Notices

just installed greddy turbo runs super rich at idle after a while??? BLUE BOX????

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed greddy turbo runs super rich at idle after a while??? BLUE BOX????

Hey guys, Im kinda new to the turbo world. just yesterday I finished installing my Greddy turbo kit on my d16z6 hatchie. I changed my head gasket, and water pump before the install for cheap insurance. I started the car up and it ran flawlessly. After about 10 minutes of Idling it started to idle really rough, almost like it was missing. I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing with a turbocharged vehicle. I also noticed my A/F meter was almost pegged out to the rich side when it was doing this.

I took it out for a quick drive and it seemed to bog out before the turbo would spool up and then it seemed to hesitate a little under boost. It just seems to be running really really rich. Is this normal????

Anyways I drove it around for a while and then came home and shut it down after about 3 minutes of idling. I took it back out on the road a couple of times to see if the problem would work its way out but it didnt seem to help.

The very last time I took it out last night, I drove it for about 20 minutes and then let it sit and idle for a while and it seemed to idle perfectly until after about 10 minutes then it went back it to a rich idle mode. What could be causing this?????

Also when i am under boost, my boost gauge quickly builds up to about 5.5psi and then drops off to about 4psi at high rpms. Is this normal???
Old 04-20-2003, 07:41 AM

Default Re: just installed greddy turbo runs super rich at idle after a while??? BLUE BOX???? (hondafrk)

All of which you are asking to be normal or not, isn't. I don't have an A/F guage but I think they're only accurate at wide open throttle. It definately shouldn't be running crappy like that. Mine ran great right away. The boost fall off is definately not normal either. Mine never fell off although there are some people that say theirs does. Wish I could help out more but I never had anything happen like that to me. I definately don't think its the blue box.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:57 AM

Default Re: just installed greddy turbo runs super rich at idle after a while??? BLUE BOX???? (boostsohfast)

I know something that if you are using a wastegate to control boost manually, sometimes youll get that boost falloff due to the wastegate kicking in. Im not very sure on this, I know sometimes my cousins car will hit 10psi breifly then drop off back to 7 (which is what he has it set at) due to the wastegate releasing pressure to control the boost level.

Does that make any sense?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed greddy turbo runs super rich at idle after a while??? BLUE BOX???? (Shift!)

Ive have also heard about the boost levels falling a little at high rpms, I'm not to terribly worried about that, I am however worried about the rich idle and the hesitation. I know that the turbo doesnt spool instantaneously but I know I had more power at low rpms before without my turbo. It just feels like it is bogging down a bit before the turbo spools up. Could I maybe have the map sensor wires mixed up on the blue box???? or could someone have maybe messed with the pots in the blue box before I got it?? I bought the kit used with a fmic, bov, and turbo timer for 1400 bucks. He said it worked great but I have never had this problem before. Maybe I just have a bad blue box. If it is I will just get a V-afc hack.

Also, My boost fall of situation isnt as bad as I thought was, It only drops from about 5.5 to just a little under 5.