Notices

Just installed Tial BOV--delay in opening

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Tial BOV--delay in opening

I just got done installing my Tial BOV b/w the turbo and IC. (Previous setup was a Greddy Type S right before throttle body.)

When I hit full boost now (10-11psi) I get about a second delay before the BOV will open. So I hit full boost, let off the gas, get about a second or so of compressor surge, then the BOV opens. It was brand new before I put it on. Does anyone have any clue as to why it's opening late? My only idea is that the vacuum line is longer than on the previous setup, so it's taking another second or so to open. If that's the case, there's really no way I can shorten it up. I might be able to take another couple inches, but nothing that would really make a difference. Any ideas??
Old 07-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what spring are you using in it? try a lwoer tension spring
Old 07-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

Make sure you use a big enough size vaccum hose.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Flr Power)

scott, i think you should just hand over your entire turbo setup to me... but thats just my opinion...

call up Tial and see what they say....
Old 07-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what spring are you using in it? try a lwoer tension spring</TD></TR></TABLE>

whatever spring came with it. I'm pretty sure thats not the problem though. It still opens full strength, its just about a second or so late.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flr Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure you use a big enough size vaccum hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's big enough. The "T" that it's on is a 3/16" T-fitting, and the barb on the BOV is pretty large, so I got vac. line that's big, but small enough to fit tightly on the barb and T-fittings.

Do the Tial's come with multiple springs? I remember my Type S just quit working, so I took it apart and found both a hard and soft spring inside of it! Lol.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the bov should be going straight to the manifold. not teed on anything. but sometimes that isnt possible so use the line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator. I have a tial an have installed numberious tial and have never had a problem even on mass air flow cars they are great.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18ccivics)

Ok, I just took it for another drive. It seems that the BOV isnt opening until about 16" of vacuum. Which is why it seems like it opens late. B/c as the needle passes "0", the turbo starts to surge, until 16" when the BOV opens. Any ideas as to what would cause that? Wastegate?

Setup:
-Tial 35mm external wastegate and BOV
-BOV, wastegate, and boost controller line all T'd into the vacuum line b/w FPR and intake mani. The only other place I even have a vacuum line on my car is going to the brake booster.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboGoKart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboGoKart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">\
- BOV, wastegate, and boost controller line all T'd into the vacuum line b/w FPR and intake mani. The only other place I even have a vacuum line on my car is going to the brake booster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats most likely your problem right there due to a longer vacuum line coming from the IM to BOV, the bov sees vacuum later than if it were to be mounted on the charge pipe closer to the throttle body.
pick up a vacuum manifold and see if that solves your problem.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22 CD5)

I'll look into that, but I think it may be that my vacuum line isnt strong enough and it's collapsing on itself. Which would make sense why it's opening at about 16" and not right when I let off the gas. I'm gonna try this when I get off work today.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I tried a thicker vacuum line, and still goes off a little late. I'm super lost as to what could be causing this. The thing that really confuses me is that when I had my Type S on, it worked perfect! I dunno. Anyone have more ideas?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need a stronger vacuum source. Use the PCV source right off the top of the intake manifold with huge line. Mine did the same thing until I hooked it up to stronger vacuum, works great now. T-ing the FPR line is not going to cut it at all w/the tial.

Also, the Tials seem to surge a little if you are slow off the throttle. If you let off the throttle fast (like you would while trying to *drive fast*), it won't surge if hooked up correctly. But if you are really slow off the throttle you can get really light surge near 0 vacuum.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so grab a fitting which will allow me to T into the PCV line, and run the vacuum line from there to the BOV?

I'll do that after I get off work. Any idea off the top of your head what size that PCV line is?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1/4" or 5/16" should work...
Old 07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dustin)

had the same problem with my tial.
i have the 9 psi spring. it was teed into the factory fpr and was getting surge and a delay.
tee into the brake booster line BEFORE the check valve, and its mint. when i say before...i mean in between the intake manifold and the brake booster line check valve

good luck
if you need pics pm me

Old 07-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yehiknowrite)

Dustin, thank you so much! Lol. That worked. I T'd it into the PCV valve, and now the delay and surge are gone.

By the way, if anyone else ever has this problem, a 1/4" tee worked great. Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. I can't take full credit, considering Geoff @ full-race suggested a stronger vacuum source when I was having the same problem as you