Notices

just got turbo kit done. couple ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got turbo kit done. couple ??'s

just got finished building my turbo kit, and hopefully installing this weekend. gonna be starting on a basic crap tune, and i have just a couple questions for some assurement on my project.

my setup: 98 ek hatch, b18a1, je 9.0:1 pistons, stock rods, king race rod&main bearings, nippon gas nitride coated rings, az race block guard, garrett t3/04e turbo, fullrace street ram manifold, 3" downpipe, tial 38mm wg w/5.83psi spring, apexi ws exhaust, no cat, 12x31x3 fmic, 2.5" piping, hks ssqbov, 450cc dsm injectors, dc rail, b&m fpr, summit full flow fuel filter, -8an fuel lines, stock return line....etc, etc...

ok, my questions are: any kind of plugs for recommendation before starting this up? should i run the boost all the way down to the 5.83 for a certain amount of time? how long should i wait to try up'ing the boost any?(only planning on running 7psi max w/o a dyno tune) any certain fuel pressure i should work with? stock fuel pressure? lower fuel pressure since bigger injectors??

I know alot of this stuff i'm just gonna have to watch for. I don't have a wideband, so i know i shouldn't even pay attention to my a/f gauge just using narrow band. and pay more attention to spark plugs, and exhaust conditions. but this is my first turbo build, and now that it's come down to the actual turbo'ing application, just rounding everything up, and wanting to make completely sure of everything that needs to be done and monitor'd. any insight to this would be appreciated! thanks!!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont even know where to start on this one....first off, why are you running stock rods if you took the time to build the engine???

Secondly, a narrowband isn't a great way to read your AF.....

Thirdly, you should have it professionally tuned ASAP
Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just got turbo kit done. couple ??'s (stevil_knevil)

and so i don't sound like i don't know anything about setting this whole thing up...

my game plan:

start out with boost all the way down(greddy profec-b2), holding the inlet turbine for 30 seconds, then release. let it run for a minute. shut it down. take off feed line from the turbo, make sure oil is getting to it. same with return. reattach and restart the car. if it's idling low, check all the necessary vacuum lines, boost gauge, boost controller, bov, wg, making any adjustmants, if needed, and let it run for a minute or 2, check the plugs. if flooding, turn the fuel pressure down, vice-versa if leaning out. after making sure it's not flooding or burning up plugs, let it run for about 5 minutes, and get up to temp. while monitoring everything, then give it some revs to build pressure, doing all the same checking as before. then checking plugs again, after having some load on them. if all checks out well, a couple trips up the road and back, and re-checking again, and probably replacing plugs so i don't wear the washer seals out. then after is all and well(hopefully). go out and just kinda drive fast w/o trying to race everyone that i come up beside....at least for a day or 2. or ??
Old 11-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just got turbo kit done. couple ??'s (stevil_knevil)

building another swap outside of this one, and not really looking into getting an extreme amount of power out of this build. basically just something that i can toy around with, without going broke on, and can swap this kit out to the other motor when it's completely built, and drop it in. and will be going for a dyno tune in a week, i don't drive too much right now, so won't have alot of stress on this setup right now. just want it to run pretty decent until i do go for the tune....and yeah, i dont even pay attention to the a/f ratio gauge right now. not until i get my wideband. probably not the smartest thing to do, but i'm just gonna be going off of plugs, exhaust smoke(if any), and boost monitoring, to adjust the fuel to an even level. have helped install a couple turbo kits...an srt-4 kit onto a pt cruiser, lol. and a t3/t4 upgrade kit on a awd dsm. both worked out really well, and still run really well, and have never been tuned. i'm sure they could be better with a tune. but still...i'm not completely lost on this project. just looking for any insight. hopefully i don't blow it up. but if i do, i guess i'll learn from it.