Notices

just resurfaced my head...

Old 02-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just resurfaced my head...

I've got 2 questions: The head was resurfaced 6-thousandths to get rid of a little warping... how much will this affect my compression ratio?

Next... the reason I had it resurfaced was because my headgasket went bad... it was leaking bad. What are the odds that I need to do this to the block as well? I.E., could the block be warped too? Do I need to worry about it?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: just resurfaced my head... (servion)

I doubt the block is warped. Many people resurface the head after a blown headgasket. You were just resurfacing the head not milling the head so compression shouldn't really change.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just resurfaced my head... (ekb18c)

Could you give me an idea of a situation where the block would warp?
Old 02-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sever heat.. ive worked at a machine shop for a few months and never saw a problem with honda decks.. mainly just heads have little warpage..
Old 02-11-2003, 02:07 PM

I had my block decked, after resleeving, and my head resurfaced all at the same time and ran into problems with the dial pins at each side of the head being too long because of the resurfacing of the head and block. It took me a while to figure out why I kept having coolant leaking from the head gasket.
Make sure you don't run into that problem!
Old 02-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just resurfaced my head... (turbo Si)

At what point is piston to valve clearance an issue? Milling both would bring the pistons closer to the valves.

Did you have to "clay" it before putting it together?
Old 02-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, resurfacing the head .006 will affect the c/r. Anytime you reduce the combustion chamber area, however slight- c/r is affected, be it slight.
Did you do the work or is a shop? When you found out your head needed resurfacing, the block should have logically been checked, as well. If you still have the head off you/they should do a quick check of the deck. Also, Piston/Valve clearance should be checked to be safe, but shouldn't be an issue with the amount you had taken off.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just resurfaced my head... (RAWB)

I pulled the head and took it to a good shop. I do understand that it will affect the c/r... can you tell how significant it will be? I'm running a JDM b18c (higher c/r than a GSR) boosted. The block is still in the car. I was thinking of trying to check if the block is warped myself... i.e, straight edge and feeler gagues... but I don't know where to locate a good straight edge...
Old 02-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jeremy -- its highly unlikely the block warped, simply becuase the amount of heat that would have to go into a block to actually warp it is HUGE. The amount of heat needed to warp a heat is miniscule in comparison. You can always use a straightedge to check, but its so rare that a block warps (let alone a honda block) that its almost impossible. If youre crank still turns freely, its pretty safe to say the block is straight.

Out of curiosity, why did you lose a head gasket and warp the head? What fuel mgt are you using? I think mayeb chase down the cause...
Old 02-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just resurfaced my head... (FFgeoff)

Well, I'm using hondata... street wideband tuned (by me) with a techedge. It was ran all-motor for a summer (by someone besides me) and I saw the headgasket began seeping down the block (by the vtec solenoid... but don't worry... I'm sure it was the head gasket and not a cam seal/etc). It just gradually got worse from there. So, it was leaking originally before I boosted it, and it has gradually gotten worse. I run about 12.5:1 under boost, and my partial maps are fairly decent.... 14.7:1 ish.