Notices

just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi

is this known as boost drop? or is it leaking?

it use to peg at 6-7 and stay there.....

just installed the greddy type 31 intercooler, no boost controler yet.

am i leaking or is this normal? i'm gonna get the greddy profec b after christamas.....
Old 12-22-2001, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (2000EX)

it is normal to loose 1-2 psi through your intercooler. that is pressure drop.
Old 12-22-2001, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (DragII)

ok but it goes to 6 then back down to 5....

i expected a pressure drop, but its going to 6 then down to 5...

is that a leak? or still considered a pressure drop?

it use to go to 7 and HOLD there...
Old 12-22-2001, 08:10 PM
New User

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (2000EX)

greddy kit right. the wastegate is set at 5.5psi so it's problay just between the 2. dude its cool dont worry. you can make a boost controller too, just a bleeder valve. thats what most mbc's are anyway. i have the turbo xs mbc, it cool
Old 12-22-2001, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (clean)

bleeder valves from what i hear and read, arent as good as g-valves. but those are MBC's

i want to run a electronic boost controler not a manual because i dont wanna mess w/ turning screws...

the greddy one has 2 settings a high and low boost setting. just set both then i can switch between both easily from INSIDE the car.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (Bandwagoneer)

why would your pressure drop if all ur doing is cooling the air.. ur boost gauge is reading air velocity being blown by the turbin. When air enters the intercooler and gets cooled.. there is still the same amout of velocity onced cool.. now the air is just denser.. if anything you should gain boost cause ur air now contains more oxygen..

If i'm wrong then i'm confused would someone please set me straight..

thanks.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (TORQUE MONSTER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TORQUE MONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would your pressure drop if all ur doing is cooling the air..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because of the the restriction caused by the turbulators in the core.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TORQUE MONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur boost gauge is reading air velocity...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your boost gauge measures positive pressure, not velocity.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TORQUE MONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">being blown by the turbin.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The air is blown by the compressor not the turbine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TORQUE MONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When air enters the intercooler and gets cooled.. there is still the same amout of velocity onced cool..</TD></TR></TABLE>
There is the same quantity of o2 molecules they are just packed more tightly, that does not mean the velocity of said air mass stays the same prior and post cooling.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TORQUE MONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now the air is just denser.. if anything you should gain boost cause ur air now contains more oxygen..</TD></TR></TABLE>
The air is more dense because of a reduction in heat, not more compressed. It contains the same amount of o2 molecules, they're just packed in tighter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TORQUE MONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If i'm wrong then i'm confused would someone please set me straight..
thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You're welcome.
James
Old 07-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (bluboy)

i thought pressure drops were due to the fact that when any gas is heated up it expands, and once it is cooled the expansion decreases therefore creating a drop in pressure. and the restriction from the fins of the intercooler is only momentarily- the initial spool up where the compressed air hits the tubulators....man hope that came out right, dont flame hehe
Old 07-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (bluboy)

i got ya!! ok then let me ask you a few questions

1) If boost is drop when you add an intercooler.. say from 7 to 6 psi.. ur saying the 6 psi has a "stronger" combusion then teh 7 psi because you got denser air in the 6 psi.. if so..

2) what if I'm running 10 psi right now and i added an intecooler and is now running 8.. can i bump it back to 10 and be safe.. cause now my cooled 10 psi is making a whole bunch more power then my uncooled 10 psi..so in actuality i'm really pushing over 10 uncooled..

thanks

Old 07-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (TORQUE MONSTER)

I'm not familiar with the waste gate on the Greddy kit. Does it have a vacuum line to the actuator? If the vacuum line to the WG actuator is attached to the intake manifold (where it should be), then your boost level should remain constant. If the vacuum line is attached to the compressor housing (like some I've seen) or prior to the intercooler, then you'll definitely register a loss of boost as rpm's increase. Intercoolers cause at least some "resistance" no matter what, but some cause more than others.

&gt;&gt;If boost is drop when you add an intercooler.. say from 7 to 6 psi.. ur saying the 6 psi has a "stronger" combusion then teh 7 psi because you got denser air in the 6 psi..&lt;&lt;

That depends on a lot of factors. If it's a warm day, or you're in boost a lot, charge temps on a non-intercooled setup are going to get really high. In this case, the 6 psi intercooled will definitely provide more power. Although, 7 psi non-intercooled may provide more power briefly (i mean really brief).

&gt;&gt;what if I'm running 10 psi right now and i added an intecooler and is now running 8.. can i bump it back to 10 and be safe.. cause now my cooled 10 psi is making a whole bunch more power then my uncooled 10 psi..so in actuality i'm really pushing over 10 uncooled..&lt;&lt;

IMO, 10 psi intercooled certainly won't be any more "dangerous" than 10 psi non-intercooled. It may result in increased exhaust manifold pressure, but that's not really a big deal until you are dealing much higher boost levels. Really, you've just "traded" one problem for another. Lack of an intercooler can (will) result in detonation, which can certainly destroy your motor. And, too much power can break rods. The power "problem" is a much more fun problem to have though.

Old 07-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (fsp31)

actully the wierd thing about my set up is.. I have a rev hard on a b20 block.. and i've set the WG to open at 6 and some how i'm getting 8-9 psi..

3" d/p and exhaust
intercooler
Old 07-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

&gt;&gt;and i've set the WG to open at 6 and some how i'm getting 8-9 psi..&lt;&lt;

Is the WG vacuum line as short as possible? What about Tee's? If anything else is on the same vacuum source that the WG actuator is, that may be the culprit. I highly recommend having the WG vacuum line on it's own reliable source since it's so important. One good boost spike and kaboom...
Old 07-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed Intercooler... boost goes to 6 then back to 5psi (SilverS)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=563858

This helped me out
Old 07-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TORQUE MONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got ya!! ok then let me ask you a few questions

1) If boost is drop when you add an intercooler.. say from 7 to 6 psi.. ur saying the 6 psi has a "stronger" combusion then teh 7 psi because you got denser air in the 6 psi.. if so..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Colder air = increased density i.e. more O2. 6psi intercooled will deliver about the same or more O2 to the combustion chambers than 7psi non-intercooled.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2) what if I'm running 10 psi right now and i added an intecooler and is now running 8.. can i bump it back to 10 and be safe.. cause now my cooled 10 psi is making a whole bunch more power then my uncooled 10 psi..so in actuality i'm really pushing over 10 uncooled..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.