Notices

just started my turbo for the first time. couple of problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just started my turbo for the first time. couple of problems

hey whats up FI guys. im new to the turbocharging stuff, but i just installed my drag gen 3 turbo in my 95 LS. Everything is stock in the engine besides the kit now. im having several problems getting the car to run right.

- when i first started it, it idled fine for about 2 minutes. now the idle fluctuates from 400-800 rpm. i have upgraded to NGK spark plugs.

- also, there is smoke coming out from my turbo when idling. it seems as if its coming from where the oil feed line is or the exhaust side of the turbo. do you guys think its the seals? it is a brand new turbo kit. i have not checked for oil in my pipes or anything yet due to it being hot.

- there is also a small leak of oil from either the oil pressure sensor or the oil filter. once it cools down, ill check it out.

help and suggestions are appreciated, TIA.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just started my turbo for the first time. couple of problems (InTeGrA_bLazEd)

they ALL smoke when started up for the first time after installing. think of all the grease and handprints all over the stuff you put when installing. its burning that off.

if its BLUE smoke, thats oil tho! go over all your oil connections making sure they're all tight. hopefully its just a loose fitting, and your seals aren't shot (oil in pipes)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just started my turbo for the first time. couple of problems (esedulerp5tenin)

oil restrictor? it's usually a must.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 PM

well i just talked to ben from importparts.com. (he is the seller i purchased the kit from) i just checked my intake pipe from the filter side to see if there was any oil. none. i have a lil drop of oil from the bolts of the turbo which probably arent tight enough. ben told me i should check all vacuum lines, oil lines, and check for leaks anywhere in the pipes. after that, im gonna take it on a mellow road test to see how it is. i also have a little oil leak from either the oil filter or the oil pressure sender ( i didnt use any teflon tape, which i will redo) hopefully, everything is gonna run be ok on the test drive. i will let you guys know how it goes. in a bit
Old 06-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (InTeGrA_bLazEd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thelate1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oil restrictor? it's usually a must. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good call, i forgot
Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just started my turbo for the first time. couple of problems (InTeGrA_bLazEd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InTeGrA_bLazEd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
- when i first started it, it idled fine for about 2 minutes. now the idle fluctuates from 400-800 rpm. i have upgraded to NGK spark plugs.

help and suggestions are appreciated, TIA.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of fuel management are you running? It looks like you need a tuning.. I had the same experience when I first started my turbo. Idle was out of whack and smoke coming from the turbo. The idle was fixed after the tuning. And the smoke was gone after few run, it's just oil from my hand when installed it.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: just started my turbo for the first time. couple of problems (ongking)

bolting on a turbo kit shouldnt affect the idle. probably something you disturbed as in having a vacuum leak.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:58 PM

great...........now there's a leak in my oil feed line. theres a huge puddle of oil underneath my car. i was just about ready to take it off the jackstands and take it for a test run. it seemed to idle a little better than the first time, but that leak is starting to discourage me. just cant ever go smoothly. im running the fmu that comes with the kit. i didnt think it was completely necessary to upgrade to an EMS until my goals become more. the turbo didnt smoke at all this time. so it probably was just the residue.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where is the oil leaking from? (fitting on the block or fitting on the turbo?)
Old 06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (herecomesboost)

oil leaks always happen man, just takle each one untill there all stoped.

The rough idle is probably due to being rich (im not sure of your tuning) but my AFR's were in the high 10's upon cold startup on my basemap.. (once it got warm they were in high 12's) and cruising were in the mid 14'ss. anyways. All good once tuned.

Oh yeah. fix oil leaks, get tuned, the smoke is normal. It will smoke once you take it for a drive and things get hotter, you may even smell it and see it for the first few miles.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: (herecomesboost)

fitting on the block
Old 06-26-2007, 05:20 PM

welcome to racecars buddy lol
Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 PM

im a little relieved if these little problems are normal. they are right guys? well, my bro just went to pick up a new oil line and some more oil. we'll see what happens from there.