr or CTR set-up? I too would like to know which is better B16 vs GSR vs ITR/ CTR, not just HP but under the curve &lt;&lt;as Bryson stated&gt;&gt;

. . .and just to clear this up, the 2000-2001 spec ITR cams are the same are the CTR cams, correct?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4-banging)

Dial in overlap huh? I didn't touch the cam gears on my CTR cams,lol

But I agree the overlap could be played with and benefical with some adjustable gears. Remember what you were saying about us Honda guys not using big enough turbines and exhaust housings...That was back a couple years ago. Were on a much higher level now adays pushing the limits with large T-series turbos that go up to a 78mm compressor wheel and exhaust housings up too .82 a/r in a T-4 setup.

When we have cars pushing that kind of flow I'm only waiting for the next H-T bandwagon to start by using bigger and more aggressive cams. GSR, ITR, CTR, there only getting bigger. Just wait a little while for the masses of people to read up and catch up on it.

I don't think it will catch on like the SC61 caught on but cams will be changing soon. (I have seen the future in my Doloren?)
Old 12-09-2004, 07:12 AM
New User

Default Re: (SOUNDEFFECTS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOUNDEFFECTS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dial in overlap huh? I didn't touch the cam gears on my CTR cams,lol

But I agree the overlap could be played with and benefical with some adjustable gears. Remember what you were saying about us Honda guys not using big enough turbines and exhaust housings...That was back a couple years ago. Were on a much higher level now adays pushing the limits with large T-series turbos that go up to a 78mm compressor wheel and exhaust housings up too .82 a/r in a T-4 setup.

When we have cars pushing that kind of flow I'm only waiting for the next H-T bandwagon to start by using bigger and more aggressive cams. GSR, ITR, CTR, there only getting bigger. Just wait a little while for the masses of people to read up and catch up on it.

I don't think it will catch on like the SC61 caught on but cams will be changing soon. (I have seen the future in my Doloren?) </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right Nick!!!! I haven't even touched the cam gears on my ITR cams yet. On my B16A before I had gained 10whp but like 20 ft-lb more torque before. Good ish. My friend has some Crower Stage 2 Turbo grinds, We don;t feel they did much for him since his set up is very very close to mine, the exhaust cam did however snap in the burnout box messing up valves and also messing up his turbine wheel.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:32 AM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: (Boostfed)

Boostfed, are you running 97-98 ITRs or the 00-01s?

I am running 01 ITRs in my stock B16 with an SC61 by the way

:Shameless plug:
Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 AM
New User

Default Re: (HybridHatch88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridHatch88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boostfed, are you running 97-98 ITRs or the 00-01s?

I am running 01 ITRs in my stock B16 with an SC61 by the way

:Shameless plug:</TD></TR></TABLE>
96-98 Spec ITR sir.

Quick Reply: Just wondering if anyone has done Cam comparison dyno runs...