Notices

Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!!

First, I'd have to say that this has been one of the worst mechanics I have ever dealt with. I gave him my car because I was not holding compression. He took out the motor, bored it out to 80.5, put in new pistons, balanced and machined the block, and put it back in. I bought a speed pro unit from him but he sold it leaving me with what seems like a P28 ghetto rigged, an AVCR and VAFC both being untouched. It had an idle the fluctuated about 500rpm and was very sluggish. He said that it was very sluggish because nothing had been tuned but that I could leave it like this until the break in period was over. Well, 40 miles later I have gone through almost a half a tank of gas, and it has gotten even more sluggish. While accelerating even under very little load it makes like a put put put sound from the exhaust instead of the smooth deep tone and bogs quite often. The gas pedal feels very heavy and it sort of feels like the engine is flooded. There is also a gas smell coming from the interior but after extensive searching the origin cannot be determined. There is no gas leaking from anywhere and teh fuel pressure stays constant between 30 and 40 during idle. What could be the problem? Could this problem be already damaging my brand new motor? Also, I am running 370cc injectors and an aeromotive fuel trunk in my tank.. Also keep in mind that there has been no tuning done whatsoever even though I do have an AVCR and VAFC. Thanks in Advance
Old 01-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (KhRoNiX)

I would dis-connect the Turbo charge pipe, put on an intake, put in a stock GSR computer and injectors untill you break it in.
It should run like a stock GSR, if it doesn't you can look else where.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (CRVRX)

wouldn't that be bad for the turbo?! why not remove the wastegate to stop it from boosting?

sounds like your running really rich, are you plugs all black? how bout your exhaust?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (fastludeh22)

How'd he bore it out to 80.5mm when stock is 81mm? Your just running super duper rich from what you described. Like what the guy above me said.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (KhRoNiX)

I bought a speed pro unit from him but he sold it leaving me with what seems like a P28 ghetto rigged, an AVCR and VAFC both being untouched
Night and day differences there. I would go there and kick that guy and tell him he needs to tune it for you. Like John said, remove the charge pipe, throw on a stock intake and some stock injectors and ecu until it is broken in. For you to have spent that much money, that is very unprofessional and stupid for him to leave that car like that to be broken in.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (tzsir)

sorry, i meant 81.5. Will running this rich do any damage to the engine during the breakin period? And if I fix it now will the 40 bad miles that I drove hurt the engine in this delicate break-in process?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, i meant 81.5. Will running this rich do any damage to the engine during the breakin period? And if I fix it now will the 40 bad miles that I drove hurt the engine in this delicate break-in process?
You can continue to wash the walls if it is too much fuel. I wouldnt drive it until you get a stock ecu and injectors.

Jason
Old 01-13-2003, 05:15 PM

The worst thing that could happen is your o2 sensor could crap out. Do what they said.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Running too rich will cause the rings not to seat properly. I would really watch it if i were u. If your running with the turbo kit and FMU, i would just throw the stock injectors in and run those for now until u can get it tuned. Paul
Old 01-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!!

Perhaps this is why his shop has just gone out of business. For those wondering, the mechanic is Tony from T-Bone Performance in Miami, FL and he is now going to work for Orlando Infiniti.

Back to the problem, lets just say that I dont have the stock ECU or stock injectors. Is it possible to break in the car like this or should my best bet be to purchase a new standalone and get in some sort of base map so that the car at least works right for the break in?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perhaps this is why his shop has just gone out of business. For those wondering, the mechanic is Tony from T-Bone Performance in Miami, FL and he is now going to work for Orlando Infiniti.

Back to the problem, lets just say that I dont have the stock ECU or stock injectors. Is it possible to break in the car like this or should my best bet be to purchase a new standalone and get in some sort of base map so that the car at least works right for the break in?
People like that suck. Give you a car that is running like crap. Classic. Sorry for the frustration...just burnt out on people like that. I would just buy some stock injectors and an ecu from someone on here. Sell that VAFC and P28 and get the hondata later on.

[Modified by Blown90hatcH, 9:07 PM 1/13/2003]
Old 01-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (Blown90hatcH)

I can help you out with some stock injectors if you need some. Shoot me a pm. Paul
Old 01-13-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (TurboD16Z6)

I wouldn't continue to break in your motor with the car running like ****.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (TurboD16Z6)

I can help you out with some stock injectors if you need some. Shoot me a pm. Paul
Old 01-13-2003, 08:36 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just picked up Rebuilt Turbo GSR from shop....big problems!! (Blown90hatcH)

we can get you fixed up right if decide you want someone else to fix it. you may or may not have seen our street car around (pea green hatch), but our numbers speak for themselves. Anyway , if you want to take the drive up to ft lauderdale area we can maybe get things running right. If not try frank at south florida performance sfp.net. tell him mike from motormatrix sent you. email if you have any questions Mike@motormatrix.com