Notices

Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo.....

I was paid 300 bucks to install the shytty SSAutoChrome Turbo kit on a D-Series this past weekend. This guy bought it off Ebay under the XSPower name, but it's still SSAutoChrome with "XSPower" engraved over all the cheap parts. I should have taken pictures. What a peice of crap. The only thing nice about it was the shiny intercooler and charge pipe, but the size of the pipes where 2.5" which I think is too big for the setup.

The car was weak as hell without the turbo, and it's still weak as hell with the turbo. It was a T3/T4 turbo. I couldn't even get the damn thing to boost 2 psi because I had to rev the car up to about 6000 rpm to spool the turbo. What a peice of crap.

Before I installed the turbo kit, I told him that it's gonna only last about 2 weeks, but he was determined to "RICE" up his car, even with cheapass shyt. I told him before to spend the extra money and get the Greddy kit for SOHC motors. It will save hime much more money in the long run because he won't have to fix his car later after the turbo and manifold break down.

The turbo and manifold took up so much room that I had to take out the whole AC system in the car and cut holes in his bumber where the OEM fog lights usually sit to fit the intercooler pipes. The turbo outlet also sat way down low so the intercooler pipes were almost hitting the ground. If it was a good manifold, there wouldn't be this problem.

Would I do another install like this again? Maybe for $400. I had to do so much customizing. It's not like a drag or greddy where everything just fits.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (masterasia)

Yup, those are not nice parts. A 2.5" charge pipe is perfectly fine though and the boost issue is almost definitely an install error (no WG spring or no fire ring)
Old 04-17-2006, 04:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by masterasia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I couldn't even get the damn thing to boost 2 psi because I had to rev the car up to about 6000 rpm to spool the turbo. What a peice of crap.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats an install problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (4-ageTOg63)

It might be the wastegate spring. The kit did come with a yellow and a green spring. I'm not sure what was in the wastegate, but there was a spring in there.
I had to push it with some force to open it. It might just be a .25 bar spring or something. And I had the fire ring on right. There was no vacuum leaks or anything. It was sitting around -22 on the gauge. The Boost gauge the guy bought wasn't top notch either. Just some cheap ebay stuff, but it should be fine.

The only thing that needed to be down was attach the down pipe to the CAT, but the Downpipe from the kit was too long the flanges didn't even line up. In fact, it didn't even have the complete flange at the end of the down pipe. SSAutoChrome just welded on the peice that connects the bolts together. The pipe it self was still 2.5" and didn't fit into the CAT. It didn't have that curvy part that goes into the hole like the head of a *****. But anyways, that shouldn't have anything to do with the lag time. When I installed my turbo, I left the down pipe open for a couple of days and it boosted fine.

I can hear the turbo spin, but I don't feel boost. I even tighten down the cheap BOV all the way to hold in more boost. What a piece of crap the BOV was. It was suppose to be extra loud, but it sounds like the stock BOV on a WRX. Sounds like air breathing out of an intake.

Modified by masterasia at 2:28 AM 4/18/2006
Old 04-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good'ol SSAutoChrome lol...
Old 04-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by masterasia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It might be the wastegate spring. The kit did come with a yellow and a green spring. I'm not sure what was in the wastegate, but there was a spring in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if its not the WG then i would say its a boost leak from one of the top quality charge pipes or the blow off.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i want a 2.5 bar spring!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (Bailhatch)

I don't know and I don't care. It's not my car. It's not my problem. My task was just to install the parts. If the parts don't work, then that's his problem
Old 04-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i want a 2.5 bar spring!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yeah! 37 PSI!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by masterasia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know and I don't care. It's not my car. It's not my problem. My task was just to install the parts. If the parts don't work, then that's his problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have installed a few of these kits. It sounds like an install problem or a bad turbo.

How many turbo kits have you installed? Don't take this personal, just a question. I know the kits aren't the best quality but all that I have install or had a part in tuning have worked fine minus stuff breaking down the road.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have installed a few of these kits. It sounds like an install problem or a bad turbo.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed. i just did one of these myself last week. works fine. i did replace the unknown wastegate spring with a 6.5psi tial spring though.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (safe driver)

have you even driven the car???

free revving wont build boost in the first place
Old 04-17-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (safe driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How many turbo kits have you installed? Don't take this personal, just a question. I know the kits aren't the best quality but all that I have install or had a part in tuning have worked fine minus stuff breaking down the road.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've installed a Greddy, a Drag, and a DSM upgrade, so I think I'm pretty experienced enough to install a SSAutoChrome kit. Those T-Clamps where on super tight so I don't think that's the problem. That turbo looked like a rebuilt spay painted with a powder coat. Then it had "XSPower" engraved on it. They really tried to make it look professional. The ad on Ebay said it was a Garret, but I didn't see anything with a brand name on there. My garrent/turbonetics turbo had A/R on the seals and the trim embossed on the compressor. This ebay turbo didn't have any of that. Just a piece of sheet metal tacked on by a welder saying it was a T3/T4 turbo.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Just Installed a SSAutoChrome Turbo..... (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you even driven the car???

free revving wont build boost in the first place </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 PM

is there any kind of fuel management?